• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do you ever throw comics in the trash?

60 posts in this topic

Throwing comic books in the garbage is like throwing a bible in the trash. U just don;t do it. I don;t care if the comic is Little Lulu. Its sacrilegious.

Agreed. As much as I like Ted and Superworld Comics, it makes me cringe every time they do one of their Trash-A-Comic videos.

I probably have over the years but very rarely-- and typically because the book was soiled or damaged in some way that made it unrecoverable. Gross books basically.

Bear in mind that I own maybe two or three books total that would be considered 1990s drek -- thrown in with other eBay purchases. I just bagged and boarded them and put them to the side in case I decide to read them sometime. I would still probably not just throw them away if I got some need to rid myself of them.

Part of the reason for not throwing out books might have come from how I picked up some books as a kid. I was a cub scout and we were going around the neighborhood picking up peoples paper stuff for a paper drive. I happened to find a bundle of beater comic books and was overjoyed to find them. It was a real hodgepodge group of books-- some marvel, dc, and dells -- mid 1970s-- "well read" but at the time-- they were just more books to read. I probably still have some of them in my collection as fillers.

I'm also working on limited space. I keep my comics in a single closet, basically on a four shelf rack where only three of the shelves can hold a box. The top shelf is too close to the closet's shelf, so I use that top shelf for comics that I need to file, send for pressing or grading, read, etc.

I kind of made that my mental limit. Whatever I can fit in there I will collect as I don't want this hobby to take over an entire room or house like I know it does for some people. I also have an anti-pack rat streak that likes to clean out. I will try to sell some things, as much as I can, but I also know that I would have to sell some dirt cheap and people online are hardly interested in paying shipping for some of this stuff. So into the garbage it goes.

fwiw no 90s drek here, unless someone sends me freebies.

You're not a true collector unless you could be featured on an episode of Hoarders. meh

Poseur. :baiting:

I'm also working on limited space. I keep my comics in a single closet, basically on a four shelf rack where only three of the shelves can hold a box. The top shelf is too close to the closet's shelf, so I use that top shelf for comics that I need to file, send for pressing or grading, read, etc.

I kind of made that my mental limit. Whatever I can fit in there I will collect as I don't want this hobby to take over an entire room or house like I know it does for some people. I also have an anti-pack rat streak that likes to clean out. I will try to sell some things, as much as I can, but I also know that I would have to sell some dirt cheap and people online are hardly interested in paying shipping for some of this stuff. So into the garbage it goes.

fwiw no 90s drek here, unless someone sends me freebies.

If someone gave me a stack of Jim Lee books that weren't keys or anything I'd toss em. I have absolutely no interest in reading or keeping those. I wouldn't give em to kids because the chicks he draws can be considered inappropriate by some parents. So yeah-trash city.

If someone gave me a stack of Jim Lee books that weren't keys or anything I'd toss em. I have absolutely no interest in reading or keeping those. I wouldn't give em to kids because the chicks he draws can be considered inappropriate by some parents. So yeah-trash city.

You sir, are in internet person_having_a_hard_time_understanding_my_point that no one listens too. Carry on.

You sir, are in internet person_having_a_hard_time_understanding_my_point that no one listens too. Carry on.

Oakland you are a no one! :(

I just can't stomach Jim lee-all his characters look exactly the same and he has absolutely no design sense-just draws a wad of superheroes and calls it a cover....

Plus he learned to draw women's hips from Rob Liefeld.

Had a couple of longs of drek in my parents' garage. My dad moved them from where they were safe, put them on the floor near the door. Huge storm and water goes under the door soaking the boxes. Pointless keeping or donating soon to be moldy comics.

Some of that 90s drek is probably worth something now.

Would never throw out anything give awayable. If nothing else I hand them out for Halloween and I get a good reaction from the teens and preteens.

Nope. I buy one copy, for reading purposes. No plans on slabbing it. If I don't like it, it eventually goes in a sale thread or my trade box or on eBay or Craigslist when the pile of comics I don't want gets too big.

I'd rather give away comics for free than throw them in the trash. Your neighbor might have been very happy to own that comic you deemed as worthless (shrug)

at the very least, we could start a junk pile thread where people could offer up these books for free with the taker paying shipping.

Add the reason you are getting rid of them -- be it damaged or just nothing you care about/feel has no value.

Put a time limit on it as far as how long before you give up and dump/recycle them.

Not exactly a PIF or RAK -- more like a "Save The Pulp" = STP

I donate all my drek but I'd probably throw out a book with mold or mildew or stunk thru the bag. Nobody wants a stinky book.

I doubt a junk donkey would fork over the shipping cost on someones drek-- but what the hell is a Key Donkey anyway?

Opposite of a Junk Donkey.

In the PIF thread, people put up decent stuff and some well known JDs scoop them up and offer up drek/junk.

My attempted joke was, well, an attempt...