• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

a new market trend or just movie hype?

13 posts in this topic

I have been looking for the right copy of this book (Fantastic Four #5) for the last month or so but have yet to find anyone asking a price that I consider reasonable.

For instance, I was following this eBay auction and look what happened!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=32731&item=6513688321&rd=1

How much of this price inflation is movie hype? Did the same thing happen to ASM prior to the movie coming out and how long did it take to die down?

My current strategy is to be patient and wait for the buzz to die down to buy the book.

an odd auction to be sure. 3 day auction, with decent traffic, but the winning bidder hits the reserve way before the auction ends with no competing pressure. and for WAY MORE than comparable sales on ComicLink. (they had a 6.5 go recently for around $1300.

hey, maybe the guy just wanted it badly. i bet the next one sells for less.........good hunting 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

it was definitely an odd auction which is why I posted it here. When I left work the bidding was around $700 or so. Then I check the auction again before the end and lo and behold it was selling for way more than I was willing to consider paying. and I was ready to pay what I thought was "slightly over market" too...

an odd auction to be sure. 3 day auction, with decent traffic, but the winning bidder hits the reserve way before the auction ends with no competing pressure. and for WAY MORE than comparable sales on ComicLink. (they had a 6.5 go recently for around $1300.

hey, maybe the guy just wanted it badly. i bet the next one sells for less.........good hunting 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

I bought my 6.5 OWW for $1400 on Heritage mad.gif

I know I overpaid at the time, but I'm not going to upgrade for awhile, if ever. yay.gif

I wouldn't call mine a 6.0. Maybe if the slabbers are generous it could come back a 5.0, but likely a 4.0-4.5. It's about the same as a JLA 2 I have in 4.0 (which was slabbed about 3-4 years ago, so maybe standards have changed, I thought they were a little bit mean on that one).

i'm going to have to bite the bullet and get a few of these semi-expensive ones slabbed. family obligations are calling.

I wasn't rubbing it in, actually I was calling out BB for mentioning $1300 when I paid $1400.

and i was to know that, how???? hey, there's still 5 months for potential improvement in prices. who knows maybe the next trailers will kick some ........... grin.gif

I wasn't rubbing it in, actually I was calling out BB for mentioning $1300 when I paid $1400.

and i was to know that, how???? hey, there's still 5 months for potential improvement in prices. who knows maybe the next trailers will kick some ........... grin.gif

the "new" (international) trailer is on line and I feel it's better because:

(1) there is REAL dialogue! (including Thing speaking)

(2) more of Dr. Doom!

(3) more of Sue and her invisible powers! 893applaud-thumb.gif

check it out at superherohype.com.

It has been awhile since I saw a film opening night but I think I'll do it for this one.