• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Were There Any SA DC 3 Issue Stories?

21 posts in this topic

DC rarely did continued stories but when they did it was always 2 issues-anyone ever see a SA DC 3 issue story?

First DC story that ran three consecutive Issues that I remember was JLA 98-100.

However, you had multiple part stories like Zantana's search for her father which was spread over multiple books and the death of Alfred/Outsider arc that played out over several months. I don't know if either really qualifies, but the Alfred one might. I only read it in reprints so I'm not sure where it originally ran.

From Wiki

Ironically, Alfred's loyalty would lead him to become a member of Batman's rogue's gallery. While pushing Batman and Robin out of the way of a falling boulder, Alfred was seemingly killed in Detective #328 (June 1964). It was revealed in Detective #356 (October 1966) that he had been revived by a scientist named Brandon Crawford. His attempt at regeneration resulted in a dramatic change: Alfred awoke from his apparent death with pasty white skin with circular markings, superhuman powers, including telekinesis, and a desire to destroy Batman and Robin. Calling himself The Outsider, he indirectly battled the Dynamic Duo on a number of occasions, using others as his puppets – the Grasshopper Gang in Detective #334, Zatanna in Detective #336, and even the Batmobile itself in Detective #340 – and generally only appeared as a mocking voice over the radio

Zatanna's search for her father was the subject of a storyline[2] which was featured in several titles edited by Julius Schwartz,[3] and in it, Zatanna interacts with Hawkman and Hawkgirl;[4] battles Batman and Robin while in disguise as a witch and under the control of the villain the Outsider;[5] and teams with the Atom,[6] Green Lantern,[7] and the Elongated Man.[8] The series culminated in Justice League of America #51 (Feb. 1967).[9] This Justice League adventure took place during the Batman television craze where Batman was featured prominently on the cover. The premise that the witch in Detective Comics #336 was Zatanna was perceived as an attempt to get Batman participating in this issue of Justice League of America no matter how vague the connection to Zatanna's quest was.[10]

If you look at SA covers Marvel mostly had a fight on the cover where DC had some bizarre scene or comedy element

Different kids were drawn to different books

I remember several examples of multi-issue stories in SA DC.

Action 351-353 had Superman vs. Zha-Vam.

Action 355-357 had Superman vs. the Annihilator.

The Virus-X storyline ran through 5 consecutive issues: Action 362-366.

Action 366-368 had a 3 issue Supergirl story.

Action 371-375 (except 373, which was an 80-pg giant) had a 4 part story in which Superman lost his memory. He knew he was Superman but he didn't remember he was Clark Kent.

These were all 12 cent issues.

Action 371-375 (except 373, which was an 80-pg giant) had a 4 part story in which Superman lost his memory. He knew he was Superman but he didn't remember he was Clark Kent.

Oh yeah and there was also those Action issues where Superman went into the future and got old and was trapped there by the Time Trapper-that was a 3 issue story....385-387

Good post. Interesting.

Oh yeah and there was also those Action issues where Superman went into the future and got old and was trapped there by the Time Trapper-that was a 3 issue story....385-387

I forgot about that one!

I assume Zha-Vam was a poor imitation of the Big Red Cheese?

Wasn't there a Captain Thunder who also bore an uncanny resemblance to he who couldn't be named or shown?

The Greek gods saw a vision of the future in which they have been forgotten and everyone is cheering for Superman. They were pretty annoyed so they created a superman out of clay, gave him life and six powers (see Kav's post), and he also had a belt with different letters on it. Pressing a letter would give him the power of another god or goddess.

Anyway, they sent him to the future to battle Superman.

The Virus X story line from Action 362-366 is one that has always stayed with me. To an 8 year old boy, seeing the virus spread over Supes body little by little left a strong visual impression. I checked into my collection and I still have 2 of my 5 original copies surviving, (see image below). I probably hung on to them because of the cool Neal Adams covers.

JqGI8jr.jpg

Showcase 30-31-32 Aquaman's origin

Aquaman's origin is only in issue #30. Issues #30-32 are separate stories, not a connected story that spans all 3 issues.

However, Aquaman #40-45 is the Quest for Mera storyline that spans at least 6 issues (possibly 7 issues as some of the events in #45 continue in #46).

I remember that missing Mera seriously disturbed me as a kid. It wasn't helped that I only had 2 issues so never knew what happened to her.

The Virus X story line from Action 362-366 is one that has always stayed with me. To an 8 year old boy, seeing the virus spread over Supes body little by little left a strong visual impression.

Same here! That was a powerful story.