• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Number of lurkers here going way up

71 posts in this topic

I lurked for a long time. I found a lot of the posts interesting but didn't feel I had time to contribute in a meaningful way. Wanted to do more than just post graemlins poke2.gif

I was at last year's Chicago Con and Steve B encouranged me to do the forum dinner. I was hooked. Signed on the next day and started sharing pre-hero scans and what not.

And I actually buy and sell more with other board members (who I trust because I've met many of them) rather than use ebay like I used to.

I encourage the lurkers to sign up and join the pah-ty!

I think one reason why some people don't want to post is because they are afraid of being flamed if they say the wrong thing. My wife once participated in a message board somewhere, I don't even know the topic, but whatever it was, some people didn't like what she wrote and flamed her badly. After just that one time she said she'd never write on a message board again. Perhaps a little too sensitive, but that's her. I imagine some lurkers are afraid of the same thing.

After seeing the way some of the guys here flamed.gif, I can actually understand.

I think one reason why some people don't want to post is because they are afraid of being flamed if they say the wrong thing. My wife once participated in a message board somewhere, I don't even know the topic, but whatever it was, some people didn't like what she wrote and flamed her badly. After just that one time she said she'd never write on a message board again. Perhaps a little too sensitive, but that's her. I imagine some lurkers are afraid of the same thing.

After seeing the way some of the guys here flamed.gif, I can actually understand.

Flamed????.....here????.....among the annoited of God????hail.gifhail.gif

What about hybrids - those of us who have signed up but don't post much????

All are welcome, just follow the rules, be nice(as you can), it's about the 'passion' that you share with all of us

'comic - book - geeks', so post away, IT'S ALL GOOOOOOOD!!! 893applaud-thumb.gifthumbsup2.gifheadbang.gifyay.gifhi.gif

Yeah, that could turn anyone off.

There are clearly people here who just like to stir things up. I try to ignore them. poke2.gifgrin.gif But some of the flame wars are fun, and are intentionally funny between 2 board members who know each other well. People who don't know that think they hate eachother and are the world's biggest jerks.

A few points of advice to newbies and lurkers is as follows:

1. Read the FAQs and the thread in this section "information, knowledge, and these boards" by Pedigree Man

2. Occasionally search the archive. Some of the most interesting and informative posts are old ones. It also helps you keep from asking something that's been asked umpteen times.

3. Don't be thin-skinned and freak out if somebody disagrees with you.

4. Have FUN, share your enthusiasm!

There are clearly people here who just like to stir things up. I try to ignore them. poke2.gifgrin.gif But some of the flame wars are fun, and are intentionally funny between 2 board members who know each other well. People who don't know that think they hate eachother and are the world's biggest jerks.

1. Read the FAQs and the thread in this section "information, knowledge, and these boards" by Pedigree Man

2. Occasionally search the archive. Some of the most interesting and informative posts are old ones. It also helps you keep from asking something that's been asked umpteen times.

What, are you running for board president or something? poke2.gif

flowerred.gif

What, are you running for board president or something? poke2.gif

flowerred.gif

How's this:

Pizz off, you bunghole lickers!!!!

Better? poke2.gif

All I can say is that this forum is tame compared to the political one I was posting in prior to the elections. At least no one threatens you here on these boards. thumbsup2.gif

All I can say is that this forum is tame compared to the political one I was posting in prior to the elections. At least no one threatens you here on these boards. thumbsup2.gif

I'd say that the boards, with the exception of one or two malcontents and pathological ne'er-do-wells (you know who you are) have become a very accepting place in the last few months. This could be due to an influx of more veteran experts from other areas (such as the now defunct CBM and OS Monthly) seeking a platform, or possibly that certain boorish behavior is no longer considered okay as it may frighten off such valuable people.

Either way it's now becoming more clear in the hobby that this is the Forum to watch.

I would have to agree. I think that the boards have been better for the past few months as well. Not sure why I feel this way??

The GA Forum is attracting a lot of old time collectors and heavy hitters, whilst Comics General has seen less acrimony lately. Probably a combination of new blood and the absence of certain agitators.

There's a fair few threads where I don't participate as they have been very resourceful on subjects I'm not that familiar with - especially GA pedigrees and how they were found etc.

I would have to agree. I think that the boards have been better for the past few months as well. Not sure why I feel this way??

The GA Forum is attracting a lot of old time collectors and heavy hitters, whilst Comics General has seen less acrimony lately. Probably a combination of new blood and the absence of certain agitators.

There's a fair few threads where I don't participate as they have been very resourceful on subjects I'm not that familiar with - especially GA pedigrees and how they were found etc.

There's been an influx of really nice scans of both Golden and Silver Age books; Esquirecomics, Bob Bierbohm and Jon Berk (JBComicbox) in the Golden Age Forum and new-comer AdamStrange in the Silver Age are of note. 893applaud-thumb.gifthumbsup2.gif

Lot's of information about Golden Age books, their history and storys behind a few Pedigree's. Good stuff ! cloud9.gif

There's been an influx of really nice scans of both Golden and Silver Age books; Esquire, Bob Bierbohm and Jon Berk in the Golden Age Forum and new-comer AdamStrange in the Silver Age are of note. 893applaud-thumb.gifthumbsup2.gif

Kot's of information about Golden Age books, their history and story behind a few Pedigree's. Good stuff ! cloud9.gif

screwy.gif