• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGM Southern Bastards 1

10 posts in this topic

Nothing breaks color and it doesn't look like there's any creasing it just looks like deep bends in the cover. Pressing should fix all of those flaws and from what I can see in the pictures the spine and the corners look really good. I think getting it pressed would result in a high grade(9.6-9.8) as long as there's no interior damage. Make sure you check all the pages CGC doesn't just grade the cover.

romanheart: id be ok with a 9.6 at this point. i bought them as 9.6s and in the pics they looked perfect. i think they got messed up somewhere along delivery. I dont know how it was when it was packaged but perhaps the seller had tape facing the books. Maybe they sent them this way who know, but i was expected near perfection. Luckily i got some money back

UncannyX-Force: Thank you for the response. I will def get it pressed then. I checked the page under the cover and it looked just fine luckily.

From what I saw, they didn't appear from shipping unless the shipping packaging had similar tampering. When you buy something pricey or finicky about the grade, have them take it out of the bag, and angle it under the light to look for dents or grooves. Move it around, don't just look at it flat. Don't forget to always look at the back. 9-9.6, it will still be a high grade book. If you are looking to sell and maximize profits, then it makes more sense to press. It's still a nice copy and a great series.

I agree with everything you've said 100%, except the bit about pressing this book.From the pics I saw, which I magnified, it looks like it would more than likely press out to a solid 9.8.BUt if he gets a 9.6, he's screwed.

Pressing + grading fees will outweigh the current value of the book in 9.6 (last 9.6 sale GPA has at $27) .....if he gets a 9.8, he'd turn a profit with GPA showing the last sale at $100.

That is, assuming he gets the book back from pressing+grading before the book trends downward....and whomever presses the book, doesn't induce any spine tics by not humidifying the book first.

If not relaxed somewhat, that sort of thick cardstock cover is prone to getting downgraded by a "quick press".

To the OP:

Just wait til you find a solid 9.8 raw at a show or if you didn't pay much for the book to start with......make sure that you go with a presser that will humidify the book beforehand, and not just pop it in the old toaster and call it a day ;)

Im really appreciating the great responses thank you.

I initially paid about 33ish for two books but when i saw the problem i contacted the seller and got a $10 discount. I would be ecstatic if this book got a 9.8 but I would be OK with a 9.6. I got two because it saved me a bit on shipping costs but i mainly got the first one just for myself and not to sell since i thought the series was awesome and may be a good long term investment

As for pressing companies, what would you recommend? I saw CCG was perhaps affiliated with CGC and they looked very professional and a couple bucks cheaper than alternatives but having no real experience im not sure what to use

Im really appreciating the great responses thank you.

I initially paid about 33ish for two books but when i saw the problem i contacted the seller and got a $10 discount. I would be ecstatic if this book got a 9.8 but I would be OK with a 9.6. I got two because it saved me a bit on shipping costs but i mainly got the first one just for myself and not to sell since i thought the series was awesome and may be a good long term investment

As for pressing companies, what would you recommend? I saw CCG was perhaps affiliated with CGC and they looked very professional and a couple bucks cheaper than alternatives but having no real experience im not sure what to use

CCS and CFP are two companies that I have used personally, and both have done good work.