• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Diamond Galleries -- The Vault Opens

70 posts in this topic

I posted this in the general forum, but I think it would be better over here. I'm including some of the pages from the original brochure that was produced for the opening of the Diamond Galleries. Page 4 - 21 list all of the different collectibles (animation, original art, toys, comics) that were for sale. The big sales at the opening were for the comics much more so than any other collectible.

732781-DiamondGalcvr.jpg

732781-DiamondGalcvr.jpg.e11654947c9c5db6f2b722eb9c6ab956.jpg

Edited by adamstrange

732784-DiamondGalp16.jpg

732784-DiamondGalp16.jpg.cb3b63d51203f9d1efaf9979eb31a001.jpg

Edited by adamstrange

lou_fine wanted to see page 18 for MysteryMen.

'cus you own it? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

732791-Diamond18.jpg

732791-Diamond18.jpg.2562f7ce7f4e4a4288c45af7e81bc2fd.jpg

Edited by adamstrange

732793-Diamond19.jpg

732793-Diamond19.jpg.5e0b5b14a345c0e50b88cb9a8da9c385.jpg

Edited by adamstrange

Cool! Thanks for posting.

The prices are for the most part exceptional. The Whiz 1 is interesting, as with cleaning, I wonder if it would get that price today. But that Larson More Fun 52? I can only dream...

The grading was done by Gary Carter, if anyone is interested. The prices were generally exceptional at the time. The Mile Highs were going at 4x guide, which was a new price level.

I'll post more pages. The brochure is quite professionally produced but I can't give you the proper detail without exceeding the 150k limit for the jpg.

732793-Diamond19.jpg

Adam;

Certainly brings back memories of my best weekend ever in comics.

Do you remember that Torch #8. An absolutely gorgeous book which the lucky buyer was able to flip for some significant dollars. Actually, virtually all of the books looked just so beautiful sitting in their display cases. cloud9.gif

insufficiently_thoughtful_person that I was, I spent the first hour taking that stupid tour of the Diamond facilities and munching on the goodies without realizing that all of the books on display including the ones in the library were all for sale. foreheadslap.gif By the time I clued in to the fact that everything was for sale, Fishler and his East Coast gang had already scooped up all of the books. foreheadslap.gifforeheadslap.gifforeheadslap.gif

The grading was done by Gary Carter, if anyone is interested. The prices were generally exceptional at the time. The Mile Highs were going at 4x guide, which was a new price level.

Thanks for posting these, Adam. You're right about the prices, they must have taken people's breaths away at the time. This is one of the few times I've looked at an old catalogue from pre-CGC times and not cried about missing the screaming bargains.

insufficiently_thoughtful_person that I was, I spent the first hour taking that stupid tour of the Diamond facilities and munching on the goodies without realizing that all of the books on display including the ones in the library were all for sale. foreheadslap.gif By the time I clued in to the fact that everything was for sale, Fishler and his East Coast gang had already scooped up all of the books. foreheadslap.gifforeheadslap.gifforeheadslap.gif

they made huge piles of books to buy, but as you know, they only ended up with the ones that were priced the next morning. As things go with Geppi sometimes, a deal for the stacks of other comics they pulled just never got done... Geppi has a lot of irons in the fire and time is short before he gets pulled in another direction.

they made huge piles of books to buy, but as you know, they only ended up with the ones that were priced the next morning. As things go with Geppi sometimes, a deal for the stacks of other comics they pulled just never got done... Geppi has a lot of irons in the fire and time is short before he gets pulled in another direction.

Just to clarify, most of the comics listed in the catalog itself sold that night. What aman619 is referring to when they brought out a large portion of Overstreet's collection on Saturday morning for a limited audience. The stacks of books picked out by some of the dealers was too large for Geppi to price at that time. He priced what he could and sold those, but didn't get around to pricing/selling all of the large stacks.

More scans

733876-Diamond6.jpg

733876-Diamond6.jpg.272590aedbee9daec2ee38c3e185061b.jpg

Edited by adamstrange

733877-Diamond9.jpg

733877-Diamond9.jpg.17cd01eecfa06a082567267626c1acb4.jpg

Edited by adamstrange

733880-Diamond14.jpg

733880-Diamond14.jpg.4f0c8676d02516296ce86e0327e7813d.jpg

Edited by adamstrange

the price on the detective 27's is reversed.

733882-Diamond15.jpg

733882-Diamond15.jpg.c4f22aab7fd732bea29f1708fc27389a.jpg

Edited by adamstrange

the price on the detective 27's is reversed.

733882-Diamond15.jpg

Awww, the pre-CGC and pre-PLOD days when rare GA books with restoration disclosure would still go for major major dollars.

I still remember the 'Tec #1 being snapped up by Dave the dentist for $60 big ones when the Fine price was only $12K and the top of the guide VF price was only $24K. Not a bad multiple for a restored book. 893whatthe.gif

As Aman pointed out, the All-American #16 also went for way over top guide even with a coupon clipped out. 893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif

I guess this goes to show how super hot GA books were at the time after a huge runup in SA prices along with a dramatic collaspe in the Modern fresh off the newsstand books. Hmmm......a possible cyclical pattern in the movement of comic book prices that might repeat itself? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif