• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gambit loses its Director (Time for Fox to throw in the towel?)

59 posts in this topic

You're wrong.

Channing's already proven he's leagues better than Ryan Reynolds.

Further proof? His next two movies -- "The Hateful Eight" (by Quentin Tarantino) & "Hail Caesar" (The Coen Brothers). You don't get to work with them unless you're good, as well as a box office draw.

It's easy to hate on Tatum because he was initially cast (and sometimes still is) for his looks alone, but he's evolved impressively along the way, working with the likes of Stephen Soderbergh, & Bennett Miller.

He's also been involved behind the scenes, co-producing a bunch of films and as the primary writer on Magic Mike.

Only other recent example I can think of like him is The Rock -- he was ridiculous bad in The Scorpion King but put in the work over the next 15 years -- now he improves nearly every film he's in, even if it's a dumb comic book film like GI Joe: Retaliation.

separately, and not that its necessary, but more to point out some obvious things you should realize. Some facts:

-Working for a good director doesn’t necessitate you being a good actor.

-The two movies you referenced are ensemble pieces

-he isnt a leading man in either.

If you wanted to attack my points directly with "proof" you should reference some of his stage acting work, with positive critical reviews.

Marvel MCU movies cast for talent, not name recognition or appearance. Everyone else is playing catch up, or going to learn the hard way. Fox is half and half, and its sad that deadpool and gambit are cast using the "old" style, circa 1999-2007.

Tatum is a bad choice, but he is who we are stuck with

Who should we have? The next Fassbender, someone none of us have heard of yet.

You're wrong.

Channing's already proven he's leagues better than Ryan Reynolds.

Further proof? His next two movies -- "The Hateful Eight" (by Quentin Tarantino) & "Hail Caesar" (The Coen Brothers). You don't get to work with them unless you're good, as well as a box office draw.

It's easy to hate on Tatum because he was initially cast (and sometimes still is) for his looks alone, but he's evolved impressively along the way, working with the likes of Stephen Soderbergh, & Bennett Miller.

He's also been involved behind the scenes, co-producing a bunch of films and as the primary writer on Magic Mike.

Only other recent example I can think of like him is The Rock -- he was ridiculous bad in The Scorpion King but put in the work over the next 15 years -- now he improves nearly every film he's in, even if it's a dumb comic book film like GI Joe: Retaliation.

separately, and not that its necessary, but more to point out some obvious things you should realize. Some facts:

-Working for a good director doesn’t necessitate you being a good actor.

-The two movies you referenced are ensemble pieces

-he isnt a leading man in either.

If you wanted to attack my points directly with "proof" you should reference some of his stage acting work, with positive critical reviews.

Marvel MCU movies cast for talent, not name recognition or appearance. Everyone else is playing catch up, or going to learn the hard way. Fox is half and half, and its sad that deadpool and gambit are cast using the "old" style, circa 1999-2007.

Tatum is a bad choice, but he is who we are stuck with

Who should we have? The next Fassbender, someone none of us have heard of yet.

What in the world makes you think Ryan Reynolds will do poorly as Deadpool? hm And as far as supporting characters go, T.J. Miller isn't exactly a big Hollywood name until just recently.

Sigh...

1) Since when is stage acting work a prerequisite for headlining a comic book movie?

As for your maligning of "DC-style casting," did I miss all of the acclaimed stage work that Christian Bale did prior to Batman?

Or what about Heath Ledger? Did he do Broadway or West End work (a la Daniel Radcliffe) in between his movies?

2) I agree that Fassbender was inspired casting for X-Men: First Class (as was, frankly, Kevin Bacon) but it was at least his third comic book movie, after 300 & Jonah Hex (in which he was wretched, btw). He wasn't "someone none of us had heard of."

If anything, Fassbender owes his Hollywood career directly to Tarantino, as it was Inglorious Bastards that really put him on the map, and in an ensemble piece -- not a leading role (ditto Christoph Waltz, although his role was much larger than Fassbender's).

The point? Working with these types of marquee directors (even in ensemble supporting roles --gasp!) matters.

3) I love McAvoy too, who more than proved his chops in Atonement and Last King of Scotland. But he also did a prior comic book movie with Wanted, so it's not like he a) was an unknown or b) considering him for X-Men was out of left field.

Be that as it may, Tatum's evolved into a really good actor, both due to his hard work and his astute picking of projects with key directors [like Michael Mann, Lasse Hallstrom, even (barely) Spielberg, & those referenced above].

And he's done it when other wannabe (foreign) leading men (like Sam Worthington and Jai Courtney) have not -- they are examples with the charisma & skill of oak trees.

[Again, see A Guide to Recognizing Your Saints, Stop/Loss, Side Effects, Foxcatcher, and yes -- 22 Jump Street.]

Sigh...

1) Since when is stage acting work a prerequisite for headlining a comic book movie?

It isnt a prerequisite, but it was the criteria I put forth for choosing a good actor. You said I was wrong, and then talked about the "good" (debatable) directors of tatum's current productions as proof I was wrong. (You also listed ensemble movies he was in as a supporting character)

As for your maligning of "DC-style casting," did I miss all of the acclaimed stage work that Christian Bale did prior to Batman?

Or what about Heath Ledger? Did he do Broadway or West End work (a la Daniel Radcliffe) in between his movies?

This is something I said, mixed with a straw-man I didnt say. I do malign the DC-style of casting. Which is picking someone from name recognition hoping that they can carry the movie. People like Will Smith or Ben Affleck.

They didnt create the style, that's how most movies were cast, especially comic book movies. That era ended in 08, with the birth of MCU. DC's problem is they are trying to play catch up, but using the old playbook.

