• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The one and only 9.8 ASM 14 up for grabs at HA in Nov

56 posts in this topic

It was on display in Chicago. Great book.

After all these years and so many tries it's almost surreal that there is on one 9.8 copy of this book. I'd expect it to go north of $60K IMO.

Sweet book. Isn't there a 9.8 of ASM 14 from Voldemort (I hate this name btw)? I think I remember seeing that

I found the image...not going to post it but there is another 9.8 out there. And, I think it looks better than this one.

Sweet book. Isn't there a 9.8 of ASM 14 from Voldemort (I hate this name btw)? I think I remember seeing that

I found the image...not going to post it but there is another 9.8 out there. And, I think it looks better than this one.

The Voldemort copy might have better centering but I don't think it's better structurally.

I would have guessed that chipping in the Hulk box would have brought it down a little.

Not really. You're hard pressed to find Marvels from the mid 60's without some sort of roughness on an edge.

I would have guessed that chipping in the Hulk box would have brought it down a little.

Not really. You're hard pressed to find Marvels from the mid 60's without some sort of roughness on an edge.

This is where the highest of the high grade books confuse me. A quick search of ASM 14 9.6 brings up a copy that sold a couple years ago on Comic Connect that, to me, looks just as good if not better than this copy and it appears to have a much cleaner edge. I realize a 9.8 is not a perfect 10.0, but I'd just think the highest graded copy wouldn't have a defect like that; even though it is very small.

This is where the highest of the high grade books confuse me. A quick search of ASM 14 9.6 brings up a copy that sold a couple years ago on Comic Connect that, to me, looks just as good if not better than this copy and it appears to have a much cleaner edge. I realize a 9.8 is not a perfect 10.0, but I'd just think the highest graded copy wouldn't have a defect like that; even though it is very small.

Post the scan or a link to the CC copy.

There must have been other defects that kept the book out of 9.8 range. I can tell you for a fact that there have been a LOT of people trying to find the 1st 9.8 of this book and 15 years into CGC there is only one copy - this one.

CGC has limiting factors that prevent books from going higher thann a specific grade (depends on the defect and the size of the defect) but they may not necessarily affect the grade itself if the book is graded below what that limiting grade is.

I know you might disagree with CGC's grading but as far as that right edge roughness, if the pieces missing are microscopic, which those are, and there are no hanging tears or pieces, that edge is not going to keep it out of 9.8. Might keep it out of 9.9, but not out of 9.8.

So in this case, they allow a bit of roughness on the right edge in 9.8. There are also plenty of ASM #300's in 9.8 with a slightly rough right edge. That book is also notorious for that defect.

Post the scan or a link to the CC copy.

There must have been other defects that kept the book out of 9.8 range. I can tell you for a fact that there have been a LOT of people trying to find the 1st 9.8 of this book and 15 years into CGC there is only one copy - this one.

CGC has limiting factors that prevent books from going higher thann a specific grade (depends on the defect and the size of the defect) but they may not necessarily affect the grade itself if the book is graded below what that limiting grade is.

I know you might disagree with CGC's grading but as far as that right edge roughness, if the pieces missing are microscopic, which those are, and there are no hanging tears or pieces, that edge is not going to keep it out of 9.8. Might keep it out of 9.9, but not out of 9.8.

So in this case, they allow a bit of roughness on the right edge in 9.8. There are also plenty of ASM #300's in 9.8 with a slightly rough right edge. That book is also notorious for that defect.

ASM 14 9.6

Here is the book I was referring to. Someone like you who's been in the business for years can probably quickly tell me why it's graded as it is. I'm really not trying argue the grade is wrong or take away from the book. I just noticed that edge and was curious why that didn't seem to affect the grade.

That 9.6 on ComicConnect has a thin tanning line along the top edge of the back cover that shouldn't be allowable in 9.8. Of course, neither should a rough cut to the front cover right edge, either.

I think CGCs' standards on this type of production defect have changed over the years. I've seen several old label 9.2- and 9.4-graded SA Marvels with minor right edge problems way too slight to be considered pre-chips, and that would otherwise be worthy of 9.6 and 9.8 grades. Frankly, it's difficult to be consistent with these ultra-high grades, and a one-day 9.8 can be another-day 9.6 a fair amount of the time.

ASM 14 9.6

Here is the book I was referring to. Someone like you who's been in the business for years can probably quickly tell me why it's graded as it is. I'm really not trying argue the grade is wrong or take away from the book. I just noticed that edge and was curious why that didn't seem to affect the grade.

Just from what I can see, slight tan line top back cover, slight spine stress center spine, soft bottom spine corner - there might be more but the scans aren't big enough to tell.

CGC is really tough on tan lines, especially in high grades. That alone would keep the book out of 9.8 IMO. I think it's a combination of tiny defects that kept the book down.

You're right though, very nice presenting copy.