• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

If they started making comics SA style stories and art would you buy them?

47 posts in this topic

Yes I meant if they did simpler stories without the 'edgy' art but just solid draftsmanship and no angst no gritty no crossovers no main character gets killed every issue comes back the next no boobs shooting out like rockets just kid friendly but enjoyable by adults stories.

I read SA books and enjoy them as much now as I did when they came out so I don't think they are dated or dead or anything.

They try so many things why not just try this? They throw anything and everything to the wall hoping something sticks-Thanos is Aunt May's father, the spider that bit Peter Parker gets hit by gamma rays and becomes a super villain, whatever.

Why not just try what actually worked in the past when comics were popular?

I picked up a few issues of Batman 1966 and thought the idea was Kool but the actual product sucked.

Not all Silver is made equally. FF circa 1966 is a safe bet. Others?

No he means the modern book 'Batman 1966' I would post a pic but if you google or ebay batman 1966 all you get is BATMAN 1966 comics.

Buzzetta posts Billy Joel video (that I won't watch).......in 3, 2, 1....

Don't think I've frequently posted a Billy Joel video...

hm Think I did that once actually ... There are videos usually posted but not Billy

I said, "No" to silver age stories because the stories have not held up well over time. Many of the stories are dated and to be blunt, hokey. Some cite modern versions as ignoring the what came before. However when it comes to a character like Batman, I prefer the Bronze Copper and Modern version to the Silver Age comical version of Batman.

I would also say that certain titles and characters as well as themes were improved upon after their Silver Age debut like the X-Men. Yes, there comes a point in the 90's where it became too hard to follow. However the X-Men don't find their groove until the Bronze and Copper age.

John Byrne X-Men :cloud9:

I picked up a few issues of Batman 1966 and thought the idea was Kool but the actual product sucked.

Not all Silver is made equally. FF circa 1966 is a safe bet. Others?

No he means the modern book 'Batman 1966' I would post a pic but if you google or ebay batman 1966 all you get is BATMAN 1966 comics.

Batman '66 Batman '66 :gossip:

IMHO the Daredevil reboot and Hawkeye from a few years ago had the elements that made 60-70s great, while still being "modern". That cover from (acts of vengeance) w Capt fighting submariner was greatness and felt SA. I dont recall issue#. I am like most old timers, i just buy 70-80s books i passed up before for cheap vs paying prem for new issues.

Yes I meant if they did simpler stories without the 'edgy' art but just solid draftsmanship . . .

When I was a kid, SA comics were already 20 years old or so, but they were still pretty cheap even in high grade, so I bought and read them fairly often. I enjoyed the stories, and still pick them up from time to time just for purposes of nostalgia, but I don't think I'd buy similar comics if they came out now. They'd strike me as a little too bland.

I vote Golden Age. The comics put out during the golden age were grittier pre-code.

My second age would be copper.

Then Bronze age style.

Other than classic Kirby, Swan, and Ditko stories we will find most silver age stories were neutered because of the comic code.

It`s hard to go back to that Silver Age style once the Watchmen and Dark Knight Returns style was let out of the bottle.

SA books are too wordy. Every panel describes what's in the picture. This is not necessary. There picture usually describes what's in the picture just fine. Some nuance in exposition is needed.

And I don't care about the crossovers, because I read them in trades anyways. Why buy floppies any more? They just take up space. Most important, there's good stuff out there. It just may not be published by Marvel or DC. I just read The Fade Out: Act One tpb, and it was awesome. Pretty much anything Brubaker and Phillips put out is pretty darn good. And there's plenty more. Busiek and Anderson's Astro City is ongoing as well and, though I haven't read the newest series, I've really liked every Astro City book I've read. Astro City certainly have a throwback superhero feel to it. If you can't find anything out there that you like right now, you're probably just not trying very hard.

SA books are too wordy. Every panel describes what's in the picture. This is not necessary. There picture usually describes what's in the picture just fine. Some nuance in exposition is needed.

And I don't care about the crossovers, because I read them in trades anyways. Why buy floppies any more? They just take up space. Most important, there's good stuff out there. It just may not be published by Marvel or DC. I just read The Fade Out: Act One tpb, and it was awesome. Pretty much anything Brubaker and Phillips put out is pretty darn good. And there's plenty more. Busiek and Anderson's Astro City is ongoing as well and, though I haven't read the newest series, I've really liked every Astro City book I've read. Astro City certainly have a throwback superhero feel to it. If you can't find anything out there that you like right now, you're probably just not trying very hard.

The new Astro City stuff is great. Just as great as the old stuff. It remains a phenomenal series. If something like New Frontier was meant as a direct homage to the Silver Age, Astro City is a modern reworking. It's got all the same DNA as the silver stories but is thoroughly modern as well.

Kav, do you mean would I read comics with narration, easy-to follow panel flow which promotes good story-telling, few cross-overs, not every issue is the end of the world, issue numbering doesn't change, the alter ego of the super hero isn't changing once a year (Miles Morales? Spider-Gwen? Seriously??), the editor refers me to past issue numbers to find a past story, original scripts by Lee, Thomas, Fox and Broome, covers by Cardy, Swan and Steranko, pencils by Kirby, Adams, Romita, Kane, Aparo, Buscema et al., inks by Palmer, Sinnott and Giordano, a letters column and bullpen bulletin, cool ads with gimmicks that I'll never buy but are cool to look at, and an overall product that adults and kids can enjoy ... and printed on pulp to keep costs down .... Yes count me in.

You're being too vague.

^^

More specifically, unnecessarily wordy and redundant.

If the creators aren't using the medium properly, it's just sub-par work.

I once walked into a room and saw some show on a television. What caught my attention wasn't the video, but the audio. I was wondering what kind of weird show I was watching before I realized that Described Video had accidentally been turned on.

This occurring is pretty much my comic book dream. Returning comics to fun, imaginative and enjoyable for readers of all ages. I'm so sick of everything becoming dark and grim and hopeless. Frank Miller is pretty much the antithesis of everything I enjoy about comics. Comic events being "world shattering" all the time loses its impact fast. Seeing Gerry Conway return to Spider-man was a breath of fresh air. Too bad he isn't remaining on it.

The new Astro City stuff is great. Just as great as the old stuff. It remains a phenomenal series. If something like New Frontier was meant as a direct homage to the Silver Age, Astro City is a modern reworking. It's got all the same DNA as the silver stories but is thoroughly modern as well.

I recently sold off most of my collection from when I was younger but decided to keep my Astro City books. They will be one of the few modern sets I will buy as floppies. I can't wait to pick up the new series; looking through and then getting rid of my old books brought me new-found enthusiasm.