• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Detective Comics #411 - The silent game changer?

36 posts in this topic

Just snagged a 9.4 off Heritage, White Pages and terrific wrap.

Only went to $800. I was expecting to pay more, based on some of the crazy prices I've seen people listing inferior copies for.

....I like this book. I paid 300 for a white paged 8.0, but it also has a perfect wrap. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Only went to $800. I was expecting to pay more, based on some of the crazy prices I've seen people listing inferior copies for.

Nice snag. (thumbs u

Nice snag. (thumbs u

Yes. Definitely a nice snag. I might have gone for it myself if I had known. Still looking for an upgrade to my mid-grade raw copy.

The wrap on the 9.8 is tolerable to me. I don't mind seeing a little white so long as it's straight and even. What I really hate is when the wrap is canted in one direction or the other.

I have a difference of opinion with a friend when it comes to 9.8's. It's all about aesthetics. I feel a 9.8 should look like a 9.8. Perfect wrap and white pages or ow/w at least. He doesn't. Those heavy white strips are a slap in the eyeballs. How does o/w pages and a lousy wrap garner a 9.8?

The wrap on the 9.8 is tolerable to me. I don't mind seeing a little white so long as it's straight and even. What I really hate is when the wrap is canted in one direction or the other.

I have a difference of opinion with a friend when it comes to 9.8's. It's all about aesthetics. I feel a 9.8 should look like a 9.8. Perfect wrap and white pages or ow/w at least. He doesn't. Those heavy white strips are a slap in the eyeballs. How does o/w pages and a lousy wrap garner a 9.8?

....in this case "When in Rome, we must do as the Romans do....", and CGC has always graded books for their state of preservation and left almost all production issues off the table. That's why we must buy the book and not the label..... but I understand their point..... if the book is in exactly the same shape as when it came off the press, it should be "mint". Personally, a straight 1/16" strip doesn't bother me...... but when it begins to widen , so does the gulf between my wallet and the book.... GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

If that were the case, very few books prior to 1992 would ever qualify.

As Jim said, they grade based on level of preservation, rather than aesthetics. It's impossible to argue that a book doesn't have a 1/4" color breaking crease in the upper right corner if it does.

It's equally impossible to argue things that are subjective, like how a "miswrap" affects the "eye appeal." Aesthetics, by definition, are subjective.

This all makes sense. It's about paper preservation/condition. In my mind, a serious miswrap would keep it out of the 9.6-9.8 realm. A 1/16th white strip I can live with, but a strip that starts as 1/16th at the top and ends up as a 1/4 or more at the bottom disqualifies it in my mind, I guess and as the previous commenter noted, keeps my wallet in my pocket. I guess I'm thinking of two different matters.

"Visual appeal" is indeed subjective, but with PSA in the card grading industry, they do take it into account when assigning the final grade. I think it's too late for CGC to use this criteria as too many horses have already left the barn, but this is why I don't think the advant of CVA is not a bad idea.

"Visual appeal" is indeed subjective, but with PSA in the card grading industry, they do take it into account when assigning the final grade. I think it's too late for CGC to use this criteria as too many horses have already left the barn, but this is why I don't think the advant of CVA is not a bad idea.

Yes, this concept has been around in coins for quite a while now, and despite the relentless mocking that CVA got here, the idea is not a bad one at all.

And, NGC does the same sort of thing with their "star" and "plus" designations.

And, of course, there's still the 9.1, 9.3, 9.5, and 9.7 designations that are steadfastly resisted, but will eventually have to come into play.

The only other thing that bothers me about the miswraps is the loss of art work on the other side of the book. Especially with DC's 52 page 25 cent issues. Those spam strips can be really obtrusive. It wasn't enough that the spam strip could be as wide as it was, but on many issues graded 9.8, you had the spam strip, THEN the 1/16 to 1/4 inch white strip. Just about becomes a sketch cover at that point! I wonder if these 9.8's sell for less than something properly aligned?