• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Amazing Spider-Man 667 1:100 Dell'Otto Variant

916 posts in this topic

Until about page 5 this thread was about spider-man 667.......'when' the thread derailed is always the most interesting part.

Ain't it the truth.

And I don't think even the threadkrapping offenders know what their point is anymore.

Guys, seriously. Get a life.

Marvel "sells off RI variants 'all the time'"?

No, they don't. That is a moronic exaggeration. What boardie dug up only two examples of that being done with worthless variants twice in 15 years, give or take? Mschmidt. What was his quoted source ? The unflappable website, bleedingcoolnews. lol

They actually do.

Which has been corroborated by multiple sources in multiple threads across this board. When you refused to believe this fact & asked for evidence, a quick google search showed several articles that documents this practice.

Your response? Pretend that those articles are bogus and, of course, tell people to get a life (again).

And all this from a guy who doesn't have a diamond account, has repeatedly shown he has no clue about how the comic book market functions and, in general, seems to be spectacularly misinformed on pretty much every subject in which he tries to become involved.

Pathetic :doh:

Seriously dude, you're just trolling. You don't know anything about me, what I have, or what I know and you certainly don't know anything about this book.

So why don't you go back under whatever bridge you decided to randomly pop out of to offer absolutely nothing insightful or productive to the conversation.

Pathetic, indeed.

-J.

You mentioned him when trying to discredit a simple fact that you have great difficulty accepting for some reason, no matter the number or credibility of sources.

I guess he doesn't know anything about the Sandman 8 variant, either. Certainly not enough to know (like you do) that there are very few copies (how many, now?) remaining from the original print run.

The school of thought is that many of those stores still had plenty of 666 inventory sitting on their shelves when marvel began hawking the 667

OMG, you've just been trolling everybody this entire time, haven't you? Nobody could actually be this stupid.

As already noted, even the FOC date came before 666 hit the stands.

The fact that you would even repeat this, even if you weren't the *cough* genius who thought it up...

The school of thought is that many of those stores still had plenty of 666 inventory sitting on their shelves when marvel began hawking the 667

OMG, you've just been trolling everybody this entire time, haven't you? Nobody could actually be this stupid.

The fact that you would even repeat this, even if you weren't the *cough* genius who thought it up...

Yes I've been trolling the thread that I started.

You know, the one that no one is forcing you to read or post in. :eyeroll:

And I didn't respond to that point because it is actually moot and does not affect the analysis.

Regardless of "when" the 666 was released relative to the 667, it was still heavily over ordered by nearly 150 shops in order to qualify for that event, well ahead of the official notification for the dell'otto.

And again, ultimately irrelevant to the discussion of this book. Though that has been (and remains) the best explanation for the subsequent severe shortage of the 667.

If you have any additional new information to contribute please feel free to post it. Otherwise, thank you for sharing your thoughts and opinions.

-J.

PS: Yes, ASM was published twice a month back then.

Is this threads goal nerd ufc, or asm variant pumping. Struggling to follow.

Side note, slabbing books is arbitrary, so while people can make interesting observations about said behaviour, it can't ever 'prove' anything about underlying print runs. A derivative can't dictate the underlying value

I am not sure I 100% follow. I agree that slabbing data alone is not substantial enough to create a conclusion about the total number of books, but I do believe that in today's comic market (i.e. one that is primarily about resale value) it is pertinent data.

So when a modern variant (i.e. a book that over-indexes in resale and therefore should also in slabbing) has so few submissions to the largest and most widely recognized/renowned company (CGC for anyone who is just joining us ;) ), it does create an interesting conundrum.

I bolded the relevant part to your comments

And I've bolded the relevant part of his post that related back to yours. (shrug) He never said it proved anything, just raised an interesting question.

Which I had already said in my bolded part.....

So if he was essentially agreeing with you, why make a stink about it? (shrug)

I didn't lol and I bolded what I said cause he appeared to miss it

I didn't miss it, but that isn't a big deal as stated I was agreeing with you for the most part.

What I didn't state before because I didn't want to stir the pot was going to be something similar to this:

My 2c is that I don't believe slabbing behavior is as arbitrary as your statement would allude to. Particularly because of the nature of how this specific book doesn't fit the "norm" of all the surrounding issues. From both a sociological and psychological perspective human behavior is sickeningly predictable when you are talking about a group or segment of the population. For group behavior to be consistent, then stop and resume around a single issue would indicate a break in pattern worth noting.

To your point, this data alone does not "prove" anything. However, it is enough of a difference to warrant additional scrutiny and potentially search for cause. Maybe it is a fluke, but given the available information so far (both sales data and slabbing data confer a similar story), I would not take it at face value and research the situation more thoroughly. Now after reviewing the numerous posts on the subject from both sides (and ignoring the posturing, soapboxing, and personal attacks) my honest opinion would be that neither side has conclusively proven JayDog to be correct or incorrect. At this point I would call "Schrödinger's Cat" on the whole situation and move on for now.

