• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fantastic Four will historically be known as what killed the comic movie craze!

490 posts in this topic

All movie waves have to end. Batman (4) and Robin movie was supposed to be a guaranteed hit directed by Schumacher, starring George Clooney (Batman), Arnold Schwartzenegger (Mr Freeze), Uma Thurman (Poison Ivy), and Alicia Silverstone (Bat-girl) but it flopped and killed the Batman movie franchise for 8 years until the Dark knight 1 movie was relaunched by director Chris Nolan.

At least if the R rated Deadpool movie (Vancouver, BC), and Suicide Squad (Toronto, ON) movies flop, Canada won't be blamed for the downturn of all comic movies. :wishluck:

Deadpool won't be a flop, but it is not going to be a huge blockbuster movie like many of the Marvel studio movies either. The R rating almost guarantees that. :gossip:

All movie waves have to end. Batman (4) and Robin movie was supposed to be a guaranteed hit directed by Schumacher, starring George Clooney (Batman), Arnold Schwartzenegger (Mr Freeze), Uma Thurman (Poison Ivy), and Alicia Silverstone (Bat-girl) but it flopped and killed the Batman movie franchise for 8 years until the Dark knight 1 movie was relaunched by director Chris Nolan.

At least if the R rated Deadpool movie (Vancouver, BC), and Suicide Squad (Toronto, ON) movies flop, Canada won't be blamed for the downturn of all comic movies. :wishluck:

Deadpool won't be a flop, but it is not going to be a huge blockbuster movie like many of the Marvel studio movies either. The R rating almost guarantees that. :gossip:

But comic fanatics may fall so in love with the film, repeat viewings may become a common experience. That also drives up box office numbers.

:wishluck:

But comic fanatics may fall so in love with the film, repeat viewings may become a common experience. That also drives up box office numbers.

I can only compare this to the well received and highly anticipated Kick movie. It did okay at the movie, but wasn't a runaway blockbuster. Deadpool may bring in slightly better numbers than Kick , but it already lost many females, kids, etc. viewers just with the R rating and violent content.

I can drag my wife to most of these superhero movies, even though her interest isn't high. She won't go see a movie full of blood and violence. And I wouldn't even consider taking my daughter.

I can only compare this to the well received and highly anticipated Kick movie. It did okay at the movie, but wasn't a runaway blockbuster. Deadpool may bring in slightly better numbers than Kick , but it already lost many females, kids, etc. viewers just with the R rating and violent content.

I can drag my wife to most of these superhero movies, even though her interest isn't high. She won't go see a movie full of blood and violence. And I wouldn't even consider taking my daughter.

That is probably a good comparison movie here. Although Deadpool as a comic book character has higher recognition than an independent title like Kick . So hopefully that helps some.

Since the Deadpool movie is being made by character fanatics for character fanatics, let's hope that makes a big difference. Then it fits that old line 'if only they had respected the source material'.

The changes to the FF didn't bother me which makes me wonder why that is, as I am usually more protective of source material. Perhaps because the FF is a serialization of over sixty years it leaves a little more leeway for new interpretations as opposed to a book - Lord of the Rings for example.

I understand that thought process, but if you're going to tell the origin, or the original story of the FF, why wouldn't it be given the same consideration as a treasured book?

The only reason I can think of is the original story isn't respected. (shrug)

And that's why so many had a problem with it, or at least why I did.

To me, the 'Ultimate' titles were disrespectful in a similar way, in the same way 'Before' Watchmen was... create something new, quite trying to leech off the old and pretend it's some original vision. I find all of it boring.

Then again, I dislike 99% of all song remakes as well.

Good points. We've had 60 years of FF stories where elements of the origin were revisited and updated. Ditto for Iron Man, Spider-Man, Thor, etc. I think Marvel has done a decent job disrespecting their own character's history that I cannot fault a movie for doing the same.

Probably the best example is Spider-Man. Animal totems. :facepalm: And now another hero was created from the spider bite. Nothing Hollywood does get anymore disrespectful than that IMHO.

How about leaving the origin half-done in ASM and having him become a hero anyway? Why redo the origin at all if you're going to remove a key (maybe THE key) component that motivates him.

Deadpool maybe isn't going to be a GOTG type of success but it will TRIPLE what Kick Azz did, both domestically and internationally.

