• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Original Comic Art - Inks/ Pencil Marks

19 posts in this topic

I actually enjoy pencilled art over the inked version as sometimes the inker (who may NOT be the original artist) just lightboxes (sometimes enlarging) the pencils before inking it onto 11 x 17 inch bristol board. The pencils reveal the CREATIVE thinking process of the artist to develop the layout of the interior or splash page. hi.gif

I have to agree with Aardvark. The pencils are an important part of the piece. The only time that they bother me is when they are really heavy and overpower the inked piece itself.

It's a personal preference. Seeing the pencils can give you insight into what the penciler was originally envisioning and how the inker changed it.

This promo art for the FF book that was published in Hulk 1 had pencils still on it, and althought his scan is too small to show, you could see how Kirby had originally had Mr. Fantastic stretching in different ways, including his head stretching out on his neck. I find that really cool.

584548-Hulk1art.jpg

Rhino,

U own that ????

WAYYYYY COOOL !!!

Was that an EBAY purchase ?

No, i WISH I owned it. I just grabbed a pic of the scan. I think it sold on ebay a year or so ago for something like $35,000 or more. It is the oldest FF original art in existence. The promo for the FF appeared in Hulk 1 and in Strange Tales 93.

Here's the ad that appeared in ST93:

ffpromo.jpg

And there is a whole thread on these cool promo ads in the Silver Age comics archive:

Old comic book promo ads thread

Rhino,

U own that ????

WAYYYYY COOOL !!!

Was that an EBAY purchase ?

No, i WISH I owned it. I just grabbed a pic of the scan. I think it sold on ebay a year or so ago for something like $35,000 or more. It is the oldest FF original art in existence. The promo for the FF appeared in Hulk 1 and in Strange Tales 93.

Here's the ad that appeared in ST93:

[/img]

And there is a whole thread on these cool promo ads in the Silver Age comics archive:

Old comic book promo ads thread

Amazing! laugh.gif Thanks for sharing, Rhino. 893applaud-thumb.gif

I have to agree with Aardvark. The pencils are an important part of the piece. The only time that they bother me is when they are really heavy and overpower the inked piece itself.

Sometimes the pencil work is so dynamic, it doesnt need any inking

conan.jpg

Sometimes the pencil work is so dynamic, it doesnt need any inking

conan.jpg

As a general rule I like finished pencils much better than inked work. Of course there are exceptions.

oh sweeet! no ink needed there.

wowie wow wow wowie (in my best christopher walken impression)

pencils/ink whatever, i like it.

sometimes you can see pencils on the art that weren't inked,

once in a while that looks a bit strange...and sometimes

i like to see mistakes as well...

It's a personal preference. Seeing the pencils can give you insight into what the penciler was originally envisioning and how the inker changed it.

This promo art for the FF book that was published in Hulk 1 had pencils still on it, and althought his scan is too small to show, you could see how Kirby had originally had Mr. Fantastic stretching in different ways, including his head stretching out on his neck. I find that really cool.

584548-Hulk1art.jpg

Anybody know where this OA piece is? I remember it sold on Ebay for $35000 Buy It Now. Anybody know where it is? I have a question regarding it.

KK

584548-Hulk1art.jpg

Anybody know where this OA piece is? I remember it sold on Ebay for $35000 Buy It Now. Anybody know where it is? I have a question regarding it.

KK

I own it

584548-Hulk1art.jpg

KK

I own it

I have doubts that this is the earliest Kirby FF art. The way the Thing looks alone to me places this piece closer to FF 4. Don't forget Original art is drawn months in advance (5 months?)of publishing date, but seeing as this is ad art, It could have been drawn later than the rest of the book that it appeared with. All the pages to FF 3 are out there. Did this really go for $35K?? I remember it on e-bay, but not the final price.

Clem....

584548-Hulk1art.jpg

KK

I own it

I have doubts that this is the earliest Kirby FF art. The way the Thing looks alone to me places this piece closer to FF 4. Don't forget Original art is drawn months in advance (5 months?)of publishing date, but seeing as this is ad art, It could have been drawn later than the rest of the book that it appeared with. All the pages to FF 3 are out there. Did this really go for $35K?? I remember it on e-bay, but not the final price.

Clem....

Yes this sold for 35k