• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fantastic Four 2 - Fox (2015-06-09) They Are Still Threatening to Release This

45 posts in this topic

http://www.cinemablend.com/m/new/Fantastic-Four-2-May-Still-Happen-With-Changes-76417.html

Apparently it is still a green light.

Anyway here is your placeholder for a sequel to a movie that has achieved a respectful 9% fresh on Rotten Tomatoes

Any other casting, direction or plot changes?

So the Cinemablend article was posted a month ago and it relies on a Hitflix article from August 10th, just days after FF premiered. In light of the abysmal financial performance of the film over the rest of August, the rumor of a sequel being in the works is very much stale. I wouldn't rely on that article. I am hopeful Fox sees that there is money to be made on the FF property via a collaboration with Marvel Studios -- so we get a complete reboot of the FF maybe after Avengers Infinity War ends.

Or perhaps Marvel Studios are free to negotiate a Spider-man like deal along with Disney backing them with Ike out of the picture and the FF join in on the Marvel fun.

Or perhaps Marvel Studios are free to negotiate a Spider-man like deal along with Disney backing them with Ike out of the picture and the FF join in on the Marvel fun.

Sony = broke

Fox = Not broke

A totally different situation.

Besides, FF is so screwed at this point, why would Marvel want a joint venture?

If Fox and Marvel are smart, they'll work out a deal to revert FF back to Marvel. Fox should surrender the rights to FF and much greater percentage of X-men merchandise rights in exchange for some coin and the X-men TV rights.

Fox gets to stop trying to make fetch work with the FF and can expand their X universe. Marvel gets to use the FF villains and cosmic, and Disney gets to add to their revenue with the insane amount they could make off of X licensing. Which in turn would probably help the X projects on Fox's end. Win win for everybody.

If Fox and Marvel are smart, they'll work out a deal to revert FF back to Marvel. Fox should surrender the rights to FF and much greater percentage of X-men merchandise rights in exchange for some coin and the X-men TV rights.

Fox gets to stop trying to make fetch work with the FF and can expand their X universe. Marvel gets to use the FF villains and cosmic, and Disney gets to add to their revenue with the insane amount they could make off of X licensing. Which in turn would probably help the X projects on Fox's end. Win win for everybody.

This is probably much more the reality of the situation.

Fox wants that X-Men TV rights.

That's the more detailed version of what I said.

I want the Surfer...

That's the more detailed version of what I said.

I want the Surfer...

For real. The idea of marvel getting to expand the cosmic side post Infinity War has me like

tumblr_lzbk4nXUVX1ro2c2ro6_r1_500.gif

Yup. Fox agrees to void the FF contract in exchange for Marvel adding the TV rights to X-Men to the existing contract. They may even agree to a reduction in the % that FOX has to give them on X-Men films & possibly even give FOX some of the merchandising revenue. The villains & cosmic characters that are part of the FF contract are worth more to Marvel than what they get out of unused X-Men tv rights & the little that they might give to FOX back on their cut of the movies & merch.

I'm not why folks keep thinking marvel wants the FF back

I see no reason to believe this

Marvel definitely wants DOOM and the cosmic cheracters, but I think it's wishful thinking on the parts of F4 fans that, that automatically means Marvel also wants the F4.

Marvel definitely wants DOOM and the cosmic cheracters, but I think it's wishful thinking on the parts of F4 fans that, that automatically means Marvel also wants the F4.

Yeah, most of the conversations I see involving Marvel getting the rights back have little to do with the fantastic four themselves. Even Doom they'd probably not touch. But factor in Silver Surfer, Galuctus, Annihilus, Skrulls...

Avengers Infinity War Pt 2. Silver Surfer makes his first appearance (which makes sense since it's a big ol cosmic showdown). The after credits clip is Galactus. Phase four is Inhumans, Silver Surfer, Guardians 3, Dr strange 2 and a few others. Having those FF extras would set them up for a pretty awesome Phase run after Infinty.

And if they could get the distribution rights from Universal they could finally do a Planet Hulk story line. A lot of original contracts are up past phase 3, and they have a good 3 more phases if they focus on.cosmic.

Agreed

The villains are more popular than the F4 family.

As others said, the value to Marvel isn't in t he FF themselves, but in all the characters that are tied up in that contract. Surfer, Galactus, Super-Skrull (and the end of the legal clusterfrank that is the Skrull rights), Anhilus, Doom, Kang and a number of other characters. That the FF comes along with those rights is just icing on the cake to Marvel that they can enjoy down the line sometime.

Yeah, most of the conversations I see involving Marvel getting the rights back have little to do with the fantastic four themselves. Even Doom they'd probably not touch. But factor in Silver Surfer, Galuctus, Annihilus, Skrulls...

Avengers Infinity War Pt 2. Silver Surfer makes his first appearance (which makes sense since it's a big ol cosmic showdown). The after credits clip is Galactus. Phase four is Inhumans, Silver Surfer, Guardians 3, Dr strange 2 and a few others. Having those FF extras would set them up for a pretty awesome Phase run after Infinty.

And if they could get the distribution rights from Universal they could finally do a Planet Hulk story line. A lot of original contracts are up past phase 3, and they have a good 3 more phases if they focus on.cosmic.

If that is all Marvel has for phase 4 I doubt there would be a phase 5.

What's nice about the possibility of expanding the cosmic universe with Galactus, etc., is that it still leaves the possibility of the FF wide open. Instead of Reed Richards looking to beat the Commies into space, he could be investigating Galactus, etc., alongside the Avengers when the cosmic rays hit. So they can still incorporate a younger FF for Phase Whatever very easily if they wish.

I'm just hopeful they get the rights back, 'cause I for one would think the FF would make an amazing movie with the kind of writers, actors, and directors that Marvel often gets. Marvel's blend of humor and spectacle is tailor-made for the interactions among the first family.

Dan

Such enlightening feedback! (thumbs u

Such enlightening feedback! (thumbs u

I just don't see Inhumans, Silver Surfer, and Dr Strange 2 as box office behemoths. If Marvel is going to lose Downey Jr and others when contracts expire, what replaces the box office might of Avengers and Iron Man? I don't see anything from that list doing it, not even Guardians. I'm also skeptical that Marvel makes a concerted effort to go cosmic past Infinity Gauntlet/War/whatever. Disney is already doing Star Wars films, why have a bunch of superhero franchises that just look like Star Wars lite?