• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Poor grading of Raw Books in the Sales Forum!

150 posts in this topic

the thing is, there is still a ton of great affordable stuff out there. heck, plenty of BA keys if you are not worried about condition, and still SA minor first apps and what not.

yes, more semi-keys/1sts are popping than ever before, or at least in 20 years, but it is still a tiny fraction of the market.

go to a show with $200 in your pocket, hunt around, and you can come home with a big pile of great stuff or a few really good books (everything is relative, of course).

and on ebay you could get a lot of great stuff for $200, problem is, shipping might make it $400.

The actual problem, here – it seems – is people overgrading (by ignorance or on purpose, or both) and overpricing. Please have at least one OR the other… :P

There are still a few sellers that grade on the tight side, and price all their books fairly. You can tell, because those threads move a bunch of books really quickly. Either you want to sell or you don't.

I hate seeing threads where people are clearly just "fishing." Leave that on ebay.

vWc6R1f.jpg

Grade on the tight side, price on the low side of making at least a few bucks, and stock up on shipping materials before hand. It's surprising to see how many books are gone in 3 hours, let alone 24.

If you want to sell a book, you've got to want to sell a book.

Irrational enthusiasm is at a high when a large number of desirable books hit the market in a single sales thread. People will buy even when they know books are overgraded, and priced as if they are not overgraded. Just take a look now to watch the phenomenon.
Be sure to check for the undisclosed tape and missing pages! :thumbsup:

Whoa! Hard to catch those picky details when you're bag grading. :idea:

Wait a sec..., it's not me it's those low-life employees.., :cool:

Irrational enthusiasm is at a high when a large number of desirable books hit the market in a single sales thread. People will buy even when they know books are overgraded, and priced as if they are not overgraded. Just take a look now to watch the phenomenon.

Then they bump their threads incessantly when the books are priced 20% over GPA, because their book presents so much better than all the others that sold before it, and the colors are brighter, and the registration is better. Yet, somehow, it's still for sale, and not on it's way to a shiny new house.

But pricing is FIRM, in all caps of course.

Irrational exuberance or the lemmings effect.

If I posted a raw book in the for sale section of this forum and it was either a) under-graded or b) over-graded, I would really appreciate someone who is more experienced shooting me a PM so that I could adjust my sales thread.

I don't think they should post that in the thread to give the impression that the seller is a cheat or an insufficiently_thoughtful_person. Nor would I want to know that some of the more experienced guys are talking smack about me in a PM.

Mistakes happen and we aren't all as experienced in grading as some others on here. I'd like to think that the vast majority of guys here genuinely enjoy comics, want honest and positive transactions and want the hobby to be one with a good/fair reputation.

If I posted a raw book in the for sale section of this forum and it was either a) under-graded or b) over-graded, I would really appreciate someone who is more experienced shooting me a PM so that I could adjust my sales thread.

I don't think they should post that in the thread to give the impression that the seller is a cheat or an insufficiently_thoughtful_person. Nor would I want to know that some of the more experienced guys are talking smack about me in a PM.

Mistakes happen and we aren't all as experienced in grading as some others on here. I'd like to think that the vast majority of guys here genuinely enjoy comics, want honest and positive transactions and want the hobby to be one with a good/fair reputation.

Your comment is absolutely true in a vacuum situation.

However, some of the people doing the over-grading/over-pricing know damn well what they're doing.

Your comment is absolutely true in a vacuum situation.

However, some of the people doing the over-grading/over-pricing know damn well what they're doing.

I agree with you 100%

They know they're doing it - and it taints the hobby in my opinion.

I've bought and sold many things online over the years (locally, nationwide (CAN), and to the USA) and I've always tried to maintain a high standard in making smooth transactions. I know there are shady guys out there who over-price and nickle&dime you, stand you up when you're supposed to meet them, etc. Despite what I really want to tell someone who offers me $25 for a $100 item, I keep it to myself because I don't want the reputation of buying/selling online to become a joke (which it kinda has already). I don't want the online market place to become something associated with cretins and miscreants.

the same can be said of this hobby if there aren't people out there who are willing to keep it honest

Why don't we work on getting pictures first before we pass judgements on the grades those pictures are based on.

Baby steps people, baby steps.

+1, pictures plus at least some kind of description, esp on books sold for more than a few $$ would make it a lot easier. BACK and front pictures.

The problem is, it does take a lot of time and many people are in quick mode lately.

the thing is, there is still a ton of great affordable stuff out there. heck, plenty of BA keys if you are not worried about condition, and still SA minor first apps and what not.

yes, more semi-keys/1sts are popping than ever before, or at least in 20 years, but it is still a tiny fraction of the market.

go to a show with $200 in your pocket, hunt around, and you can come home with a big pile of great stuff or a few really good books (everything is relative, of course).

and on ebay you could get a lot of great stuff for $200, problem is, shipping might make it $400.

The actual problem, here – it seems – is people overgrading (by ignorance or on purpose, or both) and overpricing. Please have at least one OR the other… :P

There are still a few sellers that grade on the tight side, and price all their books fairly. You can tell, because those threads move a bunch of books really quickly. Either you want to sell or you don't.

I hate seeing threads where people are clearly just "fishing." Leave that on ebay.

vWc6R1f.jpg

Grade on the tight side, price on the low side of making at least a few bucks, and stock up on shipping materials before hand. It's surprising to see how many books are gone in 3 hours, let alone 24.

If you want to sell a book, you've got to want to sell a book.

That is the divide between someone wanting to SELL something, and wanting someone to BUY something. I can't ever think of an instance where I thought I was entitled to an inflated price for any book compared to actual sales in the same/similar condition, but that seems to be the attitude of more and more sellers regardless of what they think they have or it's perceived condition.

If you want to sell something, price it slightly below market with shipping included and someone will swoop it up. If you want someone to buy something, run an auction with your absurd reserve price and watch that ish continually not hit the mark.

Bingo! ^^

Same here.. Let me if know if my grading is off and why and I'll make it right.

+1 !

Time ago I used to do so here and there, but sometimes those who I gave advice to, more or less left the stated grades as they were (i.e. not correct) so I ended up getting tired… :P

My grading is atrocious

Generated in 0.019 seconds in which 0.004 seconds were spent on a total of 16 queries. Zlib compression enabled.

Generated in 0.027 seconds in which 0.007 seconds were spent on a total of 16 queries. Zlib compression enabled.