• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Amazing Spider-Man 667 1:100 Dell'Otto Variant

916 posts in this topic

At Baltimore last month at the Retailer Summit, one of the order forms they gave us was for open orders on the Gwen variant covers. You know... about 18 retailer incentive covers that you had to exceed a certain number to be able to order.

Obviously they had plenty left over.

What we know so far. hm

A raw copy of one of these was just listed for auction last night on ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/262029141076?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

It's the first one offered for sale on its own, in any condition, in nearly a year, and I thought now would be a good time to start an appreciation thread/club for the owners, future owners, and admirers of this book.

First, here's my copy:

:cloud9:

ASM667new_zps77fbcd8b.jpg

I bought this raw shortly after it came out from an LCS in Newfoundland. That's right- Canada. That was the only place I could find one in any kind of decent condition, and was thrilled it came back a 9.8.

To date there are only 19 slabbed copies of this. Considering that this book has sold for several hundreds of dollars since Day One, and $1,000+ in a 9.8 in mid 2013 (the last time a 9.8 sold publicly), and what It goes for raw, this is a surprisingly small number.

Unlike many other high dollar/low print run cover variants, this was not a store exclusive, it was not handed out at conventions or dealer "summits", and there was no sketch, partial sketch, or any alternate version of the artwork on it produced and released on another cover. As far as I know, the only other way to get any other version of this cover in any form is via the Italian reprint (which I also own :cloud9: ).

For the un-initiated, the cover was released with little fanfare as a 1:100 (which would already put it out of reach for most small to mid-sized shops), and on the heels of the massive ASM 666 event, which itself generated nearly 150 four variants.

Needless to say, I'm a big fan of the cover, always have been from the beginning.

Anyone else out there have one, please feel free to post it here, raw or slabbed, in any condition. And if anyone has any leads on one or spots one in the wild that would be interesting to hear about as well. (thumbs u

-J.

There, at least we can fix the misinformation about the variants for #666. I doubt anyone is chasing the individual store versions of the one variant cover.

That wasn't "misinformation" and you'd be surprised what spidey collectors chase (hence the sky-high values on the 667):

http://www.spidermanfan.com/2011/10/amazing-spider-man-666-full-set-in-hand.html?m=1

The link also goes a long way to explaining why so few retailers ordered enough of the 667 to qualify for the dell'otto variant.

-J.

What we know so far. hm

http://www.ebay.com/itm/262029141076?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

It's the first one offered for sale on its own, in any condition, in nearly a year, and I thought now would be a good time to start an appreciation thread/club for the owners, future owners, and admirers of this book.

First, here's my copy:

I bought this raw shortly after it came out from an LCS in Newfoundland. That's right- Canada. That was the only place I could find one in any kind of decent condition, and was thrilled it came back a 9.8.

To date there are only 19 slabbed copies of this. Considering that this book has sold for several hundreds of dollars since Day One, and $1,000+ in a 9.8 in mid 2013 (the last time a 9.8 sold publicly), and what It goes for raw, this is a surprisingly small number.

Unlike many other high dollar/low print run cover variants, this was not a store exclusive, it was not handed out at conventions or dealer "summits", and there was no sketch, partial sketch, or any alternate version of the artwork on it produced and released on another cover. As far as I know, the only other way to get any other version of this cover in any form is via the Italian reprint (which I also own :cloud9: ).

For the un-initiated, the cover was released with little fanfare as a 1:100 (which would already put it out of reach for most small to mid-sized shops), and on the heels of the massive ASM 666 event, which itself generated nearly 150 four variants.

Needless to say, I'm a big fan of the cover, always have been from the beginning.

Anyone else out there have one, please feel free to post it here, raw or slabbed, in any condition. And if anyone has any leads on one or spots one in the wild that would be interesting to hear about as well. (thumbs u

-J.

There, at least we can fix the misinformation about the variants for #666. I doubt anyone is chasing the individual store versions of the one variant cover.

That wasn't "misinformation" and you'd be surprised what spidey collectors chase (hence the sky-high values on the 667):

http://www.spidermanfan.com/2011/10/amazing-spider-man-666-full-set-in-hand.html?m=1

The link also goes a long way to explaining why so few retailers ordered enough of the 667 to qualify for the dell'otto variant.

-J.

Not really. Why would there be any fewer of the #667 1:100 than there would be for any of the other ASM 1:100 variants? The #666 variants would have had no disproportionate effect on any of the stores participating, because they wouldn't be ordering any of the other store's versions. So as far as any one store was concerned there were four variants, not 150. So I'm still not clear on why the pattern of orders for #667 would have been any different than it was for #665 or #668 or any other books nearby in the run, even if we concede that #666 had an unusual order (which I'm not yet convinced of).

