• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

If they started making comics SA style stories and art would you buy them?

47 posts in this topic

Silver age exclusively, probably not. However, BA and CA with a little SA thrown in? Yah, you betcha!*

* However, not at current cover prices. They'd have to come down in price before I'd consider it

Kirby, Colan, Cardy, Romita... :cloud9:

As far as modern storytelling goes, I don't avoid it because it's complex and has crossovers, I avoid it because they urinated on everything that came before it. Single-issue stories won't help anything if they're horribly out of character.

* However, not at current cover prices. They'd have to come down in price before I'd consider it

Agreed. I just picked up a stack of low grade silver age Daredevils for less than current cover... too many things I want that I can pick up for less than 2.99/3.99 before I risk investing my time into new comics.

Kav, do you mean would I read comics with narration, easy-to follow panel flow which promotes good story-telling, few cross-overs, not every issue is the end of the world, issue numbering doesn't change, the alter ego of the super hero isn't changing once a year (Miles Morales? Spider-Gwen? Seriously??), the editor refers me to past issue numbers to find a past story, original scripts by Lee, Thomas, Fox and Broome, covers by Cardy, Swan and Steranko, pencils by Kirby, Adams, Romita, Kane, Aparo, Buscema et al., inks by Palmer, Sinnott and Giordano, a letters column and bullpen bulletin, cool ads with gimmicks that I'll never buy but are cool to look at, and an overall product that adults and kids can enjoy ... and printed on pulp to keep costs down .... Yes count me in.

Buzzetta posts Billy Joel video (that I won't watch).......in 3, 2, 1....

Don't think I've frequently posted a Billy Joel video...

hm Think I did that once actually ... There are videos usually posted but not Billy

I said, "No" to silver age stories because the stories have not held up well over time. Many of the stories are dated and to be blunt, hokey. Some cite modern versions as ignoring the what came before. However when it comes to a character like Batman, I prefer the Bronze Copper and Modern version to the Silver Age comical version of Batman.

I would also say that certain titles and characters as well as themes were improved upon after their Silver Age debut like the X-Men. Yes, there comes a point in the 90's where it became too hard to follow. However the X-Men don't find their groove until the Bronze and Copper age.

Kav, do you mean would I read comics with narration, easy-to follow panel flow which promotes good story-telling, few cross-overs, not every issue is the end of the world, issue numbering doesn't change, the alter ego of the super hero isn't changing once a year (Miles Morales? Spider-Gwen? Seriously??), the editor refers me to past issue numbers to find a past story, original scripts by Lee, Thomas, Fox and Broome, covers by Cardy, Swan and Steranko, pencils by Kirby, Adams, Romita, Kane, Aparo, Buscema et al., inks by Palmer, Sinnott and Giordano,

Better question would be: hey random boardie, can you chime in and tell us if you would buy comics if your favorite artists or writers started making books again?

key word: style

a letters column and bullpen bulletin, cool ads with gimmicks that I'll never buy but are cool to look at, and an overall product that adults and kids can enjoy ... and printed on pulp to keep costs down .... Yes count me in.

As discussed here many times in the past, changing the type of paper would do nothing to reduce price, for many reasons.

To answer the OP, yes if it was written more like this , :censored: no if it was written more like most actual SA books, especially things like early X-Men.

Urg...if they tried to take themselves serious then NOPE. But many comics already do replicate SA stories in a light hearted approach which make them actually entertaining. The modern series 'Strange Tales' is a good example, many of the stories capture the feeling of SA but without the stuffy, boring stories. :)

Silver age was before my time, but if it was replicated from an art perspective I probably wouldn't - printing and talent have come a long way since then. Not taking away from the nostalgia nor the talent which moved this hobby forward dramatically in that era, today's artists and tools are able to create much more dynamic visuals.

Silver age art would look very flat if it was honestly held up in comparison - By that I mean new art, in that style, but not being done by the icons wouldn't fare well. The existing stuff is valued totally differently because of its contribution in comic history and how it changed comics from the Golden Age.

All that said, using Silver age inspiration in a manner similar to how Batman 66 is using the TV series could prove very entertaining and high quality - but it would have to be a niche rather than broad sweeping product.

Silver age was before my time, but if it was replicated from an art perspective I probably wouldn't - printing and talent have come a long way since then. Not taking away from the nostalgia nor the talent which moved this hobby forward dramatically in that era, today's artists and tools are able to create much more dynamic visuals.

I think you are confusing talent with style. If you want to say you don't care for the style of SA, fine. I didn't like much SA art when I first started seriously collecting in the 80s. However, to say that SA artists were less talented than today's artists, is not true at all. I see modern comic book art that I wouldn't line my birdcage with. (The same applies to all eras of comic book art)

Silver age exclusively, probably not. However, BA and CA with a little SA thrown in? Yah, you betcha!*

The thing is, you'd actually get a story in each issue, so it'd be worth the money.

Pick up any random Marvel or DC comic today and time yourself reading it. Then pick up any random Silver Age Marvel or DC comic and do the same. It takes a lot longer time to read the older books. There is a lot of words on the page, with tons of description and not a lot of wasted space.