• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Avengers #1 vol 4 - Gatefold question

7 posts in this topic

Hi guys --

Avengers #1 has a "gatefold" variant by Romita Jr.

Here's a link: http://www.grahamcrackers.com/products/avengers_1_party_exclusive_john_romita_junior_gatefold_variant.htm

That looks like a copy that i have graded (where you can see the actual comic behind the cover.

However, then I have another version of this that is JUST the covers. Is this the "party" variant? Here is an example of what it looks like:

https://www.atomicavenue.com/atomic/issue/467217/Avengers-Vol-4-1-Variation-E

I checked GpAnalysis and there doesn't seem to be a difference in books - or at least separate versions.

Does anyone know what the differences are?

Thanks

I had a 9.8 copy of this which I sold ages ago - my recollection is that the gatefold / party / Variant E are all the same book. That Atomic Avenue link looks like a stock image of some sort.

Not sure what you mean by "just the covers", but there was a gatefold poster available separately at the time.

Normally I would agree with you about the stock image, except I own both versions. The version with the 1/2 blue cover is the standard.. then there's the gatefold variant .. but it seems like only some of them have the actual comic attached? I don't get it.

I believe there were 2 showing Cap as the main cover.

1 Per store was the gatefold cover ending 141 on the barcode

and the other ending 161 on the barcode just has the Cap cover (1 in 75) but with a

half blue background.

The Atomic Avenue image looks like just a stock image

I am not home to verify the barcodes - but I can confirm this with some of my notes.

The blue cap cover was a 1:75 variant. There were similar 1:75 variants for the first 5 issues, each featuring a different Avenger.

The 'gatefold' was the 'party' variant, released either 1 or 2 per store who qualified for the party. Also received by the retailers were the custom retailer premiere edition, which has the store name on the inner cover and different art from the standard cover. And also shipped was the gatefold promo item. Confused yet?

The gatefold promo item was a foldout type poster that contain the covers to all of the 1:75 variants I mentioned above. No comic - just a promo poster like Marvel usually send, albeit a little longer than the normal bifold ones.

The gatefold party variant (1 or 2 per store, I forget) replaced the standard cover with a gatefold promo item version. The gatefold promo item cover is slightly smaller than the standard cover, so you can see the first page of the book on the right side of the book where a cover normally would extend to.