• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

question concerning loose staple

16 posts in this topic

My standard for one loose staple if it's clean is a 0.5 (one notch) deduction for books Fine and below. One full grade (1.0) if it's a bad loose staple with lots of fuzz and some tearing.

That's a good rule on those $20-$50 books.

X-men 1 is a major, major key and you should get it slabbed to be sure of the grade regardless.

I usually drop a book to VG/F if the staple is loose. I have a book that would otherwise be a VF- to VG/F.

That being said, I think it would drop your book to about VG- 3.5 because it'a lower grade to start with.

But like A said, you should get the book slabbed esp if the book "presents" well.

thanks for the replies guys!

really, only the staple is the problem, other then that its a great great book! this will be my first submission to cgc so i am kinda of excited!

here are some pictures. the big one is blurry (sorry). feel free to take a shot at grading, i would very much appreciate the feedback!

thanks again. smile.gif

DSC00276.jpg

DSC00279.jpg

DSC00275.JPG

hi guys.

yes, the staple is popped through. yeah, the picture is horrible. i hope to have a good scan of it by this weekend.

thanks for the feedback.

the smaller pic of the front cover doesn't seem to have as much wear so perhaps some of that "wear" on the big pic is glare.

however, there's almost certainly some "rippling" going on in both pics, by Marvel girl.

i tend to agree that those two things alone will hurt and you'll proably be in the 3.0 to 4.0 area. but get us better scans and we can narrow it down for you. not much you can do about the staple pull but if those are indeed wrinkles on the FC, you could always have them pressed out. on a book of this importance, it would almost certainly be worth the additional investment. can't go too far wrong with a decent X-men #1............ thumbsup2.gif

Just for a point of reference, I have a nice Batman #155 CGC 3.0 due to a completely detached cover. Otherwise it is a 5.5 to 6.0 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

An absolutely perfect example of a book that benefits from being slabbed, as any excessive handling would give rise to further issues with its condition.

Probably a 5.5 with that long back cover crease and the general wear to the front cover. I'd have gone 6.5 but for the back cover crease. A very presentable copy, and value-wise, it's worth an economy submission to CGC. thumbsup2.gif

still digging around my collection , and found this one. has all pages and very nice . how do you guys feel it would fare with cgc and is it worth it to submit with the x-men?

thanks a lot.

sp1.jpg

sp2.jpg