• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Heritage in May... redux

31 posts in this topic

Clarkkent's original post:

Some nice regulars......

Batman #6 9.6 Allentown

Detective #38 9.4 Allentown....Looks like Parino consigned some of the books he bought two years ago. Any guesses as to what they will go for? I bet they don't meet reserve.

My follow up post:

I was just going to put up a post myself.

The best slabbed JLA run I've seen in one place is up, lots of really really tough issues. Apparently a big JLA collector is exiting.

The thing I found really interesting is all the ultra-HG magazines, from the collection of Chris Bell. Aren't these all the mags that he's been accumulating relatively recently at nosebleed prices? What's the story, is he dumping them at a loss ala the Doctor that bought the 9.6 ASM #1, or is he really expecting people to pay over what he paid?

Posts that are on topic would be appreciated. flowerred.gif

Fighting Yank #10 CGC 9.4 Church Copy 893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif

Do you have a link to this book or do I have to do it the hard way by accessing the Heritage website?

This is a tough tough book to get in grade and appears to be scarcer in comparison to the Exciting #9 which has pop up every now and then over the years. I still remember the days when both of these books were going for the same in guide.

I guess this proves that harder to find books tend to move up a lot slower in guide since there is so little market activity in them.

Fighting Yank #10 CGC 9.4 Church Copy 893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif

Do you have a link to this book or do I have to do it the hard way by accessing the Heritage website?

This is a tough tough book to get in grade and appears to be scarcer in comparison to the Exciting #9 which has pop up every now and then over the years. I still remember the days when both of these books were going for the same in guide.

I guess this proves that harder to find books tend to move up a lot slower in guide since there is so little market activity in them.

Bang.

Clarkkent's original post:

Some nice regulars......

Batman #6 9.6 Allentown

Detective #38 9.4 Allentown....Looks like Parino consigned some of the books he bought two years ago. Any guesses as to what they will go for? I bet they don't meet reserve.

My follow up post:

I was just going to put up a post myself.

The best slabbed JLA run I've seen in one place is up, lots of really really tough issues. Apparently a big JLA collector is exiting.

The thing I found really interesting is all the ultra-HG magazines, from the collection of Chris Bell. Aren't these all the mags that he's been accumulating relatively recently at nosebleed prices? What's the story, is he dumping them at a loss ala the Doctor that bought the 9.6 ASM #1, or is he really expecting people to pay over what he paid?

Posts that are on topic would be appreciated. flowerred.gif

You weren't kidding. 893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif

CGC 9.9 Eerie #80

CGC 9.8 Creepy #7

Bang.

Thanks for the link.

Shows what an insufficiently_thoughtful_person I am. It must be getting late since I was thinking of Startling Comics #10 with the first ever appearance of Fighting Yank. Nothing really special about Fighting Yank #10.

I think it's time for me to call it a night and hit the sack.

Did anyone see the Marvel Comics #1 art page? How high do you think this will go?

I was looking, but I couldn't find it. confused.gif

Got a link?

Edited:

Never mind, I found it...sweet merciful monkeys:

Linkified

893whatthe.gif

"Bill Everett - Marvel Comics #1 Sub-Mariner, page 12 Original Art (Timely, 1939). A show-stopping masterwork from the dawn of the Golden Age, this page must rank as the most historically significant and treasured piece of original comic book art known to survive -- it's the final page of the Sub-Mariner's origin story from Marvel Comics #1!

William Blake Everett (1917-1973), broke into comics in 1938, working for one of the first companies to print original stories for comic books, Centaur Publishing. In 1939, Bill Everett joined Lloyd Jacquet's Funnies Incorporated shop as the art director when former editor Jacquet and a few other talents broke away from Centaur. Everett created the Sub-Mariner as an eight-page feature originally printed in a giveaway comic book titled, Motion Picture Funnies Weekly #1. The Overstreet Price Guide notes that this comic book was probably not distributed outside of advance copies, and estimates that only eight copies are known to exist. The Sub-Mariner character proved so marvelous that Jacquet repackaged Everett's origin story a few months later, with four additional pages added, for young pulp publisher Martin Goodman's title, Marvel Comics #1. So it was that Prince Namor became Marvel's first super-hero. This imaginative and beautifully rendered origin story is considered by Golden Age aficionados to be an unparalleled highlight of the early super-hero comics. The twelve-page thriller told the origin of the Sub-Mariner, "an ultra-man of the deep who lives on land and in the sea, flies in the air, has the strength of a thousand men, and is a youth of dynamic personality, with quick thought and fast action." In the slam-bang finale, the yarn ended with a splash, as the Sub-Mariner destroyed a lighthouse beacon light, flew aboard an enemy plane, disposed of the pilot with one terrific blow, and dove into the ocean with a solemn vow to continue his crusade against all surface men! Namor's cousin Dorma also stars.

The image area of the page measures approximately 9" x 13.75" on 10" x 15" Craft Tint duo tone paper. The duo tone shading remains vivid, and the art is in Excellent condition. Bill Everett signed the art in the lower right of panel seven. Everett took great pride in his work. He said, "I didn't want to swipe from anybody; it had to come from me. It was all Everett. Storytelling was my strong point." Everett remains one of the most talented and beloved comic book artists to ever work in the field. His original artwork is scarce and highly prized. This remarkable page is the earliest Bill Everett piece to ever come to light, and is the only complete page known to exist from a key Golden Age comic book. Don't miss your chance to own one of the oldest and most important pieces of art ever offered for sale -- Bill Everett's Marvel!"

With him dumping books (he's selling more than Mags apparently) and JP consigning some books, I'm picturing a lot of "RNM"s in this auction.

Unless they're willing to take a loss of course...

Nothing really special about Fighting Yank #10.

893whatthe.gif

Blasphemy, I say! It's a CLASSIC Schomburg cover. I wish I could raise the dough in time. It would look mighty fine next to these two distant cousins...

fightingyank5.jpg

fightingyank6.jpg

There are some gorgeous DC's in this auction. I plan on bidding a few, like the Adventure 40 and the More Fun 63. Oh, and there is a New Fun 1 I am considering.

I smell competition. I'm willing to accept cash payments or GA comics to persuade me not to bid on certain books. poke2.gif

Does anyone else think that it's a mistake to list all those beautiful JLAs in the same auction? There are a finite number of JLA collectors. Are their pockets deep enough that these auctions will achieve bids as high as if these books had been auctioned, say, over the course of a year?

Does anyone else think that it's a mistake to list all those beautiful JLAs in the same auction? There are a finite number of JLA collectors. Are their pockets deep enough that these auctions will achieve bids as high as if these books had been auctioned, say, over the course of a year?

The funny thing is you'd think so, because logically the books might be cannibalizing each other. But I've noticed over the years that listing a bunch of great books together often seems to have the opposite effect, and seems to incite buyers into an even greater frenzy.

For the record, because a few people have asked, these are not my books. The seller is a collector who drove me out of JLA because I couldn't compete with him.

The funny thing is you'd think so, because logically the books might be cannibalizing each other. But I've noticed over the years that listing a bunch of great books together often seems to have the opposite effect, and seems to incite buyers into an even greater frenzy.

For the record, because a few people have asked, these are not my books. The seller is a collector who drove me out of JLA because I couldn't compete with him.

poke2.gif Name...