• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A cheap attempt at deception?!

55 posts in this topic

209_zpskrsabsab.jpg

Check out this book I bought.

It arrived and has a small chunk missing from the bottom right corner. I bought several books from this guy and on no other photo (or any of his other listings) is there a deep black shading in the bottom right.... It leads me to be believe he doctored the photo using photoshop, or some similar program to hide the chunk that's missing.

Whilst they were in the post I went on to buy more from this guy but have not yet paid for this next order. I've confronted him and told him I will not be buying the others, he has completely denied it and turned quite nasty accusing me of slander! And he has threatened to open unpaid item cases on the other books unless I buy them! And even threatened to start legal proceedings!

His response is truly bizarre! It's weird! As if I'm going to buy the others after him pulling a stunt like this!

I only bought it for cheap but that's not the point is it?

I've a mind to take up the matter with ebay and return the lot of them, on principle. Can I prove he has messed with this photo? It's plainly obvious to me that he has, but can it be proved? So I have grounds for the return.

SDC18210_zpsjgngfcbl.jpg

Does look very fishy but he may have just had his finger on the lens of something. I'd just notify E-Bay that you want to return the package and its not as he claimed (unless the text of the thread states a corner is missing or gives you a grade that is typical for a book without a corner). I'd definitely block him.

Really, a lawsuit over a $15. Funny book. How far does he think it will go? I'd just file with PayPal and send' em all back and be done with him. Doesn't look like a book you can't find any day of the week.

Is the correct answer.

how much did that issue cost anyway? are generic late 60s superman issues suddenly worth something?

£4.71!! Hardly worth the hassle! It's that I believe he's cheated me and his strange and abrupt response that's got to me.

Is there a program out there that can detect photo manipulation? There must be. I'll nail this spoon to the wall if I can prove he's not flying straight :)

It was definitely done purposefully.

If you took a photo of this same comic and the one part that should be viewed as an issue with condition is covered-up, you would take another photo.

Or if you were lazy, you might make a comment like "There is a really bad damaged bottom corner that you can't see in the photo that adversely affects the value of this comic book."

If the listing said "See photo for condition" and you intentionally splotched out the photo, then you're a dink. And you shouldn't be giving your money to dinks.

Find yourself another seller of comics.

If it were me: I would save the photo you took, and a copy of the photo he took (with the corner blotched out) and keep them as evidence incase it is challenged, but I would open a case for a refund and send the comic book back as "not as advertised".

I don't think Ebay will put up with those shenanigans.

Of course for $9, it's probably not worth the hassle. I'd probably just suck it up and put that person on the Banned Ebay seller list. And chalk it up to a $9 lesson in caveat emptor.

-Terry

I've taken craptacular photos like that before because of lighting/shading/whatever. Could be that's all that was done but since it worked out for him on this one because of the way the shadow hit & hid the defect, he didn't bother to retake the photo.

Now, his response & reaction is a whole other story. But I don't necessarily think it's photoshop as much as a photo that was taken specifically to get a shadow to cover the damage.

I don't know if he was trying to do this intentionally. His reaction is complete garbage, but for a book that was $7.35 (US Dollar conversion) which is what my 2 year old OSPG puts a 2.5 G+ at, I don't think it's worth anyone's time to either attempt to cheat someone or to go into a full on fight over.

"Whilst they were in the post I went on to buy more from this guy but have not yet paid for this next order. I've confronted him and told him I will not be buying the others, he has completely denied it and turned quite nasty accusing me of slander! And he has threatened to open unpaid item cases on the other books unless I buy them! And even threatened to start legal proceedings!

His response is truly bizarre! It's weird! As if I'm going to buy the others after him pulling a stunt like this!

I only bought it for cheap but that's not the point is it?

I've a mind to take up the matter with ebay and return the lot of them, on principle. Can I prove he has messed with this photo? It's plainly obvious to me that he has, but can it be proved? So I have grounds for the return."

I didn't read this part of the post. I revise my initial comments.

F-him. Go to war. Nuke his arse!

Mind you, I don't have your message to him, I suppose the way it was phrased could have made him turn into a bigger insufficiently_thoughtful_person, but i doubt it.

No doubt in my mind it was a deliberate attempt to use the photo to hide the defect. Why use a photo that obscures the defect? But it's not worth the effort to pursue over a few measly dollars. Just block him and nail him on the feedback. Just make sure you don't use profanity so that he can have it removed.

Not to excuse this guy's behavior, but what was your response to him?

You say you "confronted" him about it and that's when the bizarre behavior started on his part. Did you bring up the issue politely or did you come at him guns ablazin'?

I think a lot of these issue can be avoided if people act rationally and politely.