• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PLOD dilemma

34 posts in this topic

I stopped collecting 8 years ago after I discovered dealers were trying to sell me touched up books. I just recently submitted the books I bought 8 years ago to cgc and 2 came back PLOD-edI Both plods were purchased from the same dealer confused-smiley-013.gif but I dont have a receipt. Do I have any recourse? I guess my statue of limitations is long gone. Any thoughts? Oh the dealer is on the Overstreet board fyi.

Both plods were purchased from the same dealer

It may also mean both PLODs were purchased from the same collection. You said you sub'd books to CGC and two came back PLODs. Were there others from the same delaer that didn't come back that way?

I'm not sure if I should out this dealer on the boards as he might not have known. However the only 2 books i bought from him were ploded. I also remember he had a bunch of touched up books that he was selling as restored at the time. In retrospect it just smells a little fishy!

The funny thing is that everyone wants to know who the dealer was.

But the truth is that I'm sure any major dealer whose been around a decade or more has sold restored books (no way to know if they did it on purpose or by accident).

I will say that I bought two PLODS at the same time from the same dealer at a convention in 1992. His initials are JHV. Both keys, one with glue on the spine and the other cleaned and pressed.

And I have also stated on this board, that I bought an ORIGINAL OWNER key from Calvin Slobodian, that had a very small color touch. I remember calling him the day I received the book, and asked about it, and of course he said he never restored any of his books (which has now been proven to be a lie).

CGC is the only way to go!!!!!

As I said, I pretty much think every dealer has sold PLOD books.

There's really no way of knowing what he knew at the time that he sold you the books.

All that said, I say go ahead and say his name.

The fact is, if you were buying books from a dealer today and then sent them in to CGC and they were coming back Overgrade / Restored, why shouldn't you tell everyone else. You would hope they would tell you.

Just my opinion.

is it fair to out him on the boards?

Depends whether you think you'll ever want to do business with him again. I'd never deal with a POS like Gerry Ross, so I have no problems with outing him here for selling me a bunch of PLODs, which I've done previously. The dealer that I purchased the X-Men #1 that came back as a PLOD, I have no outed because it was part of our deal when he agreed to reimburse me, and I've done further business with him (for slabbed books only!).

BTW, I think 8 years is probably too long for you to make any kind of legal claim. Anyways, be glad the 3 big-ticket books that you first posted on these boards didn't get PLODs. As Steve has pointed out, undisclosed resto used to be a way of life, so if you bought back issues back in the old days, the odds are that some will come back as PLODs.

Both keys, one with glue on the spine and the other cleaned and pressed.

I thought "pressing" wasn't restoration? The riddle continues. confused-smiley-013.gif

"Cleaning and pressing" is not the same as "pressing". The former involves disassembly, which CGC regards as a PLODable offence, the latter does not.

I stopped collecting 8 years ago after I discovered dealers were trying to sell me touched up books. I just recently submitted the books I bought 8 years ago to cgc and 2 came back PLOD-edI Both plods were purchased from the same dealer confused-smiley-013.gif but I dont have a receipt. Do I have any recourse? I guess my statue of limitations is long gone. Any thoughts? Oh the dealer is on the Overstreet board fyi.

Why don't you simply contact the dealer and give him a chance to square things first? IF I were the dealer and either trusted you or suspected I may ahve missed the resto (perhaps similar complaints came from that batch of books) I would compensate you regardless of the time since sale. If you don't give him the chance to respond, "outing" him here would be wrong, plus you can kiss away any chance of a refund.