• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What artist work do you believe is undervalued?

67 posts in this topic

The answer is: No one.

Let us face the facts, that all of this boils down to this one cogent point: "The artist's work is never cheap enough for you, when you want to buy. And it's never expensive enough for you, when you go to sell." That's where all the talk of "undervalued/overvalued" comes from.

I think he's saying the infinity inc work is in an immature style and not really what people want from the artist. You see flashes but he hadn't developed yet. Cheap because it's not what people want.

I agree on McFarlane. I think we were posting at the same time. Quality isn't there compared to his work to come but those pages are pretty cheap. I think one went for over a grand on one of the previous Comic Link auctions. That was a pleasant surprise.

I think $13.1K for a Lee Weeks Daredevil cover tells you how much quality factors into the price of comic art. :fear:

I don't understand your post.

It means that you keep talking about "quality" being there and art being "pleasing to the eye", but all of that often/usually takes a backseat to the subject matter and the nostalgia and popularity that surrounds the characters, storylines, etc. I mean, George Perez may be to Rembrandt as Lee Weeks is to Thomas Kinkade, but people are going to pay big bucks for Lee Weeks' DD #293 cover, but no one cares about a George Perez page from Prime, even though Perez is a huge name in the industry.

You seem to have made my point without making an attempt - Perez's work on Prime is UNDERVALUED at this moment in time. Over time I believe it will go up in value. Kind of like all that art you love to brag about going up in price because you bought it 10+ years ago when the OA market was different. The market catches up as the choice pieces get pulled into collections and collectors are forced to put other pages of other books into their collection.

Of course, it just might be your opinion that McFarlane's work on Infinity, Inc. and Perez's on Prime will never increase in value.

hum let think here. how about these guys. ;]

rich buckler.

al milgrom.

wow you are right about these guys too. Very good values for the cost now when looking at bronze and copper age art.

You seem to have made my point without making an attempt - Perez's work on Prime is UNDERVALUED at this moment in time. Over time I believe it will go up in value. The market catches up as the choice pieces get pulled into collections and collectors are forced to put other pages of other books into their collection.

Of course, it just might be your opinion that McFarlane's work on Infinity, Inc. and Perez's on Prime will never increase in value.

That's precisely my point. I don't know too many collectors who are priced out of, say, McSpidey or Perez Avengers who would settle for an Infinity Inc. or Prime page. Those pages are cheap for a reason and are not undervalued, IMO.

Kind of like all that art you love to brag about going up in price because you bought it 10+ years ago when the OA market was different.

I think everyone here can see that this is a case of mistaken identity and that you're pointing the finger at the wrong Boardie. :doh: :facepalm::makepoint:

157439.jpg.69cb59021465c32e908d7ddb90283e3d.jpg

I think the better term is "under appreciated"

Every piece of art is at the value the interest level and appreciation level dictates.

Some artists have talent, ability and lasting impact that is not reflected in auction or sales results.

The answer is: No one.

Let us face the facts, that all of this boils down to this one cogent point: "The artist's work is never cheap enough for you, when you want to buy. And it's never expensive enough for you, when you go to sell." That's where all the talk of "undervalued/overvalued" comes from.

There's also different perspectives on value. I buy very little mainstream art because I am generally unhappy with what I get for what I pay. So I buy certain illo art that I think is undervalued and when I buy comic art at all it's usually art from 80s independents because those are often cheaper yet I like them as much or more as anything from the big two/ three

I think the better term is "under appreciated"

Every piece of art is at the value the interest level and appreciation level dictates.

Some artists have talent, ability and lasting impact that is not reflected in auction or sales results.

Agree

We're not going to do the work for you OP, figure it out for yourself and put your money down. At best a 50/50 shot anyway. If it was easy everybody would be doing it and then who would be the greater fools we'd be selling to down the road?

The above somewhat tongue in cheek (though not entirely), on a more serious note: it's pretty hard to find value buys falling out of trees in a mature market. Even if only 80% of the long cyclical move in "what you like" is baked in at this point...that's not much meat left for newcomers.

If you must buy comic art in 2015 after at least thirty years of appreciation in bronze and earlier work, just man up and buy exactly what you want/like from a nostalgia and art perspective. A lot of money? Too much money? Then sell sht you don't want/need and save up. But don't expect to cash out big time in twenty or thirty years. You may, but don't expect it. Just get it and enjoy it.

