• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Thread closed! Thanks for the donations and helping out!

78 posts in this topic

Just got back into to town from helping a friend move and am catching up on all of this.

As Sean pointed out early on, I do owe boardies art for some time, and the truth is the lack of funds has hindered my ability to get the work done.

When things started to fall apart I was able to slowly get work done that I owed people while creating new art to keep myself afloat each month. As things got ever worse, all owed work got put aside to focus on getting work done to pay that months bills, which then spiraled into an ever deepening gap of work owed while trying to get by each month. This is not even touching on the emotional aspects needed to be creative and do work that is worth looking at.

In a state of constantly being behind financially, I can get caught up, then a simple blow like my printer needing repairs to finish orders sets me back even further as I have to focus on other ways to raise the money to pay for the repairs to fulfill the obligations.

There have been numerous setbacks I won't go into, but each one is a blow that has taken weeks to recover from. I am also trying to catch up on other orders not related to the boards, some of which have had deadlines that could not be moved, so they had to take precedence.

I know many people are frustrated at the time it is taking, but I will always honor what I owe people, and will do so as quickly as I can. I understand the frustration, and with the lack of a steady place to live and general stress my communication has not been up to par. I am working on righting this and catching up on what I owe people. It takes time and money, but it will be taken care of.

Thank you for the thread offering to help, everything does help, and will enable me to get my obligations taken care of faster.

That was my hope. Letting people know that what's happening in your life has had such a massive impact on you that it has also impacted the people you've dealt with and are waiting for artwork from you.

Getting you back on your feet and stable financially will give you piece of mind but it will also help everyone who's been waiting for pieces and rooting for you to get everything back to where you want it to be.

It was never a zero sum proposition where it was either helping you or helping the people who've invested time and money and are waiting pieces from you as some have clumsily suggested. There's room for you to get the assistance you need so that you can get back on top of your responsibilities and that can take care of all those boardies waiting on you what they've bought.

No one wants to see you or the people waiting on you hurt in any way.

Wednesday hump day bump. It looks like the thread has stalled fro various reasons so I'll close the thread down tomorrow. Please feel free to post up any books you want to sell with the proceeds going to Matt (none of the money will be going to board members who he owes art to). It was good to see he is going to use the money positively and hopefully it will help him get back on his feet.

Just got back into to town from helping a friend move and am catching up on all of this.

As Sean pointed out early on, I do owe boardies art for some time, and the truth is the lack of funds has hindered my ability to get the work done.

When things started to fall apart I was able to slowly get work done that I owed people while creating new art to keep myself afloat each month. As things got ever worse, all owed work got put aside to focus on getting work done to pay that months bills, which then spiraled into an ever deepening gap of work owed while trying to get by each month. This is not even touching on the emotional aspects needed to be creative and do work that is worth looking at.

In a state of constantly being behind financially, I can get caught up, then a simple blow like my printer needing repairs to finish orders sets me back even further as I have to focus on other ways to raise the money to pay for the repairs to fulfill the obligations.

There have been numerous setbacks I won't go into, but each one is a blow that has taken weeks to recover from. I am also trying to catch up on other orders not related to the boards, some of which have had deadlines that could not be moved, so they had to take precedence.

I know many people are frustrated at the time it is taking, but I will always honor what I owe people, and will do so as quickly as I can. I understand the frustration, and with the lack of a steady place to live and general stress my communication has not been up to par. I am working on righting this and catching up on what I owe people. It takes time and money, but it will be taken care of.

Thank you for the thread offering to help, everything does help, and will enable me to get my obligations taken care of faster.

Hats off to you Matthew, there is a lot of honor in your words.

I wish you the best and expedient recovery possible.

I hope one day I can find you an share a coffee of beer with you and pick your brain about the illustration craft. Currently, I am a successful art director and even though I like design, I've felt that there is something missing. With that, my goal over the next year is push more towards an illustrator path.

Keep your chin up brother. I'm praying that only great things come your way.

WL

Art is an up and down field. They love you when your up, not so when your down. :P

Hang in there Matt (thumbs u

Hats off to you Matthew, there is a lot of honor in your words.

I wish you the best and expedient recovery possible.

I hope one day I can find you an share a coffee of beer with you and pick your brain about the illustration craft. Currently, I am a successful art director and even though I like design, I've felt that there is something missing. With that, my goal over the next year is push more towards an illustrator path.

Keep your chin up brother. I'm praying that only great things come your way.

WL

I'll pass on the advice a friend recently gave me - as long as you're getting a paycheck, stay where you are.

He was right, but all things must come to pass.

Wow - thanks Boba. I'll send out invoices tomorrow after the thread closes down. I got some good advice from Sharon that I will follow.

I'd like a clarification of this, please. does this mean the money will help get you on your feet so you can start taking care of your obligations or does this mean the money will be used to send to folks who originally paid for things?

Like others have said, I don't want to donate money simply to pay off old debts.

I'd like a clarification of this, please. does this mean the money will help get you on your feet so you can start taking care of your obligations or does this mean the money will be used to send to folks who originally paid for things?

Like others have said, I don't want to donate money simply to pay off old debts.

As far as I know nothing is going to people who are still owed art, I am still working on getting that caught up. All postcards should be mailed by Saturday, the cover commissions and Sean's are naturally going to take longer because of their size.

Wow - thanks Boba. I'll send out invoices tomorrow after the thread closes down. I got some good advice from Sharon that I will follow.

I got the sales between Boba, beaumonts and lizards2 covered - $ for books sent and payment confirmed by Matthew.

this is none of my business, but folks owed art, i understand the frustration of waiting (i am owed nothing, i'm just saying generally), but i have to assume you weren't doing this as business transactions to re-sell, but to enjoy the work. it doesn't look like anyone is demanding a refund, which is good. let matt get his life back together, these funds will no doubt help, and I have little doubt he is going to make good on his artistic obligations and give you something more amazing than what you were going to originally get. i can imagine it is hard to do his sort of whimsical work when he's in the middle of a giant sh*t storm.

he's done some amazing work for people here over the years and the prices charged looked very reasonable. i have one of his paintings hanging in my living room. i thought of selling it during a hard patch, but my wife told me i shouldn't because it's one of a kind, so i sold some other things to pay the bills that month. that drunk bear in the woods has been looking over my kids growing up in that room for years now.

this is none of my business, but folks owed art, i understand the frustration of waiting (i am owed nothing, i'm just saying generally), but i have to assume you weren't doing this as business transactions to re-sell, but to enjoy the work. it doesn't look like anyone is demanding a refund, which is good. let matt get his life back together, these funds will no doubt help, and I have little doubt he is going to make good on his artistic obligations and give you something more amazing than what you were going to originally get. i can imagine it is hard to do his sort of whimsical work when he's in the middle of a giant sh*t storm.

he's done some amazing work for people here over the years and the prices charged looked very reasonable. i have one of his paintings hanging in my living room. i thought of selling it during a hard patch, but my wife told me i shouldn't because it's one of a kind, so i sold some other things to pay the bills that month. that drunk bear in the woods has been looking over my kids growing up in that room for years now.

(thumbs u

This charity thread has officially closed but I'd like to thank everyone for the donations and if nothing else the lively discussions. The money raised will help out Shiverbones and it looks like it has helped him get re-active on the boards. Good luck Matt!

the photo doesn't do it justice. there are little subtle things going on you don't pick up. it's not easy to hit a HR every time on these things. matt has done a few other drunk bear paintings, and they were nice, but i feel like he killed it on this one. such a sad little bear.