• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Defenders & their 'defeated' covers

41 posts in this topic

And if you're 12, with some cropping, the cover to 30 is funny ..

D30_zps8533b94a.jpg

I'm actually reading the 1-152 + GS run now :) Good ol' Bronze Awesomeness. I'm still chuckling from "Get back into water dumb fish!" in GS #5

I did find a website with a complete scan of the comic, but I'm sure you'll want the authentic experience which is accompanied by the smell of old newsprint. (thumbs u

Absolutely. The smell, the feel of the newsprint, the ads, everything. It's why I prefer the originals to trades/omnibusses.

I'm pretty pleased that I am still finding VF/NM in the issues #30-60 range in some of the $1 bins.

Another great reason to pick them up. Most issues are still real cheap

Even the goofy hype on #28 has died way down.

Really, the only pricey issues at this point are #1 and #10.

I'm close to putting a reader run of Defenders 1 thru about 80 or so (should I go beyond that?). Can't wait to go through them. Never really paid much attention to this title before. Plus, I can't wait to read the Rush dedication in issue 45.

I also love the Frank Cirocco covers near the end of the run. Cirocco is one of the most underrated comic artists.

I would be not able to sleep at night without the #1-152 run in the next room.

Me too! lol

I think I still miss #7… hm

:headbang:

Come on man!!! Get a #7!!! Best issue of the whole run!! lol:baiting:

ff09e8d7c9cda115293095579f8ebc59_zps9wjaa3cm.jpg[/img]

I did find a website with a complete scan of the comic, but I'm sure you'll want the authentic experience which is accompanied by the smell of old newsprint. (thumbs u

Absolutely. The smell, the feel of the newsprint, the ads, everything. It's why I prefer the originals to trades/omnibusses.

:headbang::applause:

I'm close to putting a reader run of Defenders 1 thru about 80 or so (should I go beyond that?). Can't wait to go through them. Never really paid much attention to this title before. Plus, I can't wait to read the Rush dedication in issue 45.

I also love the Frank Cirocco covers near the end of the run. Cirocco is one of the most underrated comic artists.

Me too! lol

I think I still miss #7… hm

:headbang:

Come on man!!! Get a #7!!! Best issue of the whole run!! lol:baiting:

ff09e8d7c9cda115293095579f8ebc59_zps9wjaa3cm.jpg[/img]

If there is an arc I have always been unable to read, it’s the "Avengers/Defenders" conflict. :shrug:

A woman tied upside-down to an inverted cross? Only in the Seventies...

I don’t think it was specifically about Valkyrie. Defenders' foes would have easily tie everyone upside down on inverted crosses… They weren’t exactly your average Avengers villains… :D

I'm pretty pleased that I am still finding VF/NM in the issues #30-60 range in some of the $1 bins.

Defenders in that range seem to be the most common book in dollar bins from this era. Just a malaise of mid to late 70's Marvel. I've got a full run, but I don't have any multiples of many of the issues. Just a sea of drek from beginning to end, with few bright spots. At least titles like MTU have some "key" issues, like #53, #100, and #117...but Defenders...? Bleagh.

There is some pretty cool Giffen art there, though.

"A sea of drek" – not at all. You just have to get past the art in the last part of the series, which is not brilliant, but it remains one of the best Marvel titles of the age.

Your superficiality on this matter surprises me, or maybe you just don’t know what you’re talking about. ;)

While I was missing a few, I regret selling a bunch of those post 100 issues because I won't be able to replace then for the 10, 20 and 25 cents I paid for them out of the bargain boxes. But someone was willing to pay 1.50 each foe them and I figured I may never be able to unload then for that much.

I think there were a few fantastic stories from issue 1 till about issue 30.

Once nighthawk lost his brain it fell a notch, but was still pretty good up until Don Perlin started drawing the book.

It is still a favorite of mine as Defenders13-16 is what hooked me into collecting comics.

Defenders in that range seem to be the most common book in dollar bins from this era. Just a malaise of mid to late 70's Marvel. I've got a full run, but I don't have any multiples of many of the issues. Just a sea of drek from beginning to end, with few bright spots. At least titles like MTU have some "key" issues, like #53, #100, and #117...but Defenders...? Bleagh.

There is some pretty cool Giffen art there, though.

Sea of Drek should be the name of a comic store.

"A sea of drek" not at all. You just have to get past the art in the last part of the series, which is not brilliant, but it remains one of the best Marvel titles of the age.

Your superficiality on this matter surprises me, or maybe you just dont know what youre talking about. ;)

No, it's bad. It doesn't remotely compare to contemporary work, such as Michelinie's Iron Man, or X-Men, or Englehart and Roger's Batman in 'Tec, or Shooter's Avengers (especially the Korvac saga.)

Or maybe I just don't know what I'm talking about.

"A sea of drek" not at all. You just have to get past the art in the last part of the series, which is not brilliant, but it remains one of the best Marvel titles of the age.

Your superficiality on this matter surprises me, or maybe you just dont know what youre talking about. ;)

No, it's bad. It doesn't remotely compare to contemporary work, such as Michelinie's Iron Man, or X-Men, or Englehart and Roger's Batman in 'Tec, or Shooter's Avengers (especially the Korvac saga.)

Picasso was terrible. Seinfeld is the greatest show of all time. I really think the color brown is superior to teal.

Oh wait, you mean artistic mediums are subjective? When did this happen?!

Picasso was terrible. Seinfeld is the greatest show of all time. I really think the color brown is superior to teal.

lol

Nevertheless, there are objective standards that can be, and are, applied to every work of art, especially commercial art like this.

Whether someone enjoyed a piece of drek or not....and I think the Goonies is one of the greatest films ever made, but objectively, it's a fairly average example of the artform...doesn't mean that it isn't bad.

If no one could judge whether something was good or bad, why do editors even exist? That's their job, that they do every single day: determine if this work is good or bad (or, more crassly, sellable or not sellable.)

And popularity certainly plays a factor. The X-Men from this era are consistently considered among the best, if not the best, books produced (1975-1981)...so popular, they've been reprinted multiple times, in multiple formats. And it was good, very good: Claremont, Cockrum, and then Byrne were firing on all cylinders.

Why, then, did they become so popular? Because there was something inherently better about it than contemporary material, and it attracted people to the series.

I didn't say the Defenders weren't enjoyable (to some)...I just said it was bad. There's a difference.

Besides...if art was entirely subjective, why didn't you take Vaillant to task for his comment...? After all...if it's subjective, then he certainly can't say it's "one of the best Marvel titles of the age", either...right...?

;)

Besides...if art was entirely subjective, why didn't you take Vaillant to task for his comment...? After all...if it's subjective, then he certainly can't say it's "one of the best Marvel titles of the age", either...right...?

;)

Both of you were quoted for a reason! I do happen to agree with Claudio, because the Defenders is one of my favorites, but it makes his opinion no more valid than yours, even though it might be shared by fewer folks.

My point was just to suggest that there's really no reason to call something drek, or trash, or bad. It's just not your thing, and that's fine. My wife gets frustrated with me fairly often for watching "awful" TV shows or movies. Yet she LOVES musicals, and I typically don't care for them. Doesn't mean either of us are right or wrong, or maybe both of us are. It's all in the eye of the beholder.

I have a sneaking suspicion that you love to argue, so I'll hunker down and prepare to get shelled! :shrug: