• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGM Avengers #16

10 posts in this topic

Just bought this and I'm in discussion with the seller about returning it but would be interested to hear your thoughts on the grade. It looks lovely, no tears or dents, off-white to white pages but the real shocker (undisclosed) was a detached centrefold. Thanks for your input.

scan0001_zps6yr6ztfz.jpg

scan0002_zps7t2ebsse.jpg

With just the minor stress lines, minor edge wear, blunted/creased corners this book would be IMO a VG/FN 5.0, however...

The "Store Stamp" brings it down to a VG 4.0 but...

It appears the book has been re-stapled and if the centerfold is "completely" detached it puts this book into the GD range.

Seeing that the cover is relatively nice I would say the overall grade with all defects considered is a GD+ 2.5.

With just the minor stress lines, minor edge wear, blunted/creased corners this book would be IMO a VG/FN 5.0, however...

The "Store Stamp" brings it down to a VG 4.0 but...

It appears the book has been re-stapled and if the centerfold is "completely" detached it puts this book into the GD range.

Seeing that the cover is relatively nice I would say the overall grade with all defects considered is a GD+ 2.5.

I don't think it's been re-stapled at all. I don't think the store stamp would hurt the grade that much, either. Maybe half a point. I think CGC would grade this out at about a 5.0-5.5.

Interesting observation on the staples. Looking at the reading crease on the back cover, this unusual staple stress may not really be that unusual. (shrug)

Not trying to start an argument, grading is subjective.

Just trying to understand how you guys arrived at VG/FN 5.0 and Fine- 5.5 Grades.

5.0 VERY GOOD/FINE (VG/FN)

Stamped or inked arrival dates may be present.

4.0 VERY GOOD (VG):

Store stamps, name stamps, arrival dates, initials, etc. have no effect on this grade

Centerfold may be loose or detached at one staple.

3.0 GOOD/VERY GOOD (GD/VG)

2.0 GOOD (GD):

Centerfold may be loose or detached

Just trying to understand how you guys arrived at VG/FN 5.0 and Fine- 5.5 Grades.

4.0 VERY GOOD (VG):

Store stamps, name stamps, arrival dates, initials, etc. have no effect on this grade

2.0 GOOD (GD):

CGC has no officially published grading standards, but I've seen books with a detached staple in as high as FN CGC holders.

4.0 VERY GOOD (VG):

2.0 GOOD (GD):

CGC has no officially published grading standards, but I've seen books with a detached staple in as high as FN CGC holders.

This. CGC has reset the boundaries for detached CFs and sub creases.....

Thanks for all the replies. It looks like I over estimated it's grade when buying, I put it at 6.5 and it does look very nice in hand (my scanner seems to bring the worst out in comics). Overstreet has a detached centrefold at 2.5 max so the CGC bump people mentioned is interesting & confusing. ???

3.0/3.5 - the detached centerfold not being disclosed is not kosher at all.

I know. If you're going to sell something I thought it would be common-sense to look at the whole of the comic first but the seller has agreed to refund and pay the postage costs as well so I think it was a genuine mistake on his part. At the same time I bought 6 other early Avengers from him which I'm very happy with. I'll put these up in the Avengers collecting thread at some point.