• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mickey Mouse Annual

10 posts in this topic

Found this in my research on the book.

From forum board on toonzone.net (2003)

I wanted to share this article that I read in today's NY POST, as the paper trashed Mickey Mouse and his creator, Walt Disney for being racist.I must be honest, but I was totally offended by this article and I want everyone's thoughts on this topic.

The following may not be suitable for all readers as this is the exact article from the 2/7/03 New York Post's Page Six Colum written by Page Six editor, Richard Johnson.Here's the title of this article.

MICKEY RAT

HISTORAINS, Disney fans and racists alike will be clamoring for the latest peice of Mickey Mouse memorabilia hitting the auction block.Walt Disney's racist views were widley overlooked during his lifetime and many today are unaware of them.But a case in point is the item online collectibles dealer momentsintime.com is offering:a copy of The Mickey Mouse Annual", featuring heavy use of the N-word.In one scene, the world's most famous mouse and his galpal Minnie are in the jungle fighting "Fierce n-----s." The natives are depicted as having enormus lips and eyes.The rare book, published in Britian, is selling for $54,000.

Found this in my research on the book.

From forum board on toonzone.net (2003)

I wanted to share this article that I read in today's NY POST, as the paper trashed Mickey Mouse and his creator, Walt Disney for being racist.I must be honest, but I was totally offended by this article and I want everyone's thoughts on this topic.

The following may not be suitable for all readers as this is the exact article from the 2/7/03 New York Post's Page Six Colum written by Page Six editor, Richard Johnson.Here's the title of this article.

MICKEY RAT

HISTORAINS, Disney fans and racists alike will be clamoring for the latest peice of Mickey Mouse memorabilia hitting the auction block.Walt Disney's racist views were widley overlooked during his lifetime and many today are unaware of them.But a case in point is the item online collectibles dealer momentsintime.com is offering:a copy of The Mickey Mouse Annual", featuring heavy use of the N-word.In one scene, the world's most famous mouse and his galpal Minnie are in the jungle fighting "Fierce n-----s." The natives are depicted as having enormus lips and eyes.The rare book, published in Britian, is selling for $54,000.

I can't recall where, but I remember reading something about this book. I think the key point was that it was prepared in Britain where the n-word was much more commonly used and considered much less offensive than in the U.S. For example, Agatha Christie's famous mystery that was titled in the U.S. either "And Then There Were None" or "Ten Little Indians" was first published in Britain as "Ten Little N-Words"

Not that Disney is blameless, but I think he and his U.S.-based staff may not have been involved in preparing the book. That's my hazy recollection of the story, at any rate.

The N word only seriously got bad connotations over here in the 60/70s

We even used to be have a shade of paint called N-word Brown.

The annual itself is very rare, but not totally impossible to find here. Its one of those things that although rare just doesn't sell for as much as you'd think.

The annual itself is very rare, but not totally impossible to find here. Its one of those things that although rare just doesn't sell for as much as you'd think.

So I am guessing the "canadian" version of it would be really really "rare" then

Dunno tbh, I do know when I collected children's annuals in the 80s I managed to get the full run of Mickey Mouse over a couple years and didn't really pay over about £20 for any of them IIRC, in fact I was collecting Felix and also Japhet, Wilfred and Happy at the same time and found those to be far harder to locate. Also the first Donald Duck annual is like rocking horse .

What I would say, it's one thing to get a copy, but to get one that's not been coloured in or is very much the worse for wear is another thing entirely. These are annuals very much aimed at younger children.

I've been saving sports pages from the local paper and the advocate in b.r. that actually use the word "redskins" in articles. in a few years, I'm going to sell them for big money to those that just can't IMAGINE that said word was actually used in public at some unenlightened time in the past.