• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I had a buyer insist this was a "Fair 2.0"

38 posts in this topic

Anybody with a key book that looks like this and you want to sell it for 2.0 prices - contact me. I'd say 4.0ish sounds good.

Agreed. I see 4.0ish as well. (thumbs u

I've got a garage full of them for both of you! :grin:

4.5 feels right to me.

Agreed (thumbs u

You guys are way too strict. I keep re-reading the Overstreet "Fine" designation and don't see how you guys come up with your grades. In-hand I don't see how this is a low-grade book.

Chip, I have probably looked at over a few dozen of your listings on eBay within the past year.

I'd say that your grading is on the level.I don;t know what you graded this book at but without holding the book in person, I'd say it is anywhere from a 4.0 to 5.5

Whoever said this book is a 1.0 was likely trying to get the book at a cheaper price than what he paid for it i.e. trying to scam you for a partial refund.

I don't see any water damage at the bottom corner,as Divad said there may be but even if there was a water stain, there is no way it would be even close to a FAIR.

I graded it as a 6.5. Granted it could have been generous but I usually grade around 200 books a week at least due to the volume I need to sell at. Sometimes I miss the mark, but I do re-read the paragraphs on each grade in OSPG as well as the grading guide over again when I have the time so I can refresh the "rules." I also look at CGC slabs when I can, but my opinion of them is that they are WAYYY too picky to the point where it's ridiculous. When you look at a book and it's in great shape, yet they say "6.0" then in my mind it's bogus.

In the end, my customers are very happy. I average about 700 auctions each month and have a return about every other month or so. I stand behind my grading and offer a 100% no-questions-asked return policy if they disagree on the grade or just don't like the cut of my jib. This guy just rubbed me the wrong way with the "Fair 2.0" comment. If he'd have said a 5.0 I'd have thanked him for his input and gone back to re-read the qualifications for 5.0 and 6.5 again to learn where I can improve.

I do appreciate everyone's input here even if most of you are trying way too hard to be "Mini-Me CGC."

:baiting:

I don't believe I gave it a grade . . . :whistle:

That was a general statement about the entire forum. I know not everyone chimed in with an exact number in this thread.

(Man - you got trounced in Week 1!) :baiting:

I know. My team isn't that great and I had a couple scratches at game time...we'll see what happens from now on but I made a vow not to get too stressed about my FF leagues this year. :)

Man, you're grading 200 books per week? Overstreet highly recommends to NEVER grade large quantity of comics at one time due to potential burnout and missing of crucial details. Next thing you know you're assigning 9.0 on books with multiple color breaking ticks and missing pieces.

Man, you're grading 200 books per week? Overstreet highly recommends to NEVER grade large quantity of comics at one time due to potential burnout and missing of crucial details. Next thing you know you're assigning 9.0 on books with multiple color breaking ticks and missing pieces.

As long as you're not rushing, grading 200 books a week is not going to lead to glaring mistakes.By rushing, I mean hastily looking at the FC/BC and then grading the book.

Grading 200 books in one sitting likely would lead to mistakes, though.

Chip isn't doing that :)

If you grade patiently, and under natural light....and you have been grading books for a couple of decades............ you can get a lot of books graded in a week.

Who cares, i say. I grade strict at shows but i overgrade on ebay. Who cares pfftttt

As long as you're not rushing, grading 200 books a week is not going to lead to glaring mistakes.By rushing, I mean hastily looking at the FC/BC and then grading the book.

If you grade patiently, and under natural light....and you have been grading books for a couple of decades............ you can get a lot of books graded in a week.

Well, my comment is based on the fact that he's pointing to the large volume of books he's grading per week as one of the factors contributing to him "missing the mark". Anyways, chip has a very good return policy and pleasant to deal with.

Not that anyone cares about my 2c , but I would say 4.5-5.0.

I know my scanner can be brutal on darker covers, so maybe it looks better in hand. However, that being said, all we can see is what the scanner shows.

Those spine nicks are very similar to a 5.0 CGC I have; not sure how much I would detract for the marker -- maybe nothing considering the other cumulative defects -- maybe 0.5, hence the 4.5-5.0.

Well, my comment is based on the fact that he's pointing to the large volume of books he's grading per week as one of the factors contributing to him "missing the mark". Anyways, chip has a very good return policy and pleasant to deal with.

I try to never buy "returns" - the only people who make out on returns are eBay and the USPS. ;)

Not a GD for sure (besides someone should tell the buyer a Fair is a 1.0-1.5), but honestly I would not grade this above a VG+, there is too much wear and creasing. :shrug:

While we are talking about this (black covers), how would you grade this one? It puzzles me, because although it looks nice it’s not high grade. I graded it as a FN+/FNVF (it has a bottom left corner bump).

Sb3wdhXh.jpg

Who cares, i say. I grade strict at shows but i overgrade on ebay. Who cares pfftttt

(tsk)

Love the books I bought from you… on the boards. :D