The same is true of 80s and 90s art, though the potential for some further growth is greater as they (90s in particular) may still be finding it's voice among old and new collectors. But the previous paragraph is probably still more right than wrong re: ROI style thinking. Don't spend more than you can afford to give up on fanciful decoration that may only ever give you back what you put into in purchasing power.

I guess the better question then, is who are the next artists who are currently "reasonably price" but who will see a quantum jump in value?

I would appreciate this info as well, along with where I can find said art....and a loan to procure selfsame.

giphy.gif

I guess the better question then, is who are the next artists who are currently "reasonably price" but who will see a quantum jump in value?

I would appreciate this info as well, along with where I can find said art....and a loan to procure selfsame.

Look at my CAF and buy the exact OPPOSITE :boo:

What's the opposite of primo Preacher artwork?

If the question is "who is undervalued today ?", well I agree with those who say : if it's not worth more, there are reasons the market knows (even if we sometimes don't know them); so nobody is undervalued today.

But if the question is "Who might gain value in the future ?", I believe the runs that are both popular and fans favorite have a good chance 20 years later, or even better : 30 years later, imho the ultimate sweet spot.

But if you're going to hang on to a piece of art for 3 decades, it's better not to expect anything financial from it and just find pleasure in looking at it every day.

One could argue you just have to buy what was popular 20 years ago, so you only have 10 years to wait for. Still that's a long time to have your money stuck with no guarantee of return, if you don't enjoy the piece ;-)

Everything else :blush:

Everything else :blush:

I've seen you post this sort of comment occasionally over the years. Is it really true? I'm neither a Preacher fan nor collector (simply never read it) so I just don't know. Did buy what you like when it's cheap 'n available actually burn you as most everything else went up?

Did buy what you like when it's cheap 'n available actually burn you as most everything else went up?

I can't speak to others, but, yes, it burned me. Kind of like what Bronty said ("I buy very little mainstream art because I am generally unhappy with what I get for what I pay. So I buy certain illo art that I think is undervalued and when I buy comic art at all it's usually art from 80s independents because those are often cheaper yet I like them as much or more as anything from the big two/ three"), I applied that approach very early on in my collecting career. I'm a big fan of Warren art, particularly Vampirella, and I bought up a lot of it in my first few years of collecting instead of buying the mainstream Marvel art that I also love. My collecting dollar went much further with Warren art, of course, and, frankly, at the time, it seemed like Byrne X-Men pages were ubiquitous and would continue to be priced within reach and available when I decided to turn my attention there!

While some of the Warren art I bought has appreciated in value, all of it has lagged mainstream superhero art by a wide margin. Had I put my dollars into mainstream superhero art then, and focused on Warren art now, I'd have gotten so much more art for my money. Obviously, that's more opportunity cost than outright loss, but, given your economically analytical inclinations, I'm sure you recognize that this qualifies as getting burned. Kind of like earning a nominal return that does not come anywhere close to earning a positive return after inflation (where inflation in this case being the appreciation on mainstream art).

And, it's not like we can't point to other art that has probably done even worse - there's countless Modern pages out there that people may have bought because they liked, but for which there is simply "No Bid" for nowadays. I remember being at the Baltimore Comic-Con with a friend some years ago where he bought a page or two from the Ultimate Daredevil & Elektra series. Trust me when I say that nobody else will ever want the pages he bought (nothing pages that had some shots of his alma mater, Columbia University). Not that he spent big bucks, but, trust me when I say those pages are worthless - and there are countless other pages out there like those. I have another friend who buys a lot of GGA, but for which there is an extremely limited market. He's certainly not fared very well from a financial perspective with that art.

I'm not saying don't buy what you like, or follow the crowd even if you don't like it. Not at all. I still buy art that I'm sure few others care about if it really strikes a nostalgic or other chord with me. But, if you're living hand-to-mouth like my GGA collecting friend and are counting on some kind of financial return on your collecting pursuits, you may want to take more into consideration than just "buy what you like, even when it's cheap and available". Things can be Cheap/Available For A Reason and opportunity costs are very real as well. 2c