• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Weird ebay backdoor glitch. UPDATE-Story gets even weirder.

23 posts in this topic

Can a buyer purchase a canceled item? I just found out yes. Had an item I accepted best offer. Then buyer asked for cancel. I canceled item, a week later buyer went back to the original invoice I sent him and paid for the item! I got paypal notification that I have money, but no ebay notification item sold!

Called ebay they were unaware this was possible. No feedback is possible or case cannot be opened on a canceled item so I'm in some weird limbo where I get paid and that's the end of the matter.

I don't know but I suspect not. Ebay doesn't recognize it as a transaction except for the fact that it shows up in my total sales for the month.

I'll know for sure when I get my ebay bill.

Weird mess man.

Did you ever invoice them to begin with? Because then what it sounds like is that you invoiced them, then the item was cancelled but the link to pay paypal still existed in the person's email.

There might be a lot of things like this since eBay and paypal are no longer exactly together.

Yes I invoiced them and the story gets weirder-buyer said he never paid. I show payment in my paypal. He shows none. wtf

I might be on the verge of a major expose of the consequences of the ebay/paypal split.

Watch for Kav on the news.

So what you're saying is that you have magically appearing free money that the buyer didn't send, ebay didn't record, you don't have to send any product in exchange for, and paypal is just giving you....

I'm a little confused where the problem is.

So what you're saying is that you have magically appearing free money that the buyer didn't send, ebay didn't record, you don't have to send any product in exchange for, and paypal is just giving you....

I'm a little confused where the problem is.

Hmmm, how can I get in on deal like that?

I'm listing an action 1, doesn't matter that I don't actually have it, as I will never have to mail it out.

Just kick back with my free 6 figure payday from paypal.

Can a buyer purchase a canceled item? I just found out yes. Had an item I accepted best offer. Then buyer asked for cancel. I canceled item, a week later buyer went back to the original invoice I sent him and paid for the item! I got paypal notification that I have money, but no ebay notification item sold!

Called ebay they were unaware this was possible. No feedback is possible or case cannot be opened on a canceled item so I'm in some weird limbo where I get paid and that's the end of the matter.

I think that they can. I cancelled an item four days ago, and whenever I go to pay open invoices it shows up as well. I have to manually remove it from the invoice/unpaid items list prior to completing payment.

The odd thing that happened to me recently with eBay/PayPal was a buyer used the Buy It Now feature to purchase an item-- and I had it set to pay immediately -- yet they did not have to pay for the item to be considered sold. Eventually they did pay so it worked out.

So at some point my settings either got changed or something else happened. To be safe, I went in and bulk edited all my items to "Pay immediately using PayPal". It had some other setting in there as my named "default setting" -- which for the life of me I do not recall ever setting up. Didn't want to have to sweat out the next buyer who lollygagged with their payment. I don't mind if they were buying multiples and asking for a combined shipping total or some other typical auction result. But to me-- if you press the Buy It Now button-- it is time to pay or move along. Otherwise-- if they don't ever pay-- you have to use another relisting to post the same item again-- which is what I was trying to avoid in the first place.

The buyer is a very confused individual so perhaps he doesn't understand how to look at his paypal account. He's the guy who sent an offer that I accepted then said oh I don't actually want it I was just seeing if you would accept $200.

I need to know exactly what is going on before I issue him the refund he is now requesting since I alerted him to his payment so I asked him for the date of the payment. I want him to check his paypal and make sure that there is a payment sent. Not some glitch where he never sent payment and it came to me somehow then if I refund him then suddenly I'm out $200.

I asked him to check his paypal and instead he just said 'Hey refund immediately'. Sir you have screwed me around and this time I NEED TO KNOW EXACTLY WHAT IS GOING ON IF YOU WANT A REFUND PLEASE CHECK YOUR PAYPAL AND GIVE ME SOME INFORMATION.

kav-- it is pretty simple. If you open the pay pal item up and it says "you are ok to ship this item" then the money is in your account.

But since they screwed up-- send him a refund LESS 30 cents -- no sense you have to eat the stupid processing fee. Or eat it-- but definitely block this fool. And remind all of us what their ebay user ID is please.

The problem I have is he unequivocally said he did not send payment. There is already one weird glitch-the purchase of a canceled item. Until I know, for sure, where this payment came from, I do not feel comfortable refunding it. What if his paypal shows no payment sent? Then I better call paypal. I do not want to be eating my own money because of some bizarre paypal glitch.

He is not a comic buyer so no need to block him.