• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Does it make sense to submit the old label?

10 posts in this topic

returning the label helps them manage the census.

inflated census numbers could drive down a book's price

so there's that benefit.

other than that we've been told that the old label has no impact on the grading process

If i unslabbed a 9.6 will I have a good/better chance of getting it returned slabbed 9.6 if undamaged and submitted the original label with the comic?

any other benefit to doing so

What is it you really want to do? hm

I just recently bought a few comics that have high 9.6 or 9.8 grades and what I want to do is unslab them and get them signed. One of them is already signed so i have no choice but to ask CGC to unslab but the others are not. I heard on youtube someone mention that getting CGC to unslab costs $50 at a convention which is too expensive for me so for all but 1 id like to do it myself.

Once i get them signed id like to send them back to CGC.

My worry is that in the process they will either get damaged or they wont and the grade will be lower.

I just recently bought a few comics that have high 9.6 or 9.8 grades and what I want to do is unslab them and get them signed. One of them is already signed so i have no choice but to ask CGC to unslab but the others are not. I heard on youtube someone mention that getting CGC to unslab costs $50 at a convention which is too expensive for me so for all but 1 id like to do it myself.

My worry is that in the process they will either get damaged or they wont and the grade will be lower.

That's crazy :lol:

For insurance reasons, CGC people aren't technically allowed to crack out non-SS books at a show. In reality, unless the booth is absolutely jam-packed with people, they'll help you out - or at least show you exactly how to do it yourself in a safe manner.

There's no fee either way, though.

Sorry if I'm stating the obvious, but you do know that if they're Universal (Blue Label) and you unslab them and get them signed without a CGC witness being present, and send them back to CGC for reslabbing .. they'll come back as Green Label's with notation being something like 'Writing on the Cover'.

.. do you really want this?

Apologies if I've missed something.

thank you for the response but i was aware of that. Im going to go to the CGC booth (or see if they are at the artists table) first

My worry is that once either I or CGC opens it it will somehow get a lower grade. Not sure how common this is but other than being careful theres nothing i can do about it

Whether you give it to CGC in the slab or deslabbed makes no difference in the eventual grade. Yes, there is always the chance the grade will change. You seem very nervous about the whole process. I hope it all works out for you.