What we know so far. hm

First, here's my copy:

-J.

-J.

Not really. Why would there be any fewer of the #667 1:100 than there would be for any of the other ASM 1:100 variants? The #666 variants would have had no disproportionate effect on any of the stores participating, because they wouldn't be ordering any of the other store's versions. So as far as any one store was concerned there were four variants, not 150. So I'm still not clear on why the pattern of orders for #667 would have been any different than it was for #665 or #668 or any other books nearby in the run, even if we concede that #666 had an unusual order (which I'm not yet convinced of).

Because to qualify for the custom variant initiative, shops had to order at least 500 copies of the regular 666 cover. Nearly 150 shops did this.

The school of thought is that many of those stores still had plenty of 666 inventory sitting on their shelves when marvel began hawking the 667, trying to entice shops to order yet another 100 copies of an issue just to get one variant that didn't even look all that hot in the promotional materials (though it did in fact turn out to be a stunner by the time it got to press).

Burned out on the 666 event, many stores passed. While certainly plenty of stores ordered plenty of copies, the numbers of the dell'otto's extant would certainly seem to suggest that not many stores ordered enough batches of 100+ to get a copy.

This remains the best (and most generally accepted) theory that I have seen to date.

-J.

What we know so far. hm

First, here's my copy:

-J.

-J.

Because to qualify for the custom variant initiative, shops had to order at least 500 copies of the regular 666 cover. Nearly 150 shops did this.

The school of thought is that many of those stores still had plenty of 666 inventory sitting on their shelves when marvel began hawking the 667, trying to entice shops to order yet another 100 copies of an issue just to get one variant that didn't even look all that hot in the promotional materials (though it did in fact turn out to be a stunner by the time it got to press).

Burned out on the 666 event, many stores passed. While certainly plenty of stores ordered plenty of copies, the numbers of the dell'otto's extant would certainly seem to suggest that not many stores ordered enough batches of 100+ to get a copy.

This remains the best (and most generally accepted) theory that I have seen to date.

-J.

That explains it relative to #666, so thanks for that as I hadn't heard that previously. But I'm still left to wonder why it wouldn't have been ordered as strongly as previous issues of the title, and thus wouldn't have the same number of 1:100 in circulation as other issues. Shops still had to provide #667s to their customers even if they had stacks of #666 lying around.

What we know so far. hm

First, here's my copy:

-J.

-J.

-J.

That explains it relative to #666, so thanks for that as I hadn't heard that previously. But I'm still left to wonder why it wouldn't have been ordered as strongly as previous issues of the title, and thus wouldn't have the same number of 1:100 in circulation as other issues. Shops still had to provide #667s to their customers even if they had stacks of #666 lying around.

You're welcome. I honestly couldn't answer the other question with any certainty though. But I do know that by the time the 667 was released marvel hadn't done any 1:100s for quite some time.

I just think many retailers felt like marvel was hustling them a little to try to goose what were actually sluggish sales of ASM during that time period with that 666 event and then 1:100 dell'otto the very next month, and declined to take the bait by doing another potential over order just to get a copy.

In a sense it really was the equivalent of a lightning strike- a combination of a few different not likely to be repeated events- that resulted in whatever is going on with this book. And whatever that is, it really has been observed (on other chat boards) since the book first dropped. There were complaints of extraordinary scarcity just three weeks after it first came out.

-J.

Until about page 5 this thread was about spider-man 667.......'when' the thread derailed is always the most interesting part.

Ain't it the truth.

And I don't think even the threadkrapping offenders know what their point is anymore.

Guys, seriously. Get a life.

Marvel "sells off RI variants 'all the time'"?

No, they don't. That is a moronic exaggeration. What boardie dug up only two examples of that being done with worthless variants twice in 15 years, give or take? Mschmidt. What was his quoted source ? The unflappable website, bleedingcoolnews. lol

They actually do.

Which has been corroborated by multiple sources in multiple threads across this board. When you refused to believe this fact & asked for evidence, a quick google search showed several articles that documents this practice.

Your response? Pretend that those articles are bogus and, of course, tell people to get a life (again).

And all this from a guy who doesn't have a diamond account, has repeatedly shown he has no clue about how the comic book market functions and, in general, seems to be spectacularly misinformed on pretty much every subject in which he tries to become involved.

