• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New at collecting, some advise.

18 posts in this topic

Hi People,

I am new to collecting, as in its been about 2 months, I was always into watching the animated films and TV shows etc, but only recently started reading comics, and now collecting them.

So far I have made quite a few hasty purchases and probably over paid on a couple of comics, I am now learning that this hobby requires a bit of patients, deep pockets, and an understanding partner :eek: .

Are there any UK collectors that could offer any advise? I have a few questions, but any other advise would be welcome.

What UK conventions tend to have a CGC presence?

What UK based places offer CCS submission on top of CGC submissions?

A lot of Americans collectors have mentioned finding comics at thrift shops and yard sales etc, have any UK collectors found anything in charity shops/car boot sales? as I have not managed to find even worthless comics at these places.

@Davenport, thanks for the link, much appreciated.

@TVHorror, for myself, I have always liked Deathstroke, so will start on some keys. We are expecting a little girl at the end of next month, so I wanted to collect some key Harley Quinn issues to pass on to her when she is older. Thought it was better than just putting money in the bank, and she can either keep or sell them when she is grown up.

Car boot sales are like flea markets you sell stuff from either the (trunk / boot) of your car or on a table with your stuff displayed.

Car boot sales tend to expand until they're often pretty much indistinguishable from a regular market place. The local one here is just a load of market stalls / tables now.

I've never really looked at charity shops for comics, just a few book exchanges. I was told that the local YMCA's second-hand bookshop had a run of early (American) Conan comics in once, but I never bothered going.

They used to be great for bargains, but I think a lot of people check what they are planning to sell online before hand, so bargains are becoming harder to find.

Cheers Ken, I will Keep an eye out for next year, did you go?

Car boot sales are like flea markets you sell stuff from either the (trunk / boot) of your car or on a table with your stuff displayed.

Car boot sales tend to expand until they're often pretty much indistinguishable from a regular market place. The local one here is just a load of market stalls / tables now.

I've never really looked at charity shops for comics, just a few book exchanges. I was told that the local YMCA's second-hand bookshop had a run of early (American) Conan comics in once, but I never bothered going.

Thanks. Never know what you''ll learn here.

Hey buddy, I'm a London based dude. Welcome to the boards. First off whre abouts are you? If your in London do yourself a favor and make the trinity run of Gosh Comics in Soho, Orbital in Leicester and Megacity in Camden. Choose your favorite and set up a pull list right away. I'd suggest Orbital, as they really take care of you (ie. I've caled them then night before and asked for variants or the 3d DC covers and tehy came through.)

What UK conventions tend to have a CGC presence?

So far only London Super Comic Con. Good luck with CGC and being British, shipping alone has cost me in the thousands.

What UK based places offer CCS submission on top of CGC submissions?

Once again, this is rare, you'd have to call a shop that takes CGC subs, its not done on site anywehre.

A lot of Americans collectors have mentioned finding comics at thrift shops and yard sales etc, have any UK collectors found anything in charity shops/car boot sales? as I have not managed to find even worthless comics at these places.

Yes I have but they often have Pents stamps making them FAR less valuable. I once got an Avengers 4, Journey into Mystery 85 (First Loki), for 100 quid though, both were Pents copies though.

ALWAYS GET $ copies when you can.

I recently visited central London for the first time in years, and took the opportunity to look around the comic shops.

- Forbidden Planet has a large amount of stock, nothing you can't find elsewhere and quite mainstream. The staff also seemed a bit miserable.

- Gosh is a much smaller shop, more independent material than FP but quite limited in what was available.

- The big surprise for me was Orbital. Very impressed with their collected edition / trade paperback / hardcover stock, a well-selected indie section, and also original art and back issues. Next time I'm in London, the only one I'll go back to. Highly recommended.