• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Need some advice regarding consigning to the 3 auction houses

27 posts in this topic

It's unfortunate that both CL and CC have failed to realize what a powerful marketing tool the Auction Archives at HA are. It's a level of transparency that has a profound effect on bidder confidence. Still, the 20% buyer's premium is quite a barrier to overcome when a prospective consignor begins to analyze their projected "bottom line". GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

What auction house is CC?

ComicConnect, the consignment & auction house arm of Metropolis Comics. (thumbs u

Note: If you're consigning books, their reduced fee structure (w/o a heavy Buyer's Premium) and delayed final hammer is bound to have appeal. IMO, each of the three BIG comic auctions have unique pluses and minuses.

I'm a firm believer that with competition there's always room to improve existing systems. :sumo:

You may well be right about this but I'm not sure. I know as a bidder there are times when several books I'm interested in are closing about the same time it can become a chore to keep track of where books are in the ending process. And sometimes while distracted by prolonged delays on one book, I've missed bidding on another book that was scheduled to close 20 to 30 minutes later.

Certainly the delayed hammer keeps a book from going cheap to a sniper as can happen on CLink (although not that often on books I'm going for!), but as a bidder I much prefer the CLink and HA systems where each book definitively ends before the book slotted after it.

Edited to add the main point: So there have been times when I would have at least bid up books on CC but didn't because of the way they end their auctions.

I know as a bidder there are times when several books I'm interested in are closing about the same time it can become a chore to keep track of where books are in the ending process. And sometimes while distracted by prolonged delays on one book, I've missed bidding on another book that was scheduled to close 20 to 30 minutes later.

I usually just bid on the mycomicshop auctions, who also have delayed closings; any bid placed within 3 minutes automatically extends the final hammer for another 3 minutes, so I'll bid just before the 3 minute mark, which won't cause a time extension, and sometimes works if nobody else places a bid.

But multiple auction endings are why God created "windows"; I simply have successive auctions ending around the same time each in a different window, arranged from soonest to latest.

Go with CL straight ten percent fee :)

The phrase "penny wise but pound foolish" comes to mind when I hear this.

For example, the CGC 9.4 Fantastic 1 couldn't sell at $15K on CL, and then sold $24K on Heritage last week. Would you have been better off paying 10% on $15K at CL or 29.5% (assuming you're paying full boat, which no one does) on $24K at Heritage?

Also, Heritage does a great job of marketing and reaching out to an international audience. Comiclink? It blocks bidders from Asia from its website. So several billion potential customers, gone.

We have many Asian clients as active bidders, although at times Tim has not been able to access ComicLink from his location, which is why he is saying this -- but it is inaccurate as a sweeping general statement. Moreover, we have not been contacted by any other client in Asia about site unavailability that we were not able to resolve. And the Fantastic 1 was never listed in a ComicLink auction but on the Exchange. At times, items sell for more in a ComicLink auction then they were listed for on the Exchange due to the increased exposure and sense of urgency the bidders have during an auction. That may have been the case here, and it been placed in a ComicLink auction The reverse is also true, that items can sell for more on the Exchange then at auction.

Moreover, we have not been contacted by any other client in Asia about site unavailability that we were not able to resolve.

So it`s just me that you`re unwilling to help? Thanks Josh! (thumbs u

Tim-

There is no personal bias on this end against you. The last time you contacted me about having a connectivity issue was in January of 2011. At that time, you were presented with one possible solution. At the time you thanked me for the information but I don't recall you ever getting back to me to let me know that it didn't work.

How and where are you viewing ComicLink now? On the one hand, you post that you cannot view ComicLink, and more generally, you state that ComicLink is blocking all customers from Asia which is not true. On the other hand you are referencing an item that was posted on ComicLink, which would imply that you viewed the item on ComicLink.

And the Fantastic 1 was never listed in a ComicLink auction but on the Exchange. At times, items sell for more in a ComicLink auction then they were listed for on the Exchange due to the increased exposure and sense of urgency the bidders have during an auction. That may have been the case here, and it been placed in a ComicLink auction The reverse is also true, that items can sell for more on the Exchange then at auction.

I think the exposure the Fantastic #1 had at SDCC really helped the bidding. I know that Heritage showcases its current auction every year in San Diego, but this book is a STRONG 9.4, and the colors really do pop in-hand. You just don't get that from a scan.