• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ooooooh...wow.

21 posts in this topic

Feh, stupid goofy SA DCs! mad.gif What's up with these stupid covers? Superheroes turning into trees? Is this where Barbara Walters got her inspiration to ask what kind of tree a person would be? And look at the horrible miswraps, misplaced staples, creases, rounded corners, etc. etc. I'm sure there's some shaken slab syndrome too. Irrefutable evidence of rampant CGC overgrading, they're probably all 8.5's that got pressed into 9.6s. And Pacific Coast pedigree? Please! Pedigreeman (who is an expert on pedigrees as you can tell by his name) can tell you that "Silver Age" and "pedigree" is an oxymoron. I tried to argue with him, but god help me, he was totally right. It's all just dealer hype. Real men only collect GA pedigrees.

My STRONG advice to everyone reading this post, based on years of collecting experience, is to not waste your money on these or any of the other JLAs in the Heritage auction. Marvels and GA books are SO-O-O much better.

Feh, stupid goofy SA DCs! What's up with these stupid covers? Superheroes turning into trees? Is this where Barbara Walters got her inspiration to ask what kind of tree a person would be? And look at the horrible miswraps, misplaced staples, creases, rounded corners, etc. etc. I'm sure there's some shaken slab syndrome too. Irrefutable evidence of rampant CGC overgrading, they're probably all 8.5's that got pressed into 9.6s. And Pacific Coast pedigree? Please! Pedigreeman (who is an expert on pedigrees as you can tell by his name) can tell you that "Silver Age" and "pedigree" is an oxymoron. I tried to argue with him, but god help me, he was totally right. It's all just dealer hype. Real men only collect GA pedigrees.

My STRONG advice to everyone reading this post, based on years of collecting experience, is to not waste your money on these or any of the other JLAs in the Heritage auction. Marvels and GA books are SO-O-O much better.

Good speech. Assuming you convinced everyone on this board you are right, you still have to convince the other 90% of collectors who will PAY ANY PRICE, to obtain these GEMS. makepoint.gif

I actually like the covers. However, after reading JLA #9, it is hard not to conclude that the writing for DC from this era is incredibly weak. Seems to target the 4th grader. I have not read enough of other DC titles from the 60's to confirm this, but the Lois Lane covers reinforce this idea.

ALL comics were written to 4th graders back then!...except for Marvels which were just getting started. And we were very savvy 4th graders too I might add, right Hook, POV, and Burnt, among others???? I agree they just dont hold up today, but you cant apply todays standards to these silly stories which wee perfectly aceptable escapist entertainment.

But the Sekowsky artwork on the other hand.......! Ive grown to admire his work, but back then boy was he a stocky stiff penciller...

ALL comics were written to 4th graders back then!...except for Marvels which were just getting started. And we were very savvy 4th graders too I might add, right Hook, POV, and Burnt, among others???? I agree they just dont hold up today, but you cant apply todays standards to these silly stories which wee perfectly aceptable escapist entertainment.

But the Sekowsky artwork on the other hand.......! Ive grown to admire his work, but back then boy was he a stocky stiff penciller...

YUP - they were just fine for 13 year old boys back then grin.gif

your observation about sekowsky is very much on the mark. i always knew there was something about the JLA covers that bothered me and i think it's the awkwardness of the characters in action. nothing as smooth as Infantino/Kane or striking as Kubert/Heath............

these books are frikkin unbelievble!!! i feel sorry for Tim who will either be crying over not getting them or spending a FORTUNE to acquire them......(save some money for my DC sale this summer).

I actually like the covers. However, after reading JLA #9, it is hard not to conclude that the writing for DC from this era is incredibly weak. Seems to target the 4th grader. I have not read enough of other DC titles from the 60's to confirm this, but the Lois Lane covers reinforce this idea.

You know he was kidding right? poke2.gif

You know he was kidding right? poke2.gif

Yeah, but I quicky forgot when I starting thinking about the big difference between the art and the writing. Plus there is an element of truth to the absurdity of the some the covers, and how the JLA grow limbs in #9 is a case in point. After reading the book I was less enamored with the cover (Like when the awesome babe starts to talk and ruins it for you). I must admit I often buy for the cover art without consideration of the acual story, thinking I will read the run one day when I have time. Now I'm thinking that I'm going to be disappointed reading the run of JLA and GL I'm close to completing.

Good speech. Assuming you convinced everyone on this board you are right, you still have to convince the other 90% of collectors who will PAY ANY PRICE, to obtain these GEMS. makepoint.gif

Each journey of a thousand miles starts with one step. Anyways, JLAs DO suck. Otherwise, why would the owner be selling them? confused-smiley-013.gif

i'm a big fan of SA JLA...

i will admit that the stories have a certain scent of fromage, but keep in mind that DC has always been about characters bigger than life in situations beyond belief...the SA titles for the most part are equal to the content of SF books and movies of the time.

sure, a great deal of it could be seen on MST3K but there are gems as well...

comics for me are about suspension of disbelief and escapism. yes, some of those JLA books stretch that almost to breaking...but, even the most die hard marvel pimp has to admit that some of the books of the same era are just as cheesey...

ok.....off my SA JLA soapbox...flame away...i am under the protection of the banana!

yay.gifyay.gifyay.gif

I was never a big fan of the JLA stories either. Too formulaic: bad guys do stuff in chapter 1; good guys pair up and split off to defeat bad guys in chapters 2 3 and 4. Reconvene and celibrate with not so witty banter at the end. Start all over next issue.. then every 8 issues here come the JSA again! whopedeedoo... I was disappointed in the first issue of IDENTITY CRISIS because they split up and went off just like the old days. Glad that was only a red herring device..