• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Specialty insurance carriers?

10 posts in this topic

Can any of you guys recommend any specialty insurance carriers that specifically cover Comic Books? My home owners insurance won't cover collectibles like that. I'm guessing some of you may have insured your books at some point. Any recommendations on carriers would be appreciated.

Thanks!

+1

This is where my books are insured.

You choose the amount of coverage you want and you can change the amount at any time.

If you are going to insure you do not need an appraisal but along with the list of items you have to supply to the insurance company be sure you keep a copy for yourself and I would also recommend you take photo's of your books for yourself and store them on your computer and a flashdrive so if something happens you have photo's of the actual books.

I took group shots of the books and individual shots of the higher dollar/key books.

Each year I send them a new list of the books that were added that year and I photograph them as I get them.

Here are some examples of pics I took about 7 years ago when I first insured.

15wffkp.jpg

2ic9uz6.jpg

2yzmxwl.jpg

I have found that most break-ins of a home the guys will leave the comics and go for electronics. As for natural disasters and the likes, most insurance companies will cover comics for a price. I know State Farm does $1 for every $100 dollars in value covered. Plus State Farm is easy to use and their claims department does not require a list or appraisal.

I know most people might have more in value but if someone has 10k in value for comics it will be $100 a month.

I have found that most break-ins of a home the guys will leave the comics and go for electronics. As for natural disasters and the likes, most insurance companies will cover comics for a price. I know State Farm does $1 for every $100 dollars in value covered. Plus State Farm is easy to use and their claims department does not require a list or appraisal.

I know most people might have more in value but if someone has 10k in value for comics it will be $100 a month.

I think Collect Insure is about $0.50 for every $100 value, per year.

That is, a $10,000 policy is about $50 per year... or $4 per month.

A $100,000 policy is about $500 per year... or $40 per month.

Ever had to make a claim?

I see people using this company, and Collectible's Insurance, but not many people have claim experience to set the two apart.

I know there have been threads about claims to CollectInsure. I'm at work, and don't have time to find them right now. One thing I remember is someone saying if you make three claims they might drop you.

That sounds really high. I have $40k insurance from CollectInsure for $191 a year. And they only require a list of comics over a certain amount. $5K?

Last year I had a flood and my policy did cover comics but not at fmv according to the policy exclusion due to the nature of comics. However the insurance has to pay you the amount to make you whole so if you paid $100 for that comics 4 years ago and that comic is worth less now, they will pay the price of what it cost now. I had comics where I paid less and they gave me more.

Some policies do have limits of collectibles for home owners.