• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Poor grading of Raw Books in the Sales Forum!

150 posts in this topic

Irrational enthusiasm is at a high when a large number of desirable books hit the market in a single sales thread. People will buy even when they know books are overgraded, and priced as if they are not overgraded. Just take a look now to watch the phenomenon.

Thank goodness for your post.

I thought I was the only one that was witness to that.

If I graded like that I would be worried about all the time spent

accepting returns.

outside of grading, i understand folks think some of the prices asked for are just silly, and some are, particularly with raw books being marketed as 9.8s, but some folks here also expect a price 10-20% below that of the lowest raw auction result in the last 2 months, but if people on ebay are popping BINs at higher numbers, as sellers we need to take that into account too. but yes, pricing on par or higher than the highest BIN out there (or divad auction) is also unrealistic. auctions are fickle. all too often i cannot get a minimum bid on an auction, stick it in a fixed price format with best offer for 50% more than my prior opening bid and wind up selling the item for a chunk more than my old minimum bid was. so what is the real FMV?

Something that can’t be seen from a scan, of course, but which I find quite disappointing, is poor page quality. This is especially true when I’ve bought a raw on the boards that was assessed as being NM+ or NM, paid a high price for that grade, and received a book which appeared to have been stored in a pile with the edges exposed to direct sunlight for a very prolonged period, resulting in obvious browning of the paper.

Being from the UK, if it’s one or two books like this, say below $50, and due to extortionate shipping charges, I don’t return the items but would never order from that seller again.

Something that can’t be seen from a scan, of course, but which I find quite disappointing, is poor page quality. This is especially true when I’ve bought a raw on the boards that was assessed as being NM+ or NM, paid a high price for that grade, and received a book which appears to have been stored in a pile with the edges exposed to direct sunlight for a very prolonged period, resulting in obvious browning of the paper.

Being from the UK, if it’s one or two books like this, say below $50, and due to extortionate shipping charges, I don’t return the items but would never order from that seller again.

I entirely understand you. Page quality, more or less, should always be stated.

It is one of the most important factors for me, especially if I have to spend considerable money on books I particularly care about.

I also agree about the seller policy. It has happened just 2-3 times to me, but as you say, I just stop buying from that seller. (thumbs u