• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is your Modern Comic Grail?
2 2

323 posts in this topic

This is a good point, I think they have an appropriate case already but with all of CGC's recent upgrades, it could mean that they'll step it up in their verification process. I'd really like to have a Thorn tales from the lantern graded once I find one. Such a gem from Smith's college days.

I'm in Ohio near OSU and I've only ever seen one them that I thought was legit. Probably only seen three or four total. It's a pretty rare book.

Hello, fellow Cbus-er !! :hi:

This is a good point, I think they have an appropriate case already but with all of CGC's recent upgrades, it could mean that they'll step it up in their verification process. I'd really like to have a Thorn tales from the lantern graded once I find one. Such a gem from Smith's college days.

I'm in Ohio near OSU and I've only ever seen one them that I thought was legit. Probably only seen three or four total. It's a pretty rare book.

There are literally dozens of us! :hi:

There are literally dozens of us! :hi:

Oh ! Is there a club ?

If so, sign me up !

It's not a matter of size, it's the inability for CGC to authenticate it, due to fears that it could be easily photocopied and/or counterfeited.

Same reason they don't slab copies of Goobledygook 1 or 2.

It's not a matter of size, it's the inability for CGC to authenticate it, due to fears that it could be easily photocopied and/or counterfeited.

Same reason they don't slab copies of Goobledygook 1 or 2.

I can see why it's difficult to authenticate Gobbledygook #1 and 2 given that they were originally photocopied but Thorn is a bit different. It looks to me that it was professionally bound and printed. Are these kinds of books regularly counterfeited? I've been watching auctions of Thorn for quite awhile and I don't think I've ever heard of a fake one. (shrug)

Besides my spiral bound 30 Days of Night #1,Walking Dead #1. I just acquired my ultimate goal this year.

TMNT 1-4 I know it's not a modern, but it's close enough. I have always wanted them, and my two boys are Turtles crazy. So I had to expedite this goal.

:cloud9:

Besides my spiral bound 30 Days of Night #1,Walking Dead #1. I just acquired my ultimate goal this year.

TMNT 1-4 I know it's not a modern, but it's close enough. I have always wanted them, and my two boys are Turtles crazy. So I had to expedite this goal.

Congrats Oakman! :applause:

I know it's extremely hard to find which is why the second one that sold on eBay after the NM sold raises my suspicion. The NM copy came from a pretty reputable guy. What are the key features to look for when trying to find a real copy? I'm confused as to how someone could counterfeit this type of book? ???

Thanks, I'm floating on cloud 9 with this one. :cloud9:

I know it's extremely hard to find which is why the second one that sold on eBay after the NM sold raises my suspicion. The NM copy came from a pretty reputable guy. What are the key features to look for when trying to find a real copy? I'm confused as to how someone could counterfeit this type of book? ???

I can't help you there, I don't really know how to spot a fake, or even if fakes are a legitimate problem with this book.

My own suspicions were raised just from the situations at the time. Nothing overt about the book itself caused them, once was due to the person with said book being a known shady type and the other time was because the book was just so much more blue than any image / other copy of it I'd ever seen. I don't know if that is meaningful at all - I know production standards weren't exactly high for that book.

Thanks, I'm floating on cloud 9 with this one. :cloud9:

Thanks awesome! :applause:

If you want one they can be found. It's just a matter of how much are you willing to spend to acquire one.

I would not be alarmed by the second copy that sold recently. I personally have no reason to believe counterfeit copies are being sold, but that unfortunately doesn't mean it's not a possibility.

I can't help you there, I don't really know how to spot a fake, or even if fakes are a legitimate problem with this book.

My own suspicions were raised just from the situations at the time. Nothing overt about the book itself caused them, once was due to the person with said book being a known shady type and the other time was because the book was just so much more blue than any image / other copy of it I'd ever seen. I don't know if that is meaningful at all - I know production standards weren't exactly high for that book.

From what I've heard only 1000 were printed and many were discarded. Just a small campus bookstore made these so I wouldnt expect the colors to remain very vibrant. The NM copy that sold was kept in a safety deposit box for a long duration and even then the colors didn't pop.

My personal grail:

Severed #1 SDCC variant CGC 9.8 SS -- Signed by Scott Snyder and Scott Tuft.

One of a kind as Snyder didn't go to SDCC that year and Tuft is no longer interested in working in comics.

I'll post an image when I get around to it.

Love that book!!!

Hey Everyone,

I lucked into a copy of Thorn: Tales From the Lantern last August on eBay -you could fit just about three GSXM1 into the Thorn book. It's a bit smaller than a regular TPB, but bigger than a traditional paperback. I'm not sure how you could create a fake for it - the copy I have looks like it would be difficult to counterfeit. I can post pics tomorrow if it would help.

Edited by The Mad Irishman