Of course what really needs to happen is more thorough research, but someone would only do this if they had a vested interest in this issue, which I don't.

So :foryou:

All of that is obvious and well covered already. I don't think anyone said what people believe is without reasons, or completely unfounded. That still doesn't change the simple and unavoidable facts:

Correlation is not causation

No "proof" has occurred

So, back to my original comment :). This thread is just nerd UFC

And I didn't respond to that point because it is actually moot and does not affect the analysis.

Regardless of "when" the 666 was released relative to the 667, it was still heavily over ordered by nearly 150 shops in order to qualify for that event, well ahead of the official notification for the dell'otto.

And again, ultimately irrelevant to the discussion of this book. Though that has been (and remains) the best explanation for the subsequent severe shortage of the 667.

If you have any additional new information to contribute please feel free to post it. Otherwise, thank you for sharing your thoughts and opinions.

-J.

This is not true. (thumbs u

Side note, slabbing books is arbitrary, so while people can make interesting observations about said behaviour, it can't ever 'prove' anything about underlying print runs. A derivative can't dictate the underlying value

I am not sure I 100% follow. I agree that slabbing data alone is not substantial enough to create a conclusion about the total number of books, but I do believe that in today's comic market (i.e. one that is primarily about resale value) it is pertinent data.

So when a modern variant (i.e. a book that over-indexes in resale and therefore should also in slabbing) has so few submissions to the largest and most widely recognized/renowned company (CGC for anyone who is just joining us ;) ), it does create an interesting conundrum.

And I've bolded the relevant part of his post that related back to yours. (shrug) He never said it proved anything, just raised an interesting question.

I didn't miss it, but that isn't a big deal as stated I was agreeing with you for the most part.

What I didn't state before because I didn't want to stir the pot was going to be something similar to this:

My 2c is that I don't believe slabbing behavior is as arbitrary as your statement would allude to. Particularly because of the nature of how this specific book doesn't fit the "norm" of all the surrounding issues. From both a sociological and psychological perspective human behavior is sickeningly predictable when you are talking about a group or segment of the population. For group behavior to be consistent, then stop and resume around a single issue would indicate a break in pattern worth noting.

To your point, this data alone does not "prove" anything. However, it is enough of a difference to warrant additional scrutiny and potentially search for cause. Maybe it is a fluke, but given the available information so far (both sales data and slabbing data confer a similar story), I would not take it at face value and research the situation more thoroughly. Now after reviewing the numerous posts on the subject from both sides (and ignoring the posturing, soapboxing, and personal attacks) my honest opinion would be that neither side has conclusively proven JayDog to be correct or incorrect. At this point I would call "Schrödinger's Cat" on the whole situation and move on for now.

Of course what really needs to happen is more thorough research, but someone would only do this if they had a vested interest in this issue, which I don't.

All of that is obvious and well covered already. I don't think anyone said what people believe is without reasons, or completely unfounded. That still doesn't change the simple and unavoidable facts:

No "proof" has occurred

I am not sure what your motivation is here. If I post a comment that agrees with you or attempts to summarize the situation in an effort to help bring the discussion to a close - why do you feel the need to have a negative response?

Are you just trying to rile people back into an argument?

Do you feel you need the last word to be "right?"

Your last post too could be considered repetitive - "obvious and well-covered." Honestly, I don't know what you are trying to do, but it is anything but productive.

Cripes, have a good week.

No "proof" has occurred

I am not sure what your motivation is here. If I post a comment that agrees with you or attempts to summarize the situation in an effort to help bring the discussion to a close - why do you feel the need to have a negative response?

Are you just trying to rile people back into an argument?

Do you feel you need the last word to be "right?"

Your last post too could be considered repetitive - "obvious and well-covered." Honestly, I don't know what you are trying to do, but it is anything but productive.

Cripes, have a good week.

I wouldn't spend any time thinking about it. (thumbs u

Have a good week!

-J.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and opinions. (thumbs u

-J.

-J.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and opinions another fact. (thumbs u

-J.

Anytime :)

-J.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and opinions another irrelevant "fact". (thumbs u

-J.

FTFY again.

Feel free to share any productive new relevant information about this book should you actually come across any. (thumbs u

-J.

-J.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and opinions another irrelevant "fact". (thumbs u

-J.

FTFY again.

Feel free to share any productive new relevant information about this book should you actually come across any. (thumbs u

-J.

So you admit that your "generally accepted theory" is irrelevant. Good to know. (thumbs u

-J.

-J.

FTFY again.

-J.

So you admit that your "generally accepted theory" is irrelevant. Good to know. (thumbs u

I'm going to let you have the last word for now because, even though you have never had any direct dealing with this book, do not own it, do not care about it, likely had very little if any prior knowledge of it, and have never even seen a copy of it in person, I know you will not stop trolling this thread unless you do.

So go ahead and have at it and then please- PLEASE- do the best you can to refrain from derailing the thread in the future.

Thanks a bunch. :foryou:

-J.