Pathetic :doh:

Seriously dude, you're just trolling. You don't know anything about me, what I have, or what I know and you certainly don't know anything about this book.

So why don't you go back under whatever bridge you decided to randomly pop out of to offer absolutely nothing insightful or productive to the conversation.

Pathetic, indeed.

-J.

J,

We don't need to take a Poll to determine whether you or Michael contributes more to these boards. He does, and you don't. Now stop being disrespectful, and mind your manners. :makepoint:

Until about page 5 this thread was about spider-man 667.......'when' the thread derailed is always the most interesting part.

Ain't it the truth.

And I don't think even the threadkrapping offenders know what their point is anymore.

Guys, seriously. Get a life.

Marvel "sells off RI variants 'all the time'"?

No, they don't. That is a moronic exaggeration. What boardie dug up only two examples of that being done with worthless variants twice in 15 years, give or take? Mschmidt. What was his quoted source ? The unflappable website, bleedingcoolnews. lol

They actually do.

Which has been corroborated by multiple sources in multiple threads across this board. When you refused to believe this fact & asked for evidence, a quick google search showed several articles that documents this practice.

Your response? Pretend that those articles are bogus and, of course, tell people to get a life (again).

And all this from a guy who doesn't have a diamond account, has repeatedly shown he has no clue about how the comic book market functions and, in general, seems to be spectacularly misinformed on pretty much every subject in which he tries to become involved.

Pathetic :doh:

Seriously dude, you're just trolling. You don't know anything about me, what I have, or what I know and you certainly don't know anything about this book.

So why don't you go back under whatever bridge you decided to randomly pop out of to offer absolutely nothing insightful or productive to the conversation.

Pathetic, indeed.

-J.

J,

We don't need to take a Poll to determine whether you or Michael contributes more to these boards. He does, and you don't. Now stop being disrespectful, and mind your manners. :makepoint:

Apologies, but respect is a two way street, and I don't do well with bullies.

-J.

Just to clarify, it was stated that the stores needed to order 500 of the regular covers to qualify for the store variant - it was my understanding that the store needed to order at least 500 copies of their store variant in order for Marvel to create and print one for them.

I don't believe the store variants were tied in any way to compel stores to order the regular covers. In fact I'd guess the regular cover to 666 is probably around the average print run for that title around that time.

I don't know the timing for final cut off for 667 and how it would relate to the shelf results of 666 - this was a bi-weekly title - so I'd say if there's fatigue it would be order based not results/sales based if 666 had any impact at all.

:D

Here's some ICV numbers from the period we're discussing if anyone's interested.

I believe the recent 1:100's were the Quesada B&W sketch covers for 638-641 (One Moment in Time storyline) and the last one prior to 667 was the B&W Campbell for 648 was 1:100

All these other 1:100's had lower increment retailer incentive covers. (1:10/25/50) hm - I don't think the FF variant for 667 was tied to incentives and the Mtl Adams cover :sick: is a show book.

Oct11: ASM #671 = 59,426...#25 for the month

Sep11: ASM #670 = 57,599...#27 for the month

Sep11: ASM #669 = 71,944...#18 for the month

Aug11: ASM #668 = 57,533...#09 for the month

Aug11: ASM #667 = 71,235...#06 for the month

Jul11: ASM #666 = 135,568...#01 for the month

Jul11: ASM #665 = 56,948...#16 for the month

Jun11: ASM #664 = 54,808...#10 for the month

Jun11: ASM #663 = 57,040...#07 for the month

May11: ASM #662 = 55,883...#13 for the month

May11: ASM #661 = 59,087...#10 for the month

May11: ASM #660 = 58,249...#11 for the month

Apr11: ASM #659 = 58,258...#15 for the month

Apr11: ASM #658 = 61,687...#10 for the month

Mar11: ASM #657 = 58,704...#17 for the month

Mar11: ASM #656 = 59,626...#15 for the month

Feb11: ASM #655 = 53,366...#14 for the month

Feb11: ASM #654.1 = 55,283...#10 for the month

Feb11: ASM #654 = 53,882...#12 for the month

Feb11: ASM #653 = 53,103...#15 for the month

Jan11: ASM #652 = 52,050...#14 for the month

Jan11: ASM #651 = 56,749...#10 for the month

Dec10: ASM #650 = 55,996...#13 for the month

Nov10: ASM #649 = 52,586...#20 for the month

Nov10: ASM #648 = 77,033...#08 for the month

Nov10: ASM #647 = 55,819...#19 for the month

Oct10: ASM #646 = 58,125...#16 for the month

Oct10: ASM #645 = 56,709...#18 for the month

Sep10: ASM #644 = 58,310...#17 for the month

Sep10: ASM #643 = 61,855...#15 for the month

Sep10: ASM #642 = 60,115...#16 for the month

Sep10: ASM #641 = 68,345...#10 for the month

Aug10: ASM #640 = 73,656...#06 for the month

Aug10: ASM #639 = 67,086...#12 for the month

Jul10: ASM #638 = 68,271...#11 for the month

Here's some ICV numbers from the period we're discussing if anyone's interested.

