• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

John Ridley's Mystery ABC Marvel Show

26 posts in this topic

John Ridley’s ABC Marvel show almost certainly isn’t about Ms. Marvel

640.jpg

http://www.avclub.com/article/john-ridleys-abc-marvel-show-almost-certainly-isnt-223382

“My only connection to social media is my lovely wife, who is dialed in, and I can tell you that 99.99999 percent of everything that was put on social media was so phenomenally off-the-mark,” Ridley said. “Not to be arcane, but the rumors are truly off-the-mark. But it’s in a fun way. I’m just glad to be part of the conversation.”

Said conversation stemmed from speculation on Reddit, with internet prognosticators identifying Kamala Khan, the most recent incarnation of Ms. Marvel and the first Muslim-American Marvel headliner, as the show’s lead character...

So the Ms. Marvel rumor isn’t true, unless Ridley really doesn’t understand how percentages work. If Ridley’s math is to be believed, that also eliminates a reimagined Incredible Hulk and a Cloak & Dagger series, two Marvel properties also frequently mentioned in rumor-mongering about Ridley’s project. But at least those have been crossed off the list, so there are only a few hundred other possibilities to go through before the central character is identified. Viva process of elimination!

They need to hold off on Runaways until I have a 9.8 in my collection. I only have a 9.4 at the moment & I'm being cheap on how far I wan to open up my wallet right now.

Brother Voodoo

I wouldn't assume it is an African-American character because the director is African-American. It could be anyone.

But I was hoping for Cloak & Dagger. He shot that rumor down with this latest article.

Runaways seems reasonable. I'm voting for Darkhawk.

You know what MIGHT have made sense though? A weekly procedural family drama with the Fantastic Four and the kids where every week they either go into space, alternate dimensions, fight a bad guy, or a mix of those. Something you could watch with your kids. Probably would have taxed the budget a bit though, but I think that makes more sense than any FF movie story.

YOu know what else might make more sense but is more plausible? An Iron Fist limited show. Hasn't been a tv Kung Fu show in a long long time. It can have plenty of action without the guns or blood (so family friendly) and can lead in to other things like heroes for hire or defenders too. Or for more family-ness, make it KID IRON FIST and have him growing up in Kun Lun and occasionally foraging out into the real world.

Runaways seems reasonable. I'm voting for Darkhawk.

You know what MIGHT have made sense though? A weekly procedural family drama with the Fantastic Four and the kids where every week they either go into space, alternate dimensions, fight a bad guy, or a mix of those. Something you could watch with your kids. Probably would have taxed the budget a bit though, but I think that makes more sense than any FF movie story.

YOu know what else might make more sense but is more plausible? An Iron Fist limited show. Hasn't been a tv Kung Fu show in a long long time. It can have plenty of action without the guns or blood (so family friendly) and can lead in to other things like heroes for hire or defenders too. Or for more family-ness, make it KID IRON FIST and have him growing up in Kun Lun and occasionally foraging out into the real world.

hm

Iron Fist is already slated as part of the Marvel/Netflix series. It's the 4th series (and last) before Defenders.

Make it an Agent of Shield type show in outer space.

Marvel's S.W.O.R.D.

S.W.O.R.D. (Sentient World Observation and Response Department) is a fictional counterterrorism and intelligence agency in the Marvel Comics Universe. Its purpose is to deal with extraterrestrial threats to world security.

Wiki Entry

A lot of people trying to claim it will be the muslim Ms Marvel, but I think that's highly unlikely. While its possible since she is an inhuman, it doesnt seem to work in my mind, in terms of timing, names, having her introduced without knowing Carol, etc.

I think they hired him to lay the ground work for black panther, I think we are going to get a Wakanda based show, maybe even T'Chaka as the black panther as a young man, in Agent Carter's era so their is crossover potential.

that was my guess in April, still think its plausible...

the Karmla Kahn thing was always clearly wrong

“The only thing I can say about it is that I’m really in love with that project,” said Ridley. “I continue to give Marvel and ABC credit because within their system they’re still trying to bring in other voices. I’m in the development stage where I get down on my knees and pray that it goes forward.”

hm

Micronauts through an agreement with the toy company?

In 1998, AGE, Annex Entertainment, Gribouille and Kaleidoscope Media Group planned to produce a Micronauts animated series starting with a five-part miniseries to air on the Sci Fi Channel in Fall of 1998, followed by a syndicated 26 episode Micronauts animated series for 1999, with action figures and a Marvel tie-in comic announced. The project appears to be shelved or canceled.

It's been attempted before.

only thing with the Micronauts... since their comic rights are over at Devil's Due or Image or IDW something, I don't think the Disney mothership will support a deal where a show helps promote a comic published by someone else. (Even if Disney looks at the comic line as just some extra gravy & isn't a priority in their decision making)

John Ridley on His Secret ABC Marvel Project

There’s been a lot of mystery about the Marvel TV project that you’re developing and I know you can’t talk specifics about it, but I’m curious, what attracted you to the Marvel universe and made you want to play in it?

RIDLEY: I grew up reading graphic novels, which back then were comic books. I’ve written some. I have kids who, with as much social impact that American Crime or 12 Year A Slave has, they could not care less. They’re just at that age. Back in the day, when I was growing up with things like Star Wars and Superman, they were quality work. We’ve seen really good things that are based on these fantastic universes. And I can’t talk much, at all, about it, but when Marvel and ABC approached me about the project, it felt like a good fit. Look at Jessica Jones and what they’re doing. It’s quality stuff. So, I hope and believe that, if we have the opportunity to do it, it will be done with quality. Because it is something that people maybe go, “Why would John do that?,” I love American Crime and I love what it’s about, but it’s a hard show.

Moon Knight, Ghost Rider or maybe Blade. It fits his recent focus.