• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Poly or Mylar for submission

15 posts in this topic

I've used poly bags, cause you're allowed to close with one piece of tape, but on the eve of sending in a few books including a Joe 21 I'm wondering if I should reconsider and use one of my open end mylars.

Well CGC is not going to return your mylars so it is probably better off if you leave it in the polybags. Just make sure you package properly to prevent any damage! smile.gif

As greggy says you won't get the bags back so if its a cost issue, use polybags.

On the other hand if you don't mind losing them, mylars will make your books look nicer when the grader first sees them. grin.gif

They get switched over to mylars anyways. CGC already admits that they recycle "good" mylar for their use! tongue.gif

We've submitted close to a thousand books and I think Mylite 2"s with Full backs (double thick backing boards) from Gerber are best. The books don't move inside the bag if sealed properly and they are relatively cheap. Books in the regular poly bags move (and you can bet they move in postal shipping) and the corners get damaged. When .2 can be a hundred dollars 35 cents seems like a reasonable precaution. There is always the problem of grading consistency and thus it makes it harder to tell than it might otherwise. I don't recommend sending in Modern unless you don't mind crazy under grading, unfortunately it seems that some of these graders are being promoted to grading Bronze and Silver Books.

May all your submissions be 9.8' s

comicbookscout

Very disturbing to hear about this "

CGC already admits that they recycle "good" mylar for their use!

I would just love to send in a super HG book just to have it shoved into a sleeve that used to hold a book with foxing or mold growth. You can pretty much kiss your book goodbye unless you keep it in perfect environmental conditions.

I think he meant that CGC staffers re-use the mylars for themselves not for grading purposes...if you want that mylar look when sending them in use polyeurthine...damn I can't spell!