• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ebay Private Listings YES OR NO?

11 posts in this topic

As a buyer on ebay do you prefer private listings or regular listings?

If you don't know, private listings don't show up under feedback. So if you are looking under a sellers feedback you are not able to "view item" if the listing is private.

I've been thinking it may be a benefit to list stuff private just because if someone wins something from me and wants to re-sell it someone could possibly scroll through their feedback and see what the new seller paid for it. Also, sometimes people may not want others to see what they paid for an item.

I'm sure very few would care but i'm thinking some people might.

Thanks

I would strongly suggest NOT doing private listings. Fair or not, I always work under the assumption that if it's a private listing, then something shady is going on. I think a lot more buyers would agree with that feeling, than would prefer private listings.

And also, to your point of it showing up in the buyer's feedback, eBay already makes it so that the item title/item number won't show on the buyer's feedback page. If a seller receives feedback, it shows what item the feedback was in reference to -- but for buyers, a seller can say "paid quickly, great customer" but eBay won't show the item that was for, on the buyer's feedback profile.

Private listings used to be a great way to facilitate a deal done through messages or a forum. You still get all the protection that eBay + paypal brings (and they still get all of their fees).

I really don't know if there is any benefit anymore of doing this over just paypal though.

At the end of every summer I sell off my used trashed worn out flip flops. I always list those privately to protect the buyer with their specific interest in those sort of things. It started out as a joke... but now I realize there is a market for such things.

Last year, a used trashed pair of my basic Adidas black with white striped sneakers sold for twice what I originally paid for them. Sometimes buyers like to keep their private identity private.

At the end of every summer I sell off my used trashed worn out flip flops. I always list those privately to protect the buyer with their specific interest in those sort of things. It started out as a joke... but now I realize there is a market for such things.

Last year, a used trashed pair of my basic Adidas black with white striped sneakers sold for twice what I originally paid for them. Sometimes buyers like to keep their private identity private.

What kind of twisted world do you live in?

New York.

So do I throw these out or sell them for $50-$80 ? (previous sales support this number). What someone does with something after they buy it from me so long as it is not used to harm anyone or anything is none of my business. lol

9069F154-7B8F-47DF-8BA5-EF636D514A61.jpg