Deadpool maybe isn't going to be a GOTG type of success but it will TRIPLE what Kick Azz did, both domestically and internationally.

I admire your confidence, but that seems a little grandiose hm

Deadpool is, by no means, a guaranteed hit.

People are underestimating the appeal of this character. It's a recognizable brand that even NON comic book people are aware of now. People who've NEVER read a comic, say they are Deadpool FANS. I still don't get that, but I hear it regularly in my store.

Customer: Yeah, my friend is a HUGE Deadpool fan.

Me: Oh, where does he get his comics?

Customer: He doesn't read comics.

Me: ????

Also hearing a lot of grown men, who've seen the trailer say, "I never cared for the character, but... that trailer looks great. I'm anxious to see it."

or this today, "I'm not too keen on the language, but, man does it look cool."

I doubt it will do GOTG numbers, but it will easily triple what Kick Azz did, both domestically and worldwide. Deadpool is a lot more a THING than Kick Azz.

I admire your confidence, but that seems a little grandiose hm

I'm willing to wager on it.

Keep in mind KA did under 100MIL WORLDWIDE.

People are underestimating the appeal of this character. It's a recognizable brand that even NON comic book people are aware of now. People who've NEVER read a comic, say they are Deadpool FANS. I still don't get that, but I hear it regularly in my store.

Also hearing a lot of grown men, who've seen the trailer say, "I never cared for the character, but... that trailer looks great. I'm anxious to see it."

I doubt it will do GOTG numbers, but it will easily triple what Kick Azz did, both domestically and worldwide. Deadpool is a lot more a THING than Kick Azz.

I recently talked to two guys, one 22, the other 27, who not only knew who Deadpool was, they wanted to make a costume of him to make videos.

They had no idea what his first appearance was, or that he was even a comic book character.

But they knew who he was.

Also, Ryan Reynolds is a 'star' - adjace. WHere K-A had little to zero star power, save a bit of Nic Cage.

There's gotta be some value in that.

If nothing else, I give him credit for being funny on Two Guys a Girl and Pizza Place. And marry Scarlett Johansson AND Blake Lively. But then I take away credit because Blake Lively is the worst movie actress of this generation (check out Green Lantern and the Town), though one could argue she was terribly miscast.

I recently talked to two guys, one 22, the other 27, who not only knew who Deadpool was, they wanted to make a costume of him to make videos.

They had no idea what his first appearance was, or that he was even a comic book character.

It's amazing isn't it?

It's amazing isn't it?

He`s a big videogame character in the various Marvel video game series!

He`s gained a following.

I have four nephews ages 18 to 26. None read comics, but are always telling me how cool Deadpool is because of his videogame appearances over the years.

While FF is huge among comic book geeks they really haven't transitioned into the 21st century as well as, say, Iron Man (high tech), Batman (high tech), Superman (alien, alien tech), X-Men (social justice/diversity), and so on.

I am not sure that I follow you. "Transition" from what to what?

The Fantastic Four are one of the few instances where Marvel could continue to put out comics of inconsistent quality (often low) but not betraying the essence.

When one tries to "modernize" often the results are disastrous – and aside from this the original FF stories are in many cases already classics.

This appears to be just an ugly movie – even if it was "good", I do not get tired to repeat it, the movies are something which is meant for a public not aware of the characters' history. The majority are occasional moviegoers and most of these movies (as the majority of current Hollywood movies) are just action entertainment.

Not that it’s a bad thing, but the Marvel age has been a lot more.

there have been plenty of R rated blockbusters but there have only been 3 R rated movies released in February that have done >$150MM domestic BO: Passion of the Christ (think we can agree that DP won't draw like Jesus), Fifty Shades of Grey and Hannibal. In fact, there have only been 6 movies released in February (any rating) that have hit $150MM. I think Fox would be hoping for Kingsman type #'s: $125MM domestic.

It's amazing isn't it?

I am curious to see how Deadpool and Harley sell at the fall shows with the Suicide Squad and Deadpool movie hype picking up a bit.

I wonder how the Fantastic Four does at the box office this weekend?

hm

Sickening levels.

Domestic: $32,549,121 (45.5%)

Foreign: $38,916,952 (54.5%)

Worldwide: $71,466,073

Budget Guesstimate: $120 MM

Revenue Ratio: .596X