• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is this an exercise in futility?

12 posts in this topic

So I've been thinking... if you know, for virtually absolutely certain that short of winning the Powerball or falling backwards into a giant pile of money/comics, you'll never even approach the top of the leaderboard in one of the registry sets, is there a point in even trying?

I mean, I like adding things to my registry & all that, but I know I'm never getting anywhere near the top in most of my sets. Either because I only wanted 1 or 2 books from a set in my collection (slabbed) or because my pockets just ain't that deep to ever play near the top. So is there really a point in looking at rank or anything beyond morbid curiosity?

Perhaps just practice some "expectation management?" I'm #1 in a couple of niche registry sets that don't have much competition but that I enjoy a lot. Sure, my complete Amazing Spider-man set is pretty far down the list (#416), but my DC Millennium Editions is #1 and pulling away based primarily on my own submitted raws.

On the other hand, I have completely given up any effort at improving my Miracleman set unless I discover buried pirate treasure in my backyard.

"There's always a bigger fish". Until you own a CGC 9.0 copy of Action #1, somebody else will have a better comic collection than you. Hopefully, you are collecting comics because you enjoy comics. And even if you are doing it as a financial investment, you will probably do OK. But if you are obsessed with your collection being better than everybody elses in the entire world, you will never be happy. So don't go there.

Yeah, I mean... I am well aware that I'm not getting anywhere near the top of any of my sets without discovering a diamond the size of my head in my back yard. So I'm definitely collecting for the fun of it (with the side-benefit of "if it ends up as a solid investment down the line, bonus!" mixed in) and of course I like seeing when I bump up a spot on the registry when I add another book, but I know that even the top 10 or likely the top 20 is well outside my financial station for most of my bigger sets. I was just seeing if that was more the norm or if people really make the effort to go all-in on hitting that top spot for bigger sets.

Like my X-Men (1963) set? I've managed to stumble my way to like #87. But I know that even breaking the top 50 is probably not likely for me. And I was kind of mindlessly pondering "why am I doing this?" this morning. Figured I'd seek some outside ideas as to why others do it & see if those same reasons apply to me.

And I was kind of mindlessly pondering "why am I doing this?" this morning.
A personal suggestion would be to "mindfully" ponder. Take some time, turn off outside influences, laser-focus on "why am I doing this?" and peal back the layers. Get to the core reasons.

It's time well spent. If you got into collecting as a fan you may discover that's all inside-out, the love of creativity, art, story, character, different universes, sense of wonder, weird adventures. All that, you bring to the party and no one can take it away. It's in you whether you're currently curating examples of the books or not.

And if you discover you got into it to follow others or to compete in some way, you could let that go if you want. Connect up with the fun and joy side of the hobby, start enjoying yourself once again.

If you want to be number 1 in a set, I am sure you can do it. Not one of the most sought after sets of course, but something unique.

Take a small win where you can get it.

I looked at a few of your sets and there's a couple where you're only a book or two away from being on top.

Also -- especially for the huge, mega sets (like your X-Men set) -- don't focus on the guys at the top,

especially the ones that have completed the set.

You'll never have that spot unless they die and/or have to sell off their collection.

Instead, if you're looking to gauge your movement within the list, focus on the ones right ahead of yours.

And if runs of the same title aren't your thing, then maybe a specific cross-over storyline that you enjoyed and have collected.

Chances are, there's a set for that, and if not, you could always see if they'd create one.

Example - I really enjoyed INFERNO and have collected/still am collecting the books from that event -- there's also a Registry set for it.

Win-Win. :D

Most importantly though, as has been said previously, make sure you enjoy what you're collecting and not just competing for #1 because

"There's always a bigger fish". Until you own a CGC 9.0 copy of Action #1, somebody else will have a better comic collection than you... if you are obsessed with your collection being better than everybody else's in the entire world, you will never be happy...