• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Detective Comics #411 - The silent game changer?

36 posts in this topic

Sometime in the modern era, Bruce Wayne was re-envisioned as a renowned legendary billionaire playboy philanthropist womanizer. It's equally part of the Batman mythos. But the man is a magnet for the woman and he uses that to his advantage numerous times.

A great short on

might show you what I mean.

And while we see the women come and go, we have little insights into why any of it matters except for - hey, he's the man's man.

The believe is that his real love interest is with Catwoman. However, he's been with Vicki Vale, Poison Ivy, Wonder Woman, Lois Lane, Harley Quinn(?), Batgirl(?).

But out of that list, the entire list, only one woman successfully had "relations" with Bruce Wayne and did something amazing - had a kid. And not just any kid but a likable kid. Damian Wayne. And while I'm already seeing trends for Batman #655, and rightfully so, the one woman who did the seeminly impossible in the DC universe, had her fist appearance right here in this comic - Talia Al Ghul. Their relationships has changed the DC Universe forever I'm sure.

2131120-talia_al_ghul_prof_pic.jpg

:grin:

I just bought Detective 411, too. I haven't read it yet but I bought it so I could add it to the Batman Ras Al Ghul Adams run. Batman 244 is probably my favorite Bat comic ever.

I think this one falls squarely into that whole early Ras Al Ghul story line.

Btw, did you ever see the animated series? I loved how they called him "detective". Talia was little more than a lover's pet but she was still an interesting character who had her own charms.

I haven't thought about it in a while but for a long time Talia was my favorite female character in all of comics. Probably still is. She has this 'unknowable' quality about her which is very attractive to me. I think I read that that's what Denny and Neil were going for from the outset.

My favorite portrayal of her would probably be in BTAS. Love her in that.

I picked up this copy about 3 or 4 years ago for 10 bucks. It's cool she's on the cover :)

R7vY9j0.jpg

I just bought Detective 411, too. I haven't read it yet but I bought it so I could add it to the Batman Ras Al Ghul Adams run. Batman 244 is probably my favorite Bat comic ever.

Btw, did you ever see the animated series? I loved how they called him "detective".

That's from the comics.

Btw, did you ever see the animated series? I loved how they called him "detective".

That's from the comics.

That is exactly correct. Anyone who hasn't read the Adams/O'Neil run continues to do themselves a disservice. Many stories from the '70's are "dated", but that saga is good old fashioned adventure without a whiff of a timeline.

Read Son of the Demon or Bride of the Demon to see where Talia fits in. The Demon related GNs are good reads that expand the Bruce/Talia relationship.

This is good to know, I have the first Demon GN, and I have been wanting to pick up the trade with all three.

Also, I picked up Tales of the Demon, the re-released version that came out when Batman Begins was released. I noticed the coloring was not right without having read the original issues, I then found the first printed of TOTD from the late 80's/early 90's, much better coloring.

It is that scarce in high grade, and harder to find across the board in most grades compared to the surrounding issues. Take a look at any dealers website and it is usually missing due to 1) being snapped up quickly or 2) not being in the run to begin with.

High grade copies are out there, but highly coveted.

I searched 5 years for a high grade, perfectly centered copy. I located 2, but neither seller wanted to part with them.

I did snag this one, even though the wrap isn't perfect.

TEC_411_94_zpsf7b85fae.jpg

Where are all the high grade copies of this book.

They can't possibly be scarce if Adams/O'Neil Bat books were the hottest thing going.

Adams only drew the cover. Back in the day that was no big deal, as it seemed like he drew half the covers DC put out in the early 70s. Only Adams interior art was broken out for higher pricing in Overstreet.

This first Talia story is actually drawn by Bob Brown. :sorry: