• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is this legit?

46 posts in this topic

After looking at it closely, the things the other members pointed out were there. There was a break in the consistency of the color on the label around the "white pages" and another number was actually photocopied onto the last digit of the serial number. It's pretty upsetting to know that this practice is taking place because a large part of grading a book is to make sure no one tampered with it. I'm going to go through all of my CGCs now and look at them with a closer eye.

Can you provide new close-up pics of the label and the top of the inner sleeve?

After looking at it closely, the things the other members pointed out were there. There was a break in the consistency of the color on the label around the "white pages" and another number was actually photocopied onto the last digit of the serial number. It's pretty upsetting to know that this practice is taking place because a large part of grading a book is to make sure no one tampered with it. I'm going to go through all of my CGCs now and look at them with a closer eye.

Can you provide new close-up pics of the label and the top of the inner sleeve?

Well...it's been over 24 hours. I could be wrong, but I don't think we'll be seeing the pics I asked for.

Again, could be wrong, but I think there's one of three possibilities here:

1) The seller shopped the pic (no label swapping or physical modification involved at all).

2) Dr. Wertham is a shill.

3) Both of the above.

To my eye, the pic has been shopped...and very crudely. My bet is on #3.

Hey guys, I understand if you want pics. I'm just not on here a lot. Again, this was listed for my friend. I don't want you to get this wrong. I feel TERRIBLE that I missed this obviously doctored book. I WILL provide pics tomorrow. After looking at it, it's pretty obvious where the case was cracked. If you want to have a pariah, my eBay name is "stepbrotherb". This is not a shill. This isn't an attempt to deceive. It was a mistake and I'm glad that the buyer went to this forum to get all of your opinions. When you scamps get together, you're worse than a sewing circle. I'm trying to get my buddy to find the seller receipt but he's dragging his feet. To me this is a criminal issue, but he seems willing to let it go for some stupid reason. It was purchased years ago and going back that far, it's hard to track down. Advise on how to do this from any of you would be greatly appreciated Is it easy to get transaction records from PayPal? Should we contact eBay by phone and put them on the case? Has this happened to any of you before? It was bought off of Scambay, as you call it, so there has to be a paper trail. Thanks for any of your input and I'll get back on here more frequently.

I woke up at 5:30 am still tired and saw this thread. I thought he had already paid and was asking about it after the fact. When I realized this was done BEFORE it was a relief.

What country do you live in? And how did you "see" this thread?

Being here for a while makes me occasionally forget Hanlon's Razor: Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity

Cause I think the default position here is to assume malice anytime something like this comes up & often, carelessness or not looking closely enough at things can lead to the same results far more regularly.