• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ebay Ethics Question

23 posts in this topic

If the grade was 8.5 I wouldn't list it as a VF/NM. I would only list a 8.5 as a VF.

If it was 9.0 I would list as VF/NM.

If higher then in the NM- area.

+1

As long as it is accurately described I see no harm. It does seem like a lot of hassle to move a book that most likely will not demand more money if it's cracked out of the slab. The modern world is without a doubt mostly a 9.8 or bust market in CGC land but many buyers are not slab collectors and have no issue buying one and cracking it themselves. The only way I would see the sale generating more money is if it was vague enough in the listing to provide hope to the buyer that they may luck out on it and that would be a no no. If it's unpressed that may be something to state in the description. 2c

I was lucky enough to have 4 East of West RRP double signed and sketched at C2E2 this year. One came back 9.8 :headbang: two were 9.6 and the last was 9.2.

I guess I'm wondering if i were to try to sell the 9.2, would I be better off leaving it slabbed or cracking and calling it NM-?

That is the "ethics" piece...I obviously would want to get as much as possible for the book, but it feels shady knowing that someone might buy it with hopes of submitting. A 9.2 slab might not attract as many buyers.

Full disclosure: I am keeping all 4 copies, this is just a hypothetical. I personally would never crack a yellow label.

Seeing that's it's signed I wouldn't take it out of slab.

Have the RRP's been pressed? If not you might want to send it to a presser that can press and keep the yellow label status. It could help the 9.2 move up a grade or so.

I'll post a pick when they arrive, I just went to shipped/safe status today. I remember he did do a different character on each. I also got a couple of Manhattan Projects signed, and pick up a Nick Pitarra commission ( I posted that in the commission thread....Science Friends)

You submit a modern comic to CGC, it comes back 8.5-9.4

Since most ebay buyers are looking for 9.6/9.8, is it wrong to crack a slab and sell the raw book as VF/NM?

Personally, I think if you went through the efforts and expenses of getting a book graded, keep it graded.

I don't think it's unethical nor false advertising to pitch the book raw as VF / NM, but I do think of the proverbial "it is what it is" and although grading is subjective at CGC and with anyone's judgment, call a spade a spade, no tom foolery.

The great aspect of selling it CGC graded is that it's certified, protected and authenticated, so the chances of customer complaints and returns is more limited.

Also, having it pre-slabbed with that assurance it's not restored and going through the pains (time and expense) adds a premium at times, so your buying audience as well as bid/offer/ask prices may increase.

Depending on the book, if it is one that continues to go up, just ice it for a while graded and maybe in a few years it'll increase to the values you're looking to sell it for.

The problem with the question, in cracking it out and trying to pitch it as VF/NM is that your decision is motivated by economics, not what's in the best interests of the sale to the buyer in hoping that you can get a bigger dollar because of the stigma of an assigned grade VS the vagueness of a proposed (VF/NM) grade when seen as raw.

If you do crack it out, tell 100% of the story, not just 50% in that most collectors want scans of not only the front but the back cover, and also in your own best interests, disclaim any visible flaws as well as provide close up photos, it'll only help you and your reputation as a seller.

If you're talking about a modern comic or something that isn't a major key, I don't see as an ethical quandary for 3 reasons:

1) CGC grades are not finite. There is a bit of variance, as evidenced by some gift grades. A CGC NM, could be someone else's VF+ and vice versa. So deslabing may not make it look any prettier.

2)The Ebay terminology of Fine, Very Fine, and Near Mint, 99.9% of the time appear to be general "opinions" of over all appearance and do not follow any grading system that I've seen.

3) A raw may not garner more money than a slabbed version even if you sneak it by a whole 1.0 higher (especially with moderns or non-keys). If you left it in the slab. A slabbed "certified" 8.0, is often worth more than someone's "Ebay VF/NM" imho.

A recent case in point:

I purchased a F/VF-ish copy of a convention comic that someone had evidently sent in to be graded, and then de-slabbed and sold as VF/NM on ebay. Though the photos told anyone with eyeballs it wasn't VF/NM. (I deduce it was slabbed as they had left the cgc archival paper in it when they sold it as a raw to me.) I wound up paying $60 for it including shipping.

Another person put up the same comic in a 7.5 or 8.0 a month or so later, that I happily paid $10-$15 more for in a BIN because it was slabbed and certified (and they had to pay a higher shipping cost because slabs are pricey to ship.)

Money breakdown:

Raw : Sale $ 60 . minus ship ($4) and ebay/paypal fees ($8.4) = Seller Net $47.60

Slab.: Sale $ 75. minus ship ($13) and ebay/paypal fees ($10.5) = Seller Net $51.50

They are both similar condition copies yet I feel that the slab was the better deal for me, and it also was more money pocketed by that seller than the one that de-slabbed and sold it raw.

But realize in this instance, it was a 20 year old copper/modern comic.

-Terry

Here's a hypothetical

You crack a CGC 9.2 for your personal collection, and are disappointed it looks no better than an 8.5 by your own standards.

What do you sell it as.

Here's a hypothetical

You crack a CGC 9.2 for your personal collection, and are disappointed it looks no better than an 8.5 by your own standards.

What do you sell it as.

I'm assuming we are talking of a book with some value, not a $5 thing.

I sell it with the label visible/included as a cracked out CGC 9.2. But I fully disclose the defects of the book that bother me, especially when they cannot be seen.

Given that CGC gave it's opinion, and they are what the market has accepted, I see nothing wrong with using that opinion to describe the grade the book. I would do the same if I thought the book was a 9.6. I don't feel I need to offer my opinion if I already have CGCs. Isn't that the point? (Unless some clear mistake was made, of course. Or SCS, or something.)

Each of us has our own things that "kill" a book for us. I hate ink flaking/cracking on the spine. I hate miswraps. I've seen CGC 9.8s with these defects. They just aren't 9.8s to me. But they are CGC 9.8s.

My $0.02.

Here's a hypothetical

What do you sell it as.

I wouldn't be terribly surprised because I believe I'm a much more conservative grader in this range than what I've seen from CGC. I'm also well aware that they're the experts. I've owned 10s of thousands of books at different times but I've probably graded and sold only a fraction of those.

I would never crack open a book if I ever intended to sell it. If I have to put my name me word on a raw book, I'd use my grade or in this case, the 8.5. 2c

I'd sell it as

"NM+ RARE HTF BOOK PRINTING ERROR ONLY 5 IN EXISTANCE 1 OWNED BY THE POPE"

With a BIN and best offer option.

Or you could leave it slabbed and just try to recoup your money?

But what do i know??

lol

Here's a hypothetical

This, unfortunately happens quite often . . . many of these books are sold and sold and sold again, before anyone cracks them out and faces the harsh reality. :(