I believe the recent 1:100's were the Quesada B&W sketch covers for 638-641 (One Moment in Time storyline) and the last one prior to 667 was the B&W Campbell for 648 was 1:100

All these other 1:100's had lower increment retailer incentive covers. (1:10/25/50) hm - I don't think the FF variant for 667 was tied to incentives and the Mtl Adams cover :sick: is a show book.

You are correct, and yes the Campbell sketch #648 was the last 1:100 marvel did for ASM prior to the 667.

Looking at the census on that, there are currently 108 graded copies of it, 69, 9.8's.

A paltry number still to be sure.

Looking at eBay there are currently six raw copies for sale in addition to four or five slabs (one by Voldemort).

Compared to the 667...20 graded copies total, 0 currently available on eBay (and none offered for two months, with only one offered raw all year so far).

These are stats that belie the 70,000 total order number. The import of this is as I stated earlier, which is stores ordered copies of the regular 667 cover but just not enough batches of 100 to get the variant, post the 666 event which did indeed goose ASM numbers, but demand all but evaporated essentially with the very next issue (667) and ASM was back in the 50,000s by 668.

This has been the accepted working theory to explain the sparse numbers of the 667 for as long as I have followed the book, and the most likely IMO.

-J.

Those print numbers don't appear to support the "most generally accepted theory to date"

-J.

Now let's look at the census numbers and availability of the 638-641 sketch covers, which were all 1:100s and had slightly less print numbers than the 667 (3 of them did anyway):

638- 77 total slabs, 54, 9.8; 1, 9.9

639- 44 total slabs, 36, 9.8; 2, 9.9

640- 61 total slabs, 50, 9.8; 3, 9.9

641- 50 total slabs, 42, 9.8

All four books have multiple copies currently available for sale on ebay both raw and slabbed. Again, these are still very small numbers of slabs all things considered, especially the 639, and even it has over double the census number of the 667 and nearly quadruple the amount of graded 9.8's including 2, 9.9's. :o

And keep in mind these books (including the mighty Campbell 648 sketch) sell (and have generally always sold) for small percentages compared to the 667, barely worth the cost of slabbing in a couple instances, and yet look at their census populations compared to the 667.

I don't profess to know exactly what explains this intense disparity, but I definitely suspect shops simply not ordering enough batches of 100 to qualify is not the only explanation.

-J.

Just to clarify, it was stated that the stores needed to order 500 of the regular covers to qualify for the store variant - it was my understanding that the store needed to order at least 500 copies of their store variant in order for Marvel to create and print one for them.

I don't believe the store variants were tied in any way to compel stores to order the regular covers. In fact I'd guess the regular cover to 666 is probably around the average print run for that title around that time.

I don't know the timing for final cut off for 667 and how it would relate to the shelf results of 666 - this was a bi-weekly title - so I'd say if there's fatigue it would be order based not results/sales based if 666 had any impact at all.

ASM #666 was shipped 7/27/2011

ASM #667 FOC was on 7/18/2011

No impact at all, because orders had to be in before 666 came out.

ASM #666 was shipped 7/27/2011

ASM #667 FOC was on 7/18/2011

No impact at all, because orders had to be in before 666 came out.

Not accurate since those shops who participated in the 666 event by over ordering on copies of it (of which there were nearly 150 stores) were clearly less inclined to do so again on the 667 for "just another" 1:100 RI variant.

But that is just speculation, and is not even likely the full story since that still would not explain the ultra scarcity of the book.

-J.

I can't believe Mike was called a bully

Not choosing sides - but he did call Jaydog "pathetic" first.

You can't be all that awesome and insult people to that degree. I know I am not one to talk, but people seriously can't just deny that he directly insulted another person (and from what I can tell in this thread it was unprovoked - at least to him personally). That certainly doesn't make him evil by any stretch (not sure it makes him a bully either), but ignoring what he said isn't a fair assessment of the situation.

Someone was insulted, so they retaliated. Kinda par for the course round here...