• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

George T. Delacorte, Jr.

22 posts in this topic

While I am not a big fan of bound volumes, I am a big fan of George T. Delacorte, Jr., whose Dell Comics were my favorite escape from reality, especially when the stories were created by Carl Barks. The other day I had the chance to get one of the volumes from his personal library that contained Large Feature Comics #17-19 and an Army magazine. Not only did it contain the very rare issue of Dumbo, but the price was right and it arrived in the mail yesterday. If you are not familiar with this series, the covers were very thin and the thick coarse interior pages were done in b+w. I know there are a lot of volumes in the hobby from his personal library, but I am really happy to have one and to see the amazing covers on some Large Feature Comics that are virtually perfect. Just remember, Dell Comics are Good Comics!

Delacorte%20Volume%20LFC%2017%20Gang%20Busters.jpg

Delacorte%20Volume%20LFC%2018%20Phantasmo_edited-1.jpg

Delacorte%20Volume%20LFC%2019%20Dumbo_edited-2.jpg

Delacorte%20Volume%20Spine_edited-1.jpg

George%20T%20Delacorte%20Jr.jpg

I just added this picture of George T. Delacorte, Jr., and Dorothy Lamour taken at The Press Club in November, 1946.

Great find.

What is the page quality like? It seems strange that only four comics would be bound together, any speculation on why Delacorte would have had it done this way? The Random House bound volumes contain, if I remember correctly, ten issues of each.

Unfortunately, the page quality is not the greatest, which is a shame given the beautiful covers. When new, the heavy coarse paper for the interior pages was cheap and destined to be disposable. Unlike many other early comics that had relatively thick covers, these are on a thin shiny paper that also wasn't meant to last. Finally, I have seen bound volumes containing one comic that a collector treasured, to as many as twelve issues that the publisher bound by the volume--I have no idea why this volume has three comics and a magazine. It is probably something logical, like the publications for a given week or month, but I don't know the answer.

Rich: That is an awsome bound volume. I love bound volumes. I was going to go after it but fell asleep at the wheel. Glad you got it if I didn't. Couldn't go to a more deserving boardie.I like that Phantasmo the best. Looks like they were bound in number sequence in small volumes.

I have a couple much later ones with 4 issues of Popeye in each. I assume yours has the stamp inside the front cover as both of mine do.

boundvolumepopeye1_zpsllhxjmfq.jpg

boundvolumepopeye2_zpsqi4jtvzy.jpg

boundvolumepopeye3_zpstrmdnmqd.jpg

boundvolumepopeye4_zpsxypfakjs.jpg

boundvolumepopeye5_zpsca4d0avk.jpg

boundvolumepopeye6_zpsedazfcbx.jpg

boundvolumepopeye7_zpskzbbgteo.jpg

boundvolumepopeye8_zpsqf9stohq.jpg

Rich: That is an awsome bound volume. I love bound volumes. I was going to go after it but fell asleep at the wheel. Glad you got it if I didn't. Couldn't go to a more deserving boardie.I like that Phantasmo the best. Looks like they were bound in number sequence in small volumes.

I have a couple much later ones with 4 issues of Popeye in each. I assume yours has the stamp inside the front cover as both of mine do.

boundvolumepopeye2_zpsqi4jtvzy.jpg

It says not to remove from the library. Boy, are you in trouble! (tsk)

Rich - what is the Army issue in that bound volume? I don't recall any comic with that title from Dell unless it was a magazine?

Congrats on your pickup too - The LFC Dumbo Paint book (and the Donald Duck paint book as well) are next to impossible to find. My copy has a few pages colored in :)

Oh, and while we are talking Dell, I just couldn't resist mucking up this thread without posting some subscription premiums.

dellpremiums_zpsihmlrqn3.jpg

And this:

dellcomicrack_zps75f0f72a.jpg

I'm sure Richard wont mind if I say you can mess up any thread you please with "dreck" like these! Most of us - certainly including me - would otherwise never have realized just how personal collecting could be in those days.

Go back to my first post to see a picture of George T. Delacorte, Jr., and Dorothy Lamour at The Press Club in November, 1946. I don't know if I had ever seen a picture of him before and wanted one to stick in the bound volume.

George%20T%20Delacorte%20Jr.jpg[/url]

I just added this picture of George T. Delacorte, Jr., and Dorothy Lamour taken at The Press Club in November, 1946.

Great photo. Thanks for posting it.

I suppose that if Dorothy Lamour is remembered at all, it's for being in the Hope/Crosby Road movies. But, of course, she was actually one of the biggest stars of the 1940s.

George%20T%20Delacorte%20Jr.jpg

Back when comics was classy! What a pic! Delacorte looks really sharp - no surprise when you consider all the great comic books the guy made!

Your bound volume is great! Picked this one up to get the rare Dell Monsterville comic inside. After reading this thread I checked - it has Mr. D's stamp. Bonus!

157434.jpg.0a21bde3139b74ec3f82868e266edcb4.jpg

157435.jpg.e48e911c85597f75fcddae7f0123c890.jpg

157436.jpg.1942c88e7a4e57784304f57864c7e0e7.jpg

157437.jpg.c634b0c3aa3512e41755a52e003735cc.jpg

157438.jpg.460d9f96bc3eb2b8b5436382f8ada2d3.jpg