• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

a Metropolis vs. CGC grading thread

94 posts in this topic

I think they over grade more often than not. Bought a DD #1 that was supposed to be 3.0 and it wasn't close. Lord help you if your slabs come in cracked too because they definitely are of no help there from experience. I still have three cracked slabs sitting here but they pack "where that just couldn't be possible."

I would say of the Metro raws I've submitted lately, most have come back lower and a couple came back (after pressing) at the advertised grade. None came back higher, even after pressing. One book I paid through the nose for as a raw 9.4 came back (after a press) as a 9.0, which means -- as you might guess -- I would take a bath on it were I to sell it.

My sad conclusion is that I won't buy any more raws from them except for low-grade, low-dollar filler copies.

Edited to add: With any dealer, I suppose the wheels should start turning if they are selling a supposedly high-grade book without getting it graded first.

That grade is far enough off that you should've contacted them about it after CGC grading. I don't know what Metro's policy is, but I'd be surprised if they didn't work with you to reconcile the difference in value. My 2c

I suppose I could have, but there was a fairly long gap -- at least a year, probably closer to two years -- between buying it and having it graded. So I didn't think they would be receptive to a discussion about it after that long a time, but perhaps I'm wrong.

That thread cheetah did a while back was great

I remember that thread, but I don't remember his conclusion with respect to Metro's grading. I'm pretty sure the thread is at least a year old, so it won't turn up with a search of the site.

I would say of the Metro raws I've submitted lately, most have come back lower and a couple came back (after pressing) at the advertised grade. None came back higher, even after pressing. One book I paid through the nose for as a raw 9.4 came back (after a press) as a 9.0, which means -- as you might guess -- I would take a bath on it were I to sell it.

My sad conclusion is that I won't buy any more raws from them except for low-grade, low-dollar filler copies.

Edited to add: With any dealer, I suppose the wheels should start turning if they are selling a supposedly high-grade book without getting it graded first.

That grade is far enough off that you should've contacted them about it after CGC grading. I don't know what Metro's policy is, but I'd be surprised if they didn't work with you to reconcile the difference in value. My 2c

I suppose I could have, but there was a fairly long gap -- at least a year, probably closer to two years -- between buying it and having it graded. So I didn't think they would be receptive to a discussion about it after that long a time, but perhaps I'm wrong.

.... in all fairness, I've seen CGC grading periods where they grade books at 9.0 that 99 percent of the rest of the world would call 9.4. In times like that it's great to be a buyer of slabs, but it sucks if you're submitting. That being said, they still set the benchmark for the most part. Back in the day, before CGC, Metro was one of the better graders. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I'm curious, Tony...... on the 9.4 Metro book that CGC gave a 9.0..... what was your estimation of the grade before you submitted it ? You can PM if you want..... GOD BLESS....

Neither one of them grade accurately, in my humble opinion.

Whenever I'm hot for a book, I'll go to Metro's website and peruse the listings, given their extensive inventory, and the fact that they actually bother to show a scan of each book, unlike many other dealers.

Now I don't buy slabbed, just reader grade in the Fair to VG range, but frankly, Metro seems to assess their stock at least one grade higher than I would assign, and that rather consistently.

And CGC? They'll call out brittle pages, and still give a book up to a 3 or 3.5 (we had a thread about this sometime back). How can a brittle book, which is 1.0 by Overstreet standards, be considered as 3 or above by the so-called experts?

You want better than accurate grading? Mycomicshop as often as not will send a book one half to one grade better than what they describe it as, at least so far in my experience with them.

I'm curious, Tony...... on the 9.4 Metro book that CGC gave a 9.0..... what was your estimation of the grade before you submitted it ? You can PM if you want..... GOD BLESS....

It didn't seem obviously not a 9.4. How's that for a slippery answer? :D

Here are the grader notes:

Right Center Back Cover Small Lite Multiple Foreign Rust Sta

Staple Multiple Rusted

Top Back Cover Foxing

I hadn't noticed the rusting or the foxing in the scan (I bought this one off their site) and they weren't mentioned in Metro's description. I didn't notice the rusting even with the book in hand (the grader notes kind of overstate it, I think), although I did see the foxing. At that point, maybe I should have considered returning the book.

