• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Man From UNCLE

15 posts in this topic

Saw this today with the little lady.

Quite surprised it's not got better reviews than it has, I mean it hasn't been totally trashed but both my wife and I thought it was really very good.

She'd never seen the TV show and thought it was funny and had great chemistry between Cavill and Hammer, I've seen all the shows and still thought it was a good modern day update - although it's still set in the sixties.

It's very obviously a Guy Ritchie film, lots of montages and quick cuts with flashbacks 'after the fact' like in the Sherlock films., plus he loves lettering onscreen. But hey I like his films.

Cavill does a very good Solo and he's just sooooo annoyingly good looking it almost wants to make you spit.

But yeah, really good fun film.

Quite surprised it's not got better reviews than it has, I mean it hasn't been totally trashed but both my wife and I thought it was really very good.

She'd never seen the TV show and thought it was funny and had great chemistry between Cavill and Hammer, I've seen all the shows and still thought it was a good modern day update - although it's still set in the sixties.

It's very obviously a Guy Ritchie film, lots of montages and quick cuts with flashbacks 'after the fact' like in the Sherlock films., plus he loves lettering onscreen. But hey I like his films.

Cavill does a very good Solo and he's just sooooo annoyingly good looking it almost wants to make you spit.

To be fair the studio is asking people to watch a film from a television show that is over 50 years old that has not fared well with age. One of the guys selects this show on a regular basis to watch at our SciFi television marathon event. The show gets the most complaints as the one the crowd wants to see less of. I put this towards of how the show was made 3 formulaic parts that feels like a bad stage production.

Mixed in we have a Bond film coming out and MI that is still in the theaters there was just no place to put this film in the schedule this year.

The other problem is they are competing against Straight Outta Compton. We are talking about a biopic film about the godfathers of gangsta rap that did more to bridge the gap in race relations and understanding than any other person since MLK and Malcolm X. We are talking about multiple generations of people into this group and the music they inspired. After watching S.O.C. yesterday to be honest best mainstream film I have seen this year. Expect alot of nominations for this film at the Oscars.

SOC is far exceeding my expectations as far as performance in the theaters. I knew the film had a chance to be the number one film in the theaters, but did not see a 50 to 60 million dollar weekend.

As opposed to the other option? hm

On a serious note. Saw this yesterday. It was a smart little movie.

You either like Guy Ritchie or you don't (not counting the Madonna years). I like him, and was entertained.

To be fair the studio is asking people to watch a film from a television show that is over 50 years old that has not fared well with age. One of the guys selects this show on a regular basis to watch at our SciFi television marathon event. The show gets the most complaints as the one the crowd wants to see less of. I put this towards of how the show was made 3 formulaic parts that feels like a bad stage production.

Mixed in we have a Bond film coming out and MI that is still in the theaters there was just no place to put this film in the schedule this year.

The other problem is they are competing against Straight Outta Compton. We are talking about a biopic film about the godfathers of gangsta rap that did more to bridge the gap in race relations and understanding than any other person since MLK and Malcolm X. We are talking about multiple generations of people into this group and the music they inspired. After watching S.O.C. yesterday to be honest best mainstream film I have seen this year. Expect alot of nominations for this film at the Oscars.

SOC is far exceeding my expectations as far as performance in the theaters. I knew the film had a chance to be the number one film in the theaters, but did not see a 50 to 60 million dollar weekend.

Interesting, I'm going to see SOC on Tuesday. Looking forward to it now.

You know, I kept thinking I still was going to hate it, but it was a pretty solid movie. Granted, there was no surprises with the "plot twists", but it had this energy about it that made it very enjoyable through out. Armie Hammer was hilarious, Alicia Vikander was adorable (I want one) and the climax didn't end with some stupid noisy 2nd unit set-piece that you would immediately forget. Guy Ritchie is back. I'm betting this is a funner movie than San Andreas and Terminator: Genysis.

Three out of Four stars!

Armie Hammer says a Man from U.N.C.L.E. sequel is being written

the-man-from-uncle-2.jpg

You may have forgotten about the film, but it still has its fans, so many in fact that Hammer keeps getting asked about a sequel, to the point where he himself needed answers.

While speaking with /Film Hammer brought up how he’s constantly getting asked by people about a sequel to U.N.C.L.E., so he called producer Lionel Wigram and asked – if I may paraphrase – “What the f@ck is going on?”

"I called Lionel Wigram, the producer of the movie, and he and Guy produced it and wrote it all together. I was like, “Dude, what’s the deal? I get asked about this :censored: all the time. Can you just write a sequel?” He was like, “You know what? Yeah, :censored: it, I’ll do it. Sure, I’ll write a sequel.” I was like, “If you write one, I’m sure we can get one made,” so who knows? Today is the first day I’ve actually told anyone that story. I only told one other person who asked. Apparently, the sequel is being written right now. No pressure, Lionel!"

On 11/21/2015 at 9:44 PM, NewEnglandGothic said:

You know, I kept thinking I still was going to hate it, but it was a pretty solid movie. Granted, there was no surprises with the "plot twists", but it had this energy about it that made it very enjoyable through out. Armie Hammer was hilarious, Alicia Vikander was adorable (I want one) and the climax didn't end with some stupid noisy 2nd unit set-piece that you would immediately forget. Guy Ritchie is back. I'm betting this is a funner movie than San Andreas and Terminator: Genysis.

Three out of Four stars!

Good movie. Just like the latest Alexander Skarsgård Tarzan movie in that it is very under-appreciated.

11 minutes ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

Good movie. Just like the latest Alexander Skarsgård Tarzan movie in that it is very under-appreciated.

I actually enjoyed the Tarzan movie once I saw it on HBO. And with Man From U.N.C.L.E., it was a good cast without a 'Bond-like' espionage -script. So a decent story - but not something you would watch again. They just need to add a little more to the story, and this could be pretty good for a new spy franchise.

1 hour ago, Bosco685 said:

I actually enjoyed the Tarzan movie once I saw it on HBO. And with Man From U.N.C.L.E., it was a good cast without a 'Bond-like' espionage ---script. So a decent story - but not something you would watch again. They just need to add a little more to the story, and this could be pretty good for a new spy franchise.

Just looking at the box office numbers I guess this will not made for awhile. I didn't realize how low the numbers were. :whatthe:

Man From U.N.C.L.E
Total Lifetime Grosses
Domestic:  $45,445,109    41.4%
Foreign:  $64,400,000    58.6%

Worldwide:  $109,845,109

The budget was 75 million, so I wonder if it did make a profit?

Edited by ComicConnoisseur