• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

x-men 101 no barcode and asm 50 no barcode

19 posts in this topic

Not especially. Around the time of this release, the distribution between Direct & Newsstand was probably close to 50/50-ish. Maybe a little more weighted still towards the Newsstand market but not significantly.

Newsstand might be harder to find in high grade than Direct tho, but that's just a guess.

did they even do the direct edition with spidy in the corner in 1976?

No. Looking at MileHighComics.com (because he's separating direct edition and newsstand editions), X-Men #122 is about where direct editions started for that title (slash through the barcode). The first X-Men issue with a Spidey-head in the corner is #131.

Not especially. Around the time of this release, the distribution between Direct & Newsstand was probably close to 50/50-ish. Maybe a little more weighted still towards the Newsstand market but not significantly.

Newsstand might be harder to find in high grade than Direct tho, but that's just a guess.

My experience is that it is vastly weighted more toward newstand for that year, which was early in the direct market stage. not many comic shops in 1977. perusing ebay shows how many more newstand copies there are of books from this timeframe in general.

with that said, i do not know if there was a direct version for this x-men. i don't see a single copy of that one on ebay either, which makes me think there is something funky going on.

As for condition, yes, what was sold at comic shops to collectors has probably been kept in better condition than the average newstand copy.

I wasn't actually comparing year-to-year or anything. I just wouldn't say that direct would be appreciably more or less easy to find. But I might be wrong. I didn't even bother to check release year. I just knew it was somewhere in the vicinity of 1980 +/- a few years & around that time, you'd probably end up with about a fairly even split between newsstand & direct.

But you're probably right. Newsstand is probably easier to find overall in 1976/1977ish.

oh yes, by 1979/1980 it is probably much easier to find direct versions or it is 50/50 and the direct ones are going to be in better shape, particularly issues that might have been hoarded