• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A cheap attempt at deception?!

55 posts in this topic

209_zpskrsabsab.jpg

Check out this book I bought.

It arrived and has a small chunk missing from the bottom right corner. I bought several books from this guy and on no other photo (or any of his other listings) is there a deep black shading in the bottom right.... It leads me to be believe he doctored the photo using photoshop, or some similar program to hide the chunk that's missing.

Whilst they were in the post I went on to buy more from this guy but have not yet paid for this next order. I've confronted him and told him I will not be buying the others, he has completely denied it and turned quite nasty accusing me of slander! And he has threatened to open unpaid item cases on the other books unless I buy them! And even threatened to start legal proceedings!

His response is truly bizarre! It's weird! As if I'm going to buy the others after him pulling a stunt like this!

I only bought it for cheap but that's not the point is it?

I've a mind to take up the matter with ebay and return the lot of them, on principle. Can I prove he has messed with this photo? It's plainly obvious to me that he has, but can it be proved? So I have grounds for the return.

SDC18210_zpsjgngfcbl.jpg

I had something similar happen one time. Bought a book off ebay. Description was good. Photo was good. However, the photo was taken with the comic still in the bag and there was a price sticker obscuring a tiny part of the cover.

When I received the comic, I took it out of the bag and right where the price sticker was, there was (surprise, surprise) a tear in the cover. Gee, what are the odds that the exact placement of the price sticker would be right on top of the tear?? :eyeroll:

The rest of the comic was really nice though. Asked the seller for a partial refund and he agreed.

Interesting discussion and some good points made. Cheers lads.

What I'm gonna do is; nothing at all. That is, unless he opens unpaid cases against me... In that case I'll pay for the second order and when they arrive, fire back with return requests for all 14 books and hit him with negs.

Clearly the guy has deceived me but at the end of the day I've not exactly lost much, and the other books I got from him are pretty sweet and filled some gaps in my ASM run.

Definitely need a good reliable seller over here, problem is I loathe using B.I.N's! I like finding private sellers off loading personal collections.... They're few and far between but I find some nice bargains that way.

If you do not want the other books - just tell him that and ask that the orders be cancelled. He can do that. If he refuses - you have little choice but to pay for the books.

He lists no returns. So your only option for a return - would be to file "item not as described". Will probably work - but actually not the case (as he has no real description so cannot really be "not as described")

Could neg him all you want at that point - but they would all be easily removed with one phone call. He followed ebays rules.

The guy is not what I would call a high quality seller by any means - more like a garage sale vs a high quality comics shop.

I do hope you find a better seller in your area - don't really know how tough that will be.

Best bet - request the orders be cancelled. If not - then pay for the books - and chalk it up to a learning experience. If you do anything - leave positive feedback with notes describing the issues. Much harder to remove. Something like - "pictures/scans need to be better" -- "seller should provide grades" "seller need to provide images of back of book". Think of it as a learning experience - if you find another seller you think you will like - only buy 1-2 books at first to see if the quality is up to your expectations.

you have a lot of buys - lots of chances to post comments on what the seller should be dong better.

We're nerds killing time on something we enjoy. They're public servants that making little over minimum wage & are constantly under pressure to perform to metrics that they might not even care about on issues they don't care about.

Plus, we have more fun with it.

pretty sure mailmen/people (or are you talking about the police) make a lot more than minimum wage

there are beat cops around here who make six figures once they rake in the overtime

We're nerds killing time on something we enjoy. They're public servants that making little over minimum wage & are constantly under pressure to perform to metrics that they might not even care about on issues they don't care about.

Plus, we have more fun with it.

pretty sure mailmen/people (or are you talking about the police) make a lot more than minimum wage

there are beat cops around here who make six figures once they rake in the overtime

When did we start talking about mailmen? I was talking about the cops.