Christian Bale and Heath Ledger are both outstanding actors, and not hired for their appearance or name recognition into those roles, which is what I objected too. Also, both arent american ;)

2) I agree that Fassbender was inspired casting for X-Men: First Class (as was, frankly, Kevin Bacon) but it was at least his third comic book movie, after 300 & Jonah Hex (in which he was wretched, btw). He wasn't "someone none of us had heard of."

Again you are twisting what I said. For that movie I said that "no one could have predicted". People can retroactively point out their previous works, but him and mcavoy were both virtually unknown up and coming actors cast for their SKILL, not their APPEARANCE OR NAME RECOGNITION.

The point? Working with these types of marquee directors (even in ensemble supporting roles --gasp!) matters.

Another strawman, I didnt say it didnt matter. (Especially to an unknown actor climbing the ladder). I said it doesnt mean you are a good actor or make you one. Tatum is already known, and the ensemble nature of the films mentioned, relates because its much easier for a less skilled but well known actor to get cast into an ensemble film, then to be asked to carry a film with a major supporting role.

3) I love McAvoy too, who more than proved his chops in Atonement and Last King of Scotland. But he also did a prior comic book movie with Wanted, so it's not like he a) was an unknown or b) considering him for X-Men was out of left field.

He was the same thing as Fassbender, as I described above. He also was cast for his acting skill, etc etc. I never said anything about "left field". After it was announced First Class was being made, no one was going around posting "that guy from Wanted whose name I dont even know, I bet he gets cast as Young Xavier".

Be that as it may, Tatum's evolved into a really good actor, both due to his hard work and his astute picking of projects with key directors [like Michael Mann, Lasse Hallstrom, even (barely) Spielberg, & those referenced above].

As I said before, moving from a 2 to a 5/6 out of 10 for acting skill doesnt make you a "really good actor". He has improved and is decent and kudos to him for that, but Gambit is an epic character deserving of better then a bad actor who's become "decent".

What in the world makes you think Ryan Reynolds will do poorly as Deadpool? hm And as far as supporting characters go, T.J. Miller isn't exactly a big Hollywood name until just recently.

All his other films. The only possible redemption is that what the character has evolved into in the comics, is not that far from what Ryan Renyolds style of acting can cover.

All of this ultimately comes down to people's opinions. Everyone is free to have there own.

We'll see how well these films do...

images%2Farticle%2F2015%2F04%2F20%2FChanningTatumVerySad.gif

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/channing-tatums-gambit-movie-loses-823992

One source told The Hollywood Reporter that a changing -script caused the film's budget to be larger than expected, extending the shoot, and prompting the push.

I know Fox was very excited about the prospect of moving away from the X-Franchise somewhat (especially as they are losing J-Law) to have the Gambit and Deadpool movies be tentpoles.

We're far from being red-alert, all hands on deck disaster, but yet another issue regarding a director and the Fox/Marvel folks has paranoid me thinking it might be time for some major re-structuring at Fox's Marvel branch.

Deadpool will be a hit, but everything I've read seems it was realtively hands off when it comes to the studio.

The bolded part caught my eye, and I hope it's true, as IMO she was awful as mystique. No athletic ability, and a cabbage patch doll face.

Rebecca Romijn was way better, sexy, didn't move like a Clydesdale, and just a smart mature feel to her portrayal of Mystique.

I feel the same way. What I never understood is why they used Mystique so heavily in the first place. I mean, she's a cool character, but there are much better villains in the X universe.

The bolded part caught my eye, and I hope it's true, as IMO she was awful as mystique. No athletic ability, and a cabbage patch doll face.

Rebecca Romijn was way better, sexy, didn't move like a Clydesdale, and just a smart mature feel to her portrayal of Mystique.

You're dead to me.

You're dead to me.

I regret, she's not my favourite either. She brought something great to young Mystique, but I don't think she brings out the sinister side to Mystique that comic fans might be more familiar with.

You're dead to me.

I regret, she's not my favourite either. She brought something great to young Mystique, but I don't think she brings out the sinister side to Mystique that comic fans might be more familiar with.

Her acting is eh so-so. I enjoy looking at her more then listening to her.

You're dead to me.

I think she nailed the part she plays in the Hunger Games - she just wasn't born to forever play Mystique.

You're dead to me.

She's definitely overrated.

I like her and think she's a great actress (Winter's Bone, Silver Lining's Playbook, Hunger Games), but she was def. wrong for Mystique.

_Particularly_ after Rebecca Romijn nailed the role previously.

Tough shoes to fill, and I think she didn't measure up.

I like her and think she's a great actress (Winter's Bone, Silver Lining's Playbook, Hunger Games), but she was def. wrong for Mystique.

was certainly great in those two and i'd add American Hustle as well.

was certainly great in those two and i'd add American Hustle as well.

Nah -- I specifically omitted American Hustle because I thought she was the weakest link in that film.

Then again, compared to the performances of Adams, Cooper, De Niro & Renner, being the worst among them isn't bad.

A corollary - Go back & watch Glengarry Glenn Ross. Phenomenal film, but most notable is that Kevin Spacey gives, by far, the weakest performance in it.

I'm convinced she's the same character in every movie.

Or maybe that's just her acting? hm

+1

Jennifer Lawrence is unattractive, overrated, over exposed, and she was laughably miscast as mystique.

She must have one hell of an agent.

-J.

To each their own.

I'm convinced she's the same character in every movie.

Or maybe that's just her acting? hm

+1

Jennifer Lawrence is unattractive, overrated, over exposed, and she was laughably miscast as mystique.

She must have one hell of an agent.

-J.

+1

It was the hunger games, mocking jay, that really solidified my opinion of her.

Easily the worst movie I have seen in years.