• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Letter from a disgruntled buyer: On inflated shipping charges

30 posts in this topic

Gather 'round, suckas

And read my tale

This ebay story

might fill your sails

Am I on my high horse

or will I go to hell?

9CPUPY7.gif

I just wrote this email to a seller that I actually hope to establish a relationship with, but I might have burned a bridge. We'll find out. Names changed to protect the people-i-hope-to-but-more-plasticrack-from-in-the-future."

Thanks, Xandor. I'm trying to understand the shipping costs. It was $32.00 from Somewhere, Florida, to Murfreesboro, Tennessee. When I calculate four pounds from your locale in Somewhere, FL, to my location in Murfreesboro, TN, I get just under $11 USPS Priority shipping if bought online through USPS.com. I also see Zone X on the postage label. Zone shipping can save money, too. How did I pay over $30 in shipping costs? I bought 3 CGC slabs from Canada two days before my purchase with your company, and it cost only $18 and change. That Canadian seller drives the box across the border and ships from a US location, saving my Canadian postal costs. How is it that zone 5 shipping from Somewhere, Florida, costs $12 more than trans-national shipping from Canada for the same amount of slabs?

I was happy to make a purchase with you on ebay for Daredevil slab. In turn, that made me happy to see these Byrne comics in your inventory that I needed for my collection. But suddenly, the shipping costs have ballooned. My apologies for the grousing, but I feel that a shipping refund is in order. The box showed four pounds in weight. I see $10.66 in shipping costs from Somewhere, Florida, to Murfreesboro, Tennessee. As a seller myself, I understand materials costs and time. So how about we call it $13 shipping from you to me, which means a refund of $17 for these fine Fantastic Four slabs that help me complete my Byrne run?

Thanks very much. I hope to do continued business with you as you've helped me fill gaps in my collection. And I certainly appreciate your large boxes and newspaper packing, but if we can make sure that shipping and handling is more representative of the actual cost, I'm sure you'll get more dollars from my wallet.

Cheers,

~David

So you knew the cost before you bid on the item or was it afterwards?

Exactly. It is Friday, after all.

Yes, I knew I was overpaying for shipping, I paid anyway because BOMIX! (and the two obscure issues of my FF Byrne run had been hard to find and I have no patience), and I figured I'd try contacting them afterwards.

So let's do a poll...

Yes, I knew I was overpaying for shipping, I paid anyway because BOMIX! (and the two obscure issues of my FF Byrne run had been hard to find and I have no patience), and I figured I'd try contacting them afterwards.

I would not expect much sympathy.

The time for negotiations was before purchase

But shouldn't they have known that I might not like it. I mean, it is comics, and telepathy and the like shouldn't be new to them.

By the way, I bought some microchamber from your website, and I haven't received notice of it shipping. What's up? :sumo:

But shouldn't they have known that I might not like it. I mean, it is comics, and telepathy and the like shouldn't be new to them.

By the way, I bought some microchamber from your website, and I haven't received notice of it shipping. What's up? :sumo:

Bust a Deal Face the Wheel

My telepathy says you didn't order it from mine...

That and MCP is not on my site

Mine is investmentcomicsupply.com

It was probably Hot Flips but that doesn't excuse you from delivering me some MCP pronto!

Actually, I think I bought from you some mylars for slabs recently. Almost used them all up as I've been replacing the cheapo stuff.

My telepathy says you didn't order it from mine...

That and MCP is not on my site

Mine is investmentcomicsupply.com

It was probably Hot Flips but that doesn't excuse you from delivering me some MCP pronto!

Actually, I think I bought from you some mylars for slabs recently. Almost used them all up as I've been replacing the cheapo stuff.

No worries, I have shipped Mylars to Murfreesboro, I'll make sure to let you know when I have MCP back in stock. Although, I'll use the PM system, since for some reason sometimes I only get a tickle on my end of the telepathy thing.

How valuable were the books? Maybe he wanted to buy insurance and send them registered mail. He might be including the price of the box and shipping supplies he purchased to send the slabs since you can't safely fit multiple slabs in a flat rate box.

$55 apiece. Some FF Byrne slabs in 9.8. I had bought from them in the past, and I liked the service and comics. We negotiated the price, and they adjust the costs on their websites, and I bought them. Not really sure why they charged so much. I did pay the total knowing it was high, and I'll live with it because that was my decision. Excessive shipping costs just bug me. I'll refund someone a dollar if I overcharge. So yeah, it's on me to deal with the charge, but they should be reasonable. I can't see myself going back after these costs. I'd hoped for a good relationship for other books to fill my runs, but hey, so it goes.

My two cents:

While everyone on ebay can and should be expected to use telepathy, asking about shipping before bidding probably would have saved you a few bucks.

As a seller I would be more worried about having to pay the cost of shipping four pounds to the West Coast than hoping that someone in a neighboring state would overpay me for shipping.

22812d1383756775-83091-giant-more-you-know-meme-9t8u.jpg

So 4 books purchased and shipping total was $32. So does that mean in the listing for each book it was $8 per book? That seems cheap. So now you gather up 4 books and the seller for some reason dosent have the ebay expertise to have his combined shipping linked up to adjust automatically. You had options and likely chose the worst one. I'm sure the guy wasnt out to nail you, you nailed yourself. He will likely fix it. Next time try to hash it out before you buy and if you cant wait, before you check out. You can request a total or send a message after you have committed to buy. Slow down a bit, communicate, relax, breathe, it's going to be ok

Yup. He knew what the shipping charges were before buying and he bought anyway. Suck it up, buttercup