EDIT: a quick google search showed me that I'm off base on this. Apparently their cops do make some decent money in Myrtle Beach. $70k-ish. I didn't bother to check before because I was going off my knowledge of cop pay in non-metro PA areas from a few years back & assumed that for a relatively similar sized municipal area, it wouldn't change much. I guess they look at it as "pay the cops well, they'll keep the crime rate down & keep the vacation destination allure thriving"

Edit Edit: A little more of a search shows that starting pay is only 33k. Works out to about 16/hour. Not sure how much of a bump a detective gets there though. Still not "not much more than minimum wage" but not exactly 6 figures either.

Why not give Comicana Direct a try?

They're based down south, it's true, but their grader is originally from Liverpool, and you won't have any more unpleasant learning experiences or dodgy scans.

Have a look at their eBay store.

Did some post wander into a black hole and end up far from where they started?

I have no idea. I actually just got super confused about what we were talking about at all, to be honest. Replied to a reply to something I posted & ended up totally lost. Think I'm back on track. Forgot which thread I was in for a moment.

Why not give Comicana Direct a try?

They're based down south, it's true, but their grader is originally from Liverpool, and you won't have any more unpleasant learning experiences or dodgy scans.

Have a look at their eBay store.

I agree with Paul here,they are great,great folks to deal with.Tops.

"Edit Edit: A little more of a search shows that starting pay is only 33k. Works out to about 16/hour. Not sure how much of a bump a detective gets there though. Still not "not much more than minimum wage" but not exactly 6 figures either."

Starting pay. Likely during a probationary period. It goes up rapidly from there.

But hey, minimum wage in my state is going to be $15 pretty soon, so you are not too far off.

I know, I know, I have wandered way off topic. But as an attorney who defends police/peace officers I watch this stuff as many of my clients make more than I do. They have a union, I do not.

"Edit Edit: A little more of a search shows that starting pay is only 33k. Works out to about 16/hour. Not sure how much of a bump a detective gets there though. Still not "not much more than minimum wage" but not exactly 6 figures either."

Starting pay. Likely during a probationary period. It goes up rapidly from there.

But hey, minimum wage in my state is going to be $15 pretty soon, so you are not too far off.

I know, I know, I have wandered way off topic. But as an attorney who defends police/peace officers I watch this stuff as many of my clients make more than I do. They have a union, I do not.

My initial statement had more to do with my experience with similarly sized municipal cops a few years back (had a few friends on the force at the time) and they were essentially making $9-12/hour for their first few years & only once they got bumped to detective started making about $45k/year. Non-metro areas & police pay scales vs city cops are completely different animals in my experience. Google says 70k for myrtle beach cops, the cops website says starting at 33k. So somewhere in-between.

It wasn't an insult to the cops. More of a "they're underpaid & stressed & this is a case they don't care about because it's just funny books" & chip was having trouble getting a call back while us nerds went so far as to check the pixel density of a photo to see if it was doctored to hide a missing corner of a comic book. Plus, it was lame joke.

In NYC, starting pay for a cop is what they get while in training. Once on the streets, they get periodic bumps. It used to take five or six years to max out. Now it is a bit longer. My youngest nephew made about $27,000 while in the Academy. After three years on the street, its almost double that, thanks to overtime. He's trying to get on to the force in Nassau, WHERE AVERAGE PAY IS ABOUT $140,000 FOR A VETERAN PATROL OFFICER.

In NYC, starting pay for a cop is what they get while in training. Once on the streets, they get periodic bumps. It used to take five or six years to max out. Now it is a bit longer. My youngest nephew made about $27,000 while in the Academy. After three years on the street, its almost double that, thanks to overtime. He's trying to get on to the force in Nassau, WHERE AVERAGE PAY IS ABOUT $140,000 FOR A VETERAN PATROL OFFICER.

Good. If my net worth is $10M+, I don't want to have to depend on rookies making $12.50 an hour for my safety. And ideally, I'd rather have police who at least live somewhat near the community they protect. Sometimes, that costs more. So be it.

He has to open cases to get his ebay fees back I wouldn't hold that against him.

What I would do is just pay for the books and move on and leave pos FB. Just to be the bigger man. Save your outrage for someone who really screws you.

This is the wisest course of action.