I suppose this could be an instance where Metro legitimately doesn't think these defects should affect the grade, but CGC does. hm

Here's another fairly recent Metro purchase (bought April 2013; graded Jan 2015). A pedigree copy that I purchased as a raw 8.5 that came back as a 6.5 after a press. Again, purchased off their site rather than in person.

Grader notes:

Center Back Cover Pedigree Coding/Marking

Full Top Front Cover Small Multiple Crease Breaks Color

Right Top Front Cover Lite Stain

Spine Stress Lines

Top Back Cover Medium Lite Stain

Another pretty big miss (probably attributable to the stains) and one I'll feel in the wallet should I decide to sell.

tec 50: metro 8.5 - CGC 8.0

tec 44: metro 8.5 - CBCS 8.5 -> CGC 8.0

tec 49: metro 7.0 - CGC 7.0

none of the books was cleaned/pressed. straight sub.

the tec 49 now lies in a CGC 7.5 holder. (not mine)

(thumbs u @ Vincent, who personally verified each copy. Grading is not an exact science and therefore subjective.

however, tec 43 8.5 (prior grade listed vfnm 9.0) used to be CGC 7.0 :eek: , and that's why it continues to sit there ...

It didn't seem obviously not a 9.4. How's that for a slippery answer? :D

Here are the grader notes:

Right Center Back Cover Small Lite Multiple Foreign Rust Sta

Staple Multiple Rusted

Top Back Cover Foxing

I hadn't noticed the rusting or the foxing in the scan (I bought this one off their site) and they weren't mentioned in Metro's description. I didn't notice the rusting even with the book in hand (the grader notes kind of overstate it, I think), although I did see the foxing. At that point, maybe I should have considered returning the book.

I suppose this could be an instance where Metro legitimately doesn't think these defects should affect the grade, but CGC does. hm

Personally, I don't think any book with Rusty staples should be a 9.4. To me that's a major defect.

(thumbs u @ Vincent, who personally verified each copy. Grading is not an exact science and therefore subjective.

however, tec 43 8.5 (prior grade listed vfnm 9.0) used to be CGC 7.0 :eek: , and that's why it continues to sit there ...

I assume the Tec 43 was cracked by the consignor, but still ....

I remember that thread, but I don't remember his conclusion with respect to Metro's grading. I'm pretty sure the thread is at least a year old, so it won't turn up with a search of the site.

If memory serves, they were near the bottom, right above HY

If memory serves, they were near the bottom, right above HY

Actually, it turns out they did pretty well. I posted a link to thread above.

I assume the Tec 43 was cracked by the consignor, but still ....

nope, that's Metros book been on their "Metropolis Comics" site since before they started Comic Connect auction site. I remember that book well, back around 2006 or so, I use to go through Metros raw listings and see if I could find the books on other sites, such as Heritage. they also did this with the Larson copy of Fantastic Comics #9 among a few others that I can't remember.

You want better than accurate grading? Mycomicshop as often as not will send a book one half to one grade better than what they describe it as, at least so far in my experience with them.

This is my experience too, although not as true for moderns.

myCS 2 ticks under

Heritage 1 under

Metro +0 (1/3 of the time) to +1 over (2/3 of the time)

Here's the Cheetah grading comparison thread (Metro is Dealer 1). They come off better than in my experience: Harley! Shape up!
Thanks for digging that up. It's funny that I learned the hard way on a couple of those dealers. I like metro but have purchased raw books that where overgraded. My absolute best experiences are bob and world wide. I would buy raw from either with out hesitation. Bob always has great books and I have gotten more slabs than raw from him. I have purchased a ton of raw from Ritter and I am always happy .

If you're not comfortable buying raw, but slabbed. Very simple if you ask me. They often have great books in their auctions and a big inventory on their website. I have issues in the past with raw copies too, but if there is a must have raw book, I call and ask for a phone description or view the book in hand at a show.

Grading is subjective and differs from person to person, dealer to dealer, etc. Best thing to do when buying a raw book is to fully inspect it. If you are happy with how it was graded, great! If not, just return it. I understand how difficult it is to bear if a grading company grades the book under your expectations, it has happened to all of us I'm sure. There are quite a number of books that CGC has undergraded and even overgraded, we've all seen plenty of examples posted here. So, in short, regardless of what the book graded out professionally, just be happy with your purchase.