• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Amazing Spider-Man 667 1:100 Dell'Otto Variant

916 posts in this topic

This thread exhibits the clusterf@ck that emerges when multiple already over-sized egos collide and form a black hole sized GARGANTUAM mega-ego

+1

There's some truth to that.

But I think you also have a certain contingent of "old school" collectors who hate and resent the modern (variant) market for whatever reason,

I love the variant market. As it's imploded and gotten cheaper, more people can buy them and enjoy them for the reasons they should - the art. What I hate are people who try to falsely misinterpret the value of them to make money off of the uneducated.

and who knew very little (or more likely, nothing) about the 667 until I started this thread.

Really it has nothing to do with what book it is - just the misinformation you continue to spout - despite reliable sources telling you otherwise,

Telling people that Marvel prints exactly to the order on RI variants is a LIE and one you tell to try and fluff the market, as an example.

So you're getting a few know-it-all boardies who are trying (poorly in most cases) to explain the inexplicable- ie, why is it so rare? And that's where the speculation begins.

That's not what anyone disagreeing with you was trying to explain at all. They took issue with YOUR reasons for trying to say it was rare. That's funny how.... you don't.... Hmmm....

Surely there must be copies in a warehouse somewhere? Or hoarded in collections ? Or hidden in 5 packs? Or in an old barn ? Or on the moon? Surely, right ?

No. Though those have been things that have happened to many other 'rare' books in the past that were, over time, exposed as not being so rare. The point was, it's too early to know for sure.

Right??

No. I just said no.

I personally happen to believe the most obvious (and likely) explanation.... there just weren't that many printed.

-J.

And anyone is free to believe that. To promote it as fact is disingenuous, and you've been called out on it.

The people debating you on this are even saying WE DON'T know for sure, because WE DON'T.

NO ONE knows for sure.

But you promoting it as fact, to fluff he market is always going to be challenged, not because anyone necessarily hates moderns or variants or whatever - they just can't stand the Baseball Card Dealer Mentality of some of the people on these boards.

This thread exhibits the clusterf@ck that emerges when multiple already over-sized egos collide and form a black hole sized GARGANTUAM mega-ego

You're so toxic, boorish and just simply unpalatable.

Lolasaurusrex

Gesundheit

Chuck, for the record, I have not "spouted" one iota of "misinformation" in this thread. That is simply the myopic filter that you are choosing to view my enthusiasm about a demonstrably rare book by any and all verifiable metrics that I am lucky enough to own.

I won't even refer to the sort of irrelevant and baseless speculation that you and your ilk have been posting as "misinformation" in your futile attempts to explain the inexplicable- ie, why is the book so insanely rare because your guess (and that's all it is) is just as good as anyone else's.

You don't know and I don't know the real reason, though the most likely one is, once again, there just weren't that many printed. But if you want to believe that ghosts are hiding them all inside of mirrors, or some other such far fetched nonsense, more power to you.

But the fact of its rarity is incontrovertible, irrespective of your notions of the cause.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and theories though. Entertaining stuff. :applause:

-J.

Lolasaurusrex

Gesundheit

Chuck, for the record, I have not "spouted" one iota of "misinformation" in this thread. That is simply the myopic filter that you are choosing to view my enthusiasm about a demonstrably rare book by any and all verifiable metrics that I am lucky enough to own.

I won't even refer to the sort of irrelevant and baseless speculation that you and your ilk have been posting as "misinformation" in your futile attempts to explain the inexplicable- ie, why is the book so insanely rare because your guess (and that's all it is) is just as good as anyone else's.

You don't know and I don't know the real reason, though the most likely one is, once again, there just weren't that many printed. But if you want to believe that ghosts are hiding them all inside of mirrors, or some other such far fetched nonsense, more power to you.

But the fact of its rarity is incontrovertible, irrespective of your notions of the cause.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and theories though. Entertaining stuff. :applause:

-J.

Care to elaborate on which posts represent misinformation, and why they are, and explain how your speculation is somehow better that their speculation?

Lolasaurusrex

Gesundheit

-J.

The most likely scenario is that not many were distributed. (thumbs u

Lolasaurusrex

Gesundheit

-J.

And ghosts are hiding the rest behind mirrors. lol

-J.

Lolasaurusrex

Gesundheit

-J.

And ghosts are hiding the rest behind mirrors. lol

-J.

Whatever makes you sleep at night, dude. Pimpin' ain't easy.

Until about page 5 this thread was about spider-man 667.......'when' the thread derailed is always the most interesting part.

Ain't it the truth.

And I don't think even the threadkrapping offenders know what their point is anymore.

Guys, seriously. Get a life.

Marvel "sells off RI variants 'all the time'"?

No, they don't. That is a moronic exaggeration. What boardie dug up only two examples of that being done with worthless variants twice in 15 years, give or take? Mschmidt. What was his quoted source ? The unflappable website, bleedingcoolnews. lol

They actually do.

Which has been corroborated by multiple sources in multiple threads across this board. When you refused to believe this fact & asked for evidence, a quick google search showed several articles that documents this practice.

Your response? Pretend that those articles are bogus and, of course, tell people to get a life (again).

And all this from a guy who doesn't have a diamond account, has repeatedly shown he has no clue about how the comic book market functions and, in general, seems to be spectacularly misinformed on pretty much every subject in which he tries to become involved.

Pathetic :doh:

What we know so far. hm

A raw copy of one of these was just listed for auction last night on ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/262029141076?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

It's the first one offered for sale on its own, in any condition, in nearly a year, and I thought now would be a good time to start an appreciation thread/club for the owners, future owners, and admirers of this book.

First, here's my copy:

:cloud9:

ASM667new_zps77fbcd8b.jpg

I bought this raw shortly after it came out from an LCS in Newfoundland. That's right- Canada. That was the only place I could find one in any kind of decent condition, and was thrilled it came back a 9.8.

To date there are only 19 slabbed copies of this. Considering that this book has sold for several hundreds of dollars since Day One, and $1,000+ in a 9.8 in mid 2013 (the last time a 9.8 sold publicly), and what It goes for raw, this is a surprisingly small number.

Unlike many other high dollar/low print run cover variants, this was not a store exclusive, it was not handed out at conventions or dealer "summits", and there was no sketch, partial sketch, or any alternate version of the artwork on it produced and released on another cover. As far as I know, the only other way to get any other version of this cover in any form is via the Italian reprint (which I also own :cloud9: ).

For the un-initiated, the cover was released with little fanfare as a 1:100 (which would already put it out of reach for most small to mid-sized shops), and on the heels of the massive ASM 666 event, which itself generated nearly 150 variants.

Needless to say, I'm a big fan of the cover, always have been from the beginning.

Anyone else out there have one, please feel free to post it here, raw or slabbed, in any condition. And if anyone has any leads on one or spots one in the wild that would be interesting to hear about as well. (thumbs u

-J.

Until about page 5 this thread was about spider-man 667.......'when' the thread derailed is always the most interesting part.

Ain't it the truth.

And I don't think even the threadkrapping offenders know what their point is anymore.

No, they don't. That is a moronic exaggeration. What boardie dug up only two examples of that being done with worthless variants twice in 15 years, give or take? Mschmidt. What was his quoted source ? The unflappable website, bleedingcoolnews. lol

They actually do.

Which has been corroborated by multiple sources in multiple threads across this board. When you refused to believe this fact & asked for evidence, a quick google search showed several articles that documents this practice.

Your response? Pretend that those articles are bogus and, of course, tell people to get a life (again).

And all this from a guy who doesn't have a diamond account, has repeatedly shown he has no clue about how the comic book market functions and, in general, seems to be spectacularly misinformed on pretty much every subject in which he tries to become involved.

Seriously dude, you're just trolling. You don't know anything about me, what I have, or what I know and you certainly don't know anything about this book.

So why don't you go back under whatever bridge you decided to randomly pop out of to offer absolutely nothing insightful or productive to the conversation.

Pathetic, indeed.

-J.

Ain't it the truth.

They actually do.

Seriously dude, you're just trolling. You don't know anything about me, what I have, or what I know and you certainly don't know anything about this book.

So why don't you go back under whatever bridge you decided to randomly pop out of to offer absolutely nothing insightful or productive to the conversation.

Pathetic, indeed.

-J.

This is uncalled for. I undertsand taking offence to the final word but the remainder of the post is factual.

What we know so far. hm

A raw copy of one of these was just listed for auction last night on ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/262029141076?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

It's the first one offered for sale on its own, in any condition, in nearly a year, and I thought now would be a good time to start an appreciation thread/club for the owners, future owners, and admirers of this book.

First, here's my copy:

:cloud9:

ASM667new_zps77fbcd8b.jpg

I bought this raw shortly after it came out from an LCS in Newfoundland. That's right- Canada. That was the only place I could find one in any kind of decent condition, and was thrilled it came back a 9.8.

To date there are only 19 slabbed copies of this. Considering that this book has sold for several hundreds of dollars since Day One, and $1,000+ in a 9.8 in mid 2013 (the last time a 9.8 sold publicly), and what It goes for raw, this is a surprisingly small number.

Unlike many other high dollar/low print run cover variants, this was not a store exclusive, it was not handed out at conventions or dealer "summits", and there was no sketch, partial sketch, or any alternate version of the artwork on it produced and released on another cover. As far as I know, the only other way to get any other version of this cover in any form is via the Italian reprint (which I also own :cloud9: ).

For the un-initiated, the cover was released with little fanfare as a 1:100 (which would already put it out of reach for most small to mid-sized shops), and on the heels of the massive ASM 666 event, which itself generated nearly 150 four variants.

Needless to say, I'm a big fan of the cover, always have been from the beginning.

Anyone else out there have one, please feel free to post it here, raw or slabbed, in any condition. And if anyone has any leads on one or spots one in the wild that would be interesting to hear about as well. (thumbs u

-J.

There, at least we can fix the misinformation about the variants for #666. I doubt anyone is chasing the individual store versions